Anyone in Surrey climbed this?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It’s posing down today otherwise I would go and ride it this morning, or at least hike the bike up there and record the c.limb to get an idea. It’s only a few miles from me as the crow flies

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It’s the area circled in this ride when I rode down it a few years back, the gps isn’t the accurate because it was off a phone in my pocket though the woods.

4EC27B98-FE23-4377-8460-9084490DE256.jpeg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
photos really don’t do it justice.
I always think it looks easy when I’m at the bottom but when a third of the way up I ask myself what the hell was I thinking.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It's really hard to tell. I don't think I'd have any trouble in my custom eco (in med; standard is high). I climb rocky tom most rides (and descend it) - it took me a while to do it cleanly, but now it is pretty easy, although I'm covered in sweat. For this, once it gets steeper I go into trail (customised @ low; standard is high). Although, looking at trailforks and guesstimating where the Surrey track is (pretty close), it looks like 65m vertical within 300m horizontal (going by the contour lines)? That looks similar to what I climb (120m vertical over 682m) - not too steep; my climb is reasonably technical which is what makes it hard, whereas the surry one looks reasonably smooth.

I'll include the trailforks map of the box hill area - it doesn't look as though that particular track is listed.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Might make a good location for climb testing videos ?
You can make @TheBikePilot run up the stairs carrying the camera at the same time - that would make interesting footage just on it's own ! :)

The stair set of doom on the way down looks like a nice suspension test.

If it's not got a strava name already then "Beekeepers Climb" sounds like a good one :cool:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I made a route for that path in Basecamp, and this is the elevation graph it gives:
Steeper than the Rocky Tom one above, and 2.5 times steeper than the road climb - but if it has steps you know it is steep ...

Untitled picture.png

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
You can make @TheBikePilot run up the stairs carrying the camera at the same time - that would make interesting footage just on it's own ! :)

The stair set of doom on the way down looks like a nice suspension test.

If it's not got a strava name already then "Beekeepers Climb" sounds like a good one :cool:

⛰?

Haha, The Stairway of Doom is not bad either Zim ??

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I made a route for that path in Basecamp, and this is the elevation graph it gives:
Steeper than the Rocky Tom one above, and 2.5 times steeper than the road climb - but if it has steps you know it is steep ...

View attachment 60867
Well, that puts the contour lines on trailforks way out :oops: - one of them is wrong.

Ah, I think I see the problem - you've misinterpreted the garmin graph? The climb starts at a height of 92m; 106m is the height of the red marker you've made on the graph.

Going by your graph it is 48m vertical over 298m horizontal. That's 17m less vertical than what I guesstimated above using contour lines from trail forks - I got the horizontal right. Rocky Tom is steeper (and more technical). It's not a dick swinging thing, just trying to get some perspective for the original question. I'm not a great rider; I do practice climbs. I think many here would climb rocky tom first go (I didn't). I think many here could do the surrey climb on a clockwork bike - I reckon I could.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well volunteered Steve ..?
I'm just genuinely curious why something so innocuous looking on a map is called an insane gradient and is so difficult to climb ..
NOOOOOOO! :eek:

Not me! I wasn't the one that said "'tis but a pimple!"

When it comes to climbs and descents, we all know that photos never do them justice. (Well, not the ones I take anyway).

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm just looking at the grade % of Rocky Tom:

View attachment 60874
Correct. You've got the grade percentage for where that yellow spot is; just like the red spot on the other graph, that's all. It's negative because it's been recorded DOWN. It gives the other details of that spot too, that it is 339m from the start (going down from the top, because it was recorded going down), and that it (the yellow spot) is at an elevation of 151m.

That's 119m climb over 682m. The 119 is negative because it was measured going down. The grade on the other graph is for that one spot where the marker is. Just roughly 682m divided by 119 is 5.7. 298 divided by 48 is 6.2. This just shows that 119m is a bigger proportion of 682m than 48m out of 298. So rocky tom is steeper, and technical.

If you're looking at the details on the graph line itself, well again, that is for the yellow spot that only. Look at the details above the graph. And don't let the 3m climb confuse you; that just means on the way down that track there was a 3m climb. Although coming down it I don't know where that is - it's rowdy, fast and furious.

You folk are beginning to worry me :oops:; I was terrible at maths and statistics - I hated graphs and charts :(

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Correct. You've got the grade percentage for where that yellow spot is; just like the red spot on the other graph, that's all. It's negative because it's been recorded DOWN. It gives the other details of that spot too, that it is 339m from the start (going down from the top, because it was recorded going down), and that it (the yellow spot) is at an elevation of 151m.

That's 119m climb over 682m. The 119 is negative because it was measured going down. The grade on the other graph is for that one spot where the marker is. Just roughly 682m divided by 119 is 5.7. 298 divided by 48 is 6.2. This just shows that 119m is a bigger proportion of 682m than 48m out of 298. So rocky tom is steeper, and technical.

If you're looking at the details on the graph line itself, well again, that is for the yellow spot that only.

You folk are beginning to worry me :oops:; I was terrible at maths and statistics - I hated graphs and charts :(

I just picked a random section around that path and looked at various points on both of them to compare ... So let me pick the central section:
1620519929839.png

With your maths applied to that it is 120m / 30m = 4 which shows this is steeper than Rocky Tom.

I've not ridden either, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Rocky Tom must be flat as a pancake in comparison - I think my blind granny could ride up it into a headwind going backwards on a unicycle ... ;)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I just picked a random section around that path and looked at various points on both of them to compare ... So let me pick the central section:
View attachment 60944

With your maths applied to that it is 120m / 30m = 4 which shows this is steeper than Rocky Tom.

I've not ridden either, but it seems pretty obvious to me that Rocky Tom must be flat as a pancake in comparison - I think my blind granny could ride up it into a headwind going backwards on a unicycle ... ;)
It's not my maths, or the same graph; I'm lost :(. Or is it that you've just picked out (randomly) the steepest part of the climb - I think that's it. Ok, yes, the steepest part of the surrey climb is from 100 to 130m - that's an amazing coincidence for a random selection:). I assume you know that your green line starts at 100m elevation; so your red mark is at 10.5m vertical gain from the start of your line? I think what you're trying to show is 10.5m / 40m? I don't understand the significance of that.

Now, If I picked out the steepest section of climb from rocky tom, what would we have, as a fair comparison of course? Don't think I can with trail forks.

It's cool - it has turned into a dick swinging contest, and therefore no longer useful to compare. I'm sorry for that and concede that Surrey is definitely the harder climb, by a huge factor.

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
It's not my maths, or the same graph; I'm lost :(. Or is it that you've just picked out (randomly) the steepest part of the climb - I think that's it. I assume you know that your green line starts at 100m elevation; so your red mark is at 10.5m vertical gain from the start of your line? I think what you're trying to show is 10.5m / 40m? I don't understand the significance of that.

Yes I picked out the central 120m of my original graph where the steep section is - and considering it over the full length (of the new graph), not at the random highlighted point. So it shows 30m rise over 120m horizontally.

But it's still not as steep as here Baldwin Street in New Zealand reinstated as the world’s steepest street | Guinness World Records :p

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles