Cannondale Moterra 2 and LT2 2018

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've seen that one as well. He won't post though and I expect he'll want cash rather than PayPal.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
As promised to the OP range test today

38.2miles
2093 feet elevation
3:05:31 Moving time
12.4 mph average speed
Max speed 39.6mph
500Wh died at 31miles
Modes used Tour and EMTB

p4pb16478794.jpg

The only bigger hill near me is Milk Hill at 968 feet but that would add about 20 miles on to the trip, so I made do with the Ridgeway in between Hackpen Hill and Averbury.

I would expect that if a more sedentary pace was taken akin to non e bike average speed then the 500Wh could easily reach 40miles.

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
That seems like good mileage to me. I've never even done 20miles on my bike. Maybe a more accurate way to measure the battery and motor performance would be to leave it in Eco or leave it in tour the entire cycle? While it's in EMTB you never know how much assistance your getting so you can't compare one cycle to another.
Have you tried many ebikes? It seems to be the heaviest ebike I've looked at. Whats your thoughts on the weight of ebikes?
PS I just sold my Mountain bike for a deposit yesterday. Maybe I should have upped the prize as the sale only lasted an hour

sale.PNG

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
That seems like good mileage to me. I've never even done 20miles on my bike. Maybe a more accurate way to measure the battery and motor performance would be to leave it in Eco or leave it in tour the entire cycle? While it's in EMTB you never know how much assistance your getting so you can't compare one cycle to another.
Have you tried many ebikes? It seems to be the heaviest ebike I've looked at. Whats your thoughts on the weight of ebikes?
PS I just sold my Mountain bike for a deposit yesterday. Maybe I should have upped the prize as the sale only lasted an hour

View attachment 6552
All Ebikes will feel like ships anchors the first time you lift one off the ground and this puts most people off and you have a to take a leap of faith to go for it.

I tested the Focus Jam2, Cube Stereo 160, Speccy FSR Levo and the Moterra. They all had different things going for them and I would have been happy with any of them, but what swung it for me was the price and the Bosch Motor/Batteries.

Dont let the weight put you off there is no way I could achieve the distance and avg Speed I did yesterday on a non ebike. What I am saying is that 20 miles average speed 8MPH on a non ebike is the same effort as 40 miles avg speed 12mph on the moterra. this is what people mean when the say "game changer"

I would even go as far saying that SLX VS XTR on an Ebike doesnt matter like it did before, but good wheels/tires and suspension matters more because of the extra weight.

Also when you are riding you dont notice the weight and you soon get used to it.

I am working on my video clip this morning!

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
HI Mac first time I have tried the ergon chest mount and had the gorpro to low (sorry) but at least you can see my LT1 working on a gentle downhill for 3 mins which I hit 25mph

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Found a really good review for the Monterra LT1. Use google translate to make it english.
Im Test: Cannondale Moterra LT1 – E-Enduro mit eigenwilliger Optik – eMTB-News.de

I second this:
weaknesses
  • Narrow saddle
  • The rear triangle can sag in high-speed adjacent curves
so I fitted my favourite saddle Fizik Nisene HP Sport and the Volume Spacer (largest) from TF tuned fixed the second point issue above. and I still have a spare middle sized spacer that is the next size up from the standard one - which I can gift to you if you want it, as TF tuned supply a kit with all 3 in - and I am happy with the largest one!

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
Also in that review they are missing the battery protector, I would say this is essential as rocks will come up and strike the battery case

heres is mine shown with the battery removed - so you can see the protector

p4pb16411857.jpg

p4pb16411856.jpg

p4pb16411855.jpg
Aww thats brilliant. I always the the battery was completely exposed at the sides of the straps. I didn't realise there was a cover too. I was thinking I might need to 3d print a cover of some sort.

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
I second this:
weaknesses
  • Narrow saddle
  • The rear triangle can sag in high-speed adjacent curves
so I fitted my favourite saddle Fizik Nisene HP Sport and the Volume Spacer (largest) from TF tuned fixed the second point issue above. and I still have a spare middle sized spacer that is the next size up from the standard one - which I can gift to you if you want it, as TF tuned supply a kit with all 3 in - and I am happy with the largest one!
Thanks a lot for the offer of the spacer. I'll see how I get on stock to start with. I weigh about 67kg so I may not need it. Thanks

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
As promised to the OP range test today

38.2miles
2093 feet elevation
3:05:31 Moving time
12.4 mph average speed
Max speed 39.6mph
500Wh died at 31miles
Modes used Tour and EMTB

p4pb16478794.jpg

The only bigger hill near me is Milk Hill at 968 feet but that would add about 20 miles on to the trip, so I made do with the Ridgeway in between Hackpen Hill and Averbury.

I would expect that if a more sedentary pace was taken akin to non e bike average speed then the 500Wh could easily reach 40miles.

UPDATE:

27th October I did a 42 Mile ride at a slow pace (99% ECO) Avg 8.5MPH in a group of 21 riders - I was the only EMTB (for now)- I felt a bit like a Baptist Missionary with geniune interest from at least 7 riders....anyway my plan was to see if the slower pace would extend the range- as I was on roughly the same route. so at 12.4 Avg MPH the 500WH did 31miles and as 8.5 Avg MPH the 500Wh died at 32 miles. So it seems that for a given terrain the battery lasts the same distance. So the choice is "slower for longer" or "faster for quicker" either way makes no difference on Range.

p4pb16512420.jpg

This still leaves me with the 3000 Feet challenge.

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
Your putting some serious mileage on your bike. Good on you. Thats what they are made for!
I've put my deposit down on mine at Rutland. Just waiting on the Energy saving trust to get back to me. I've applied for a 4 year interest free loan. Hopefully they don't let me down.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Cool, exactly which model have you reserved? I only just got around to cleaning the clay and cow shit off mine this morning, and its come up like new shiny penny again, I am a tad over 300 miles now, and I think the next thing to go will be the front tire. but it has at least 200 miles left in it. On Saturday I was running the tires at 20/20 but next time I will try 15 in the front.

BTW I am only just getting used to the spinning torque "ramp up", its like the more you spin the more the motors adds - assume this is where we get peak power? (thats a prompt the self inflated "know-it-all's")

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
I've ordered the lt1 yellow in a medium. I wouldn't run your psi that low. I've smashed my rear wheel the couple of times I tried running 20 psi. I run 28psi. It's too expensive to replace wheels. If your not riding rocks you might get away with it.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
HI Mac - Just wait until you start playing with the Super Gravity Vert Star tires!

The are tubeless but not folding as the sidewalls are so thick - they are basically DH Tires with an Aramid Bead (-200g over the wire bead)

I just checked and mine had 21/21 but they feel like 40 psi compared to a normal tire, so I now have 15.7 in the front.

Schwalbe // Super Gravity

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles