Sell quickly and move on, or stick with it?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have noticed that some members buy and sell emtbs on a regular basis. I can see that used emtb prices are high, but new emtbs are rarer than hen's teeth. I really like my emtb and I can't think right now what I might replace it with. All the likely options are not only more expensive, but heavier. In addition I have spent time and effort on the bike with upgraded suspension and servicing. It would be much cheaper to buy a new motor and battery (if/when they fail) than to lose money on it and buy a new one. I don't have a need to own the latest development in bike tech.

Any ideas as to the optimum time to sell an emtb? (Yes I know, how long is a piece of string?)

Is it better to buy a new emtb, have fun with it for a while and then sell it and buy another? In which case how soon before the warranty expires?
OR to stick with it for years and years?
Curious about what I would actually get for my 19 Levo paid £7000. Your saying good price on second hand Ebikes. No problem selling if the price was good but I find it hard to believe i would get much more than 3 grand if as much as that . Must post and see wish me luck.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Curious about what I would actually get for my 19 Levo paid £7000. Your saying good price on second hand Ebikes. No problem selling if the price was good but I find it hard to believe i would get much more than 3 grand if as much as that . Must post and see wish me luck.
If it's in good nick and you have receipts for the suspension servicing you should do better than £3k. Are you wanting to sell or just curious to know what its value is?
If you really want to sell, and if you can afford it, I'd make sure you have a replacement in the garage before selling or you may be bikeless for months and months.....and months! :eek:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
If it's in good nick and you have receipts for the suspension servicing you should do better than £3k. Are you wanting to sell or just curious to know what its value is?
If you really want to sell, and if you can afford it, I'd make sure you have a replacement in the garage before selling or you may be bikeless for months and months.....and months! :eek:
I am curious but if i thought i could get
£5000 i would definitely sell . I have other bikes in shed so no worries. Old story what its worth and what you get offered are entirely different.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I am curious but if i thought i could get
£5000 i would definitely sell . I have other bikes in shed so no worries. Old story what its worth and what you get offered are entirely different.
Whenever I have sold a bike it was always for less than I thought it was worth. But then I knew how much time, effort and money I had spent on the the bike. The buyer could only see what was in front of him, along with a big dose of suspicion! I wish I had not sold my last bike a Whyte T130C RS. I only got £1800 for it and I wish I'd kept of as a spare bike and then I could be giving it to my grandson for his birthday.

If you are multi-biked, then you will have less attachment to each one and freer to sell when the market is high. Go for it! Let the Forum know, as I'm sure your Speccy friends would be keen to know.
To maximise your selling price you have to give confidence to the buyer. Remember the golden rule of selling bike stuff: "Put in the advert what you would want to know!" (I was looking at shocks on eBay today and many were "Rockshox Deluxe - used". No i2i size or travel, no designation of which shock it was, no indication of age, miles covered, service details, not even what bike it was from, nothing! :unsure: No wonder it was still for sale).

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Whenever I have sold a bike it was always for less than I thought it was worth. But then I knew how much time, effort and money I had spent on the the bike. The buyer could only see what was in front of him, along with a big dose of suspicion! I wish I had not sold my last bike a Whyte T130C RS. I only got £1800 for it and I wish I'd kept of as a spare bike and then I could be giving it to my grandson for his birthday.

If you are multi-biked, then you will have less attachment to each one and freer to sell when the market is high. Go for it! Let the Forum know, as I'm sure your Speccy friends would be keen to know.
To maximise your selling price you have to give confidence to the buyer. Remember the golden rule of selling bike stuff: "Put in the advert what you would want to know!" (I was looking at shocks on eBay today and many were "Rockshox Deluxe - used". No i2i size or travel, no designation of which shock it was, no indication of age, miles covered, service details, not even what bike it was from, nothing! :unsure: No wonder it was still for sale).
Agreed, i was thinking of selling my Nicolai top spec 2014 model as it has only been out twice since I bought Levo . Cost a lot but I wouldn't get a fraction of what it is worth.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
sorry but it really won't be worth anywhere near what you seem to think it is.
Top spec or not no 2014 bike is worth very much today.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I was only thinking the same thing the other day, my bike is only 2.5 years old it's not outdated by a long shot, I thought if the motor or battery failed once the warranty runs out, I would just replace those items, rather than spend 5 times as much on buying a brand new bike, it just would not make sense financially... I love my bike, as long as the electrical components are available I cannot see myself ever selling it.
Agree especially with 4 year warranty on Levo. On second motor now will have had bike 2 years in June . Ideally motor goes in 3rd year get a new one put it in to bearing man before it's used . Probably need a new battery. Rest is the same as any other bike really. Could even spray it or invisitape? thing that some do . Be like a new bike sorted. ?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My first motor was one of the noisy ones good performance just a bit noisy worn components can be replaced over the years so a new bike is not even on the cards
Yes agree I got 2600 miles out first motor probably about a thousand on second one so far. Three bikes in shed 2014 Nicolai model, Dawes tourer 2012, Alves custom hardtail 1995 . Only one I would think of selling is Nicolai probably as it is a waste sitting there unused. But see no reason for selling the Levo saying that some folks had multi motors I couldn't handle that.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
The new Rise has convinced me to move on , i did convince myself that the SL was the way to go but im glad I waited.
The rise seems to hit the sweet spot for me especially in the weight / power depts.
As for keeping ebikes for years, I think they are becoming just another consumer electronics item, and one which gets battered shaken and rain soaked regularly .
Cant be good for longevity.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My old bike (2018) only gets ridden if my levo is in the shop.. I've had a great run with it recently actually...
Yes I only used my Nicolai once when waiting for new motor it was hard work amazing how the fitness goes. Just seemed so slow but I'm old now . Saying that out on my road tourer last week it was spot on .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Itw

It's a slog isn't it!! What I really dislike was from a standing start not having that "zip" as you ride away! Once im up to speed it's not so bad.. Headwinds suck arse on an analogue bike.
Yes agree I went round block on it a few days ago snail pace. Really should sell it . Mind you if the motor or battery ever goes on the Levo when I'm out in the sticks I will be wishing I was on the analogue .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Granny gear all the way home! Actually mid cassette ain't tooooo bad.
Luckily only had to do it once for 3 miles off road not great then motor kicked in again. I love remote areas and hills so if I do get caught out it will be an epic getting back . Happy riding.

LetRippr

Apr 21, 2021
Devon
I have an Orange Charger Factory, will only look to change when they bring out a version with a larger battery, love the bike, does everything I need from jump parks to trail riding with no complaints. Just carry a spare battery currently. No problems with Shimano motor so far, can't fault Orange customer service either, few display issues with water ingress and they have just sent a replacement twice, just first class! Maybe if I wasn't totally happy with the bike I would sell and buy until I found the right one........my mate loves his Trek Rail but constantly worries about rock strikes on the carbon frame, that's why I prefer aluminium

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have an Orange Charger Factory, will only look to change when they bring out a version with a larger battery, love the bike, does everything I need from jump parks to trail riding with no complaints. Just carry a spare battery currently. No problems with Shimano motor so far, can't fault Orange customer service either, few display issues with water ingress and they have just sent a replacement twice, just first class! Maybe if I wasn't totally happy with the bike I would sell and buy until I found the right one........my mate loves his Trek Rail but constantly worries about rock strikes on the carbon frame, that's why I prefer aluminium
Got a aluminium plate on mine for rock missiles. Yes can't see me changing at 7 grand looking for a good few years out of Levo .

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
First i am just an outdoor guy. I have read a lot about ebikes for about 36 months. Here is just my understanding.
Many buyers dream about a motorcycle to climb(a thing they hate) so they change for a bit more nm, they change fore more battery, they change because some marketing sold them some shitty product not ready. They are sick from motors needing replacement, bike in the shop, errors.
Here we only see a sample, i am sure some change because they work in the industry and have nice discounts.
The **reviews** pretend they fixed the problems but some companies put a ton of money in lies and marketing so they still sell bad products year after year.
The internet is used to distort reality so decisions are too often emotional.
At 63 i like proven. I am not attracted to new.
I love my Yamaha wich is almost unchanged since 2016.
Why cange a bike that keeps on rolling with a bit of lube?

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I just sold my 10 month old Trance E+ 1 2020 and replaced with Trance X 1 29er.

I paid £3700 and got £3350.....lucky due to the current market.

The new one has the enhancements I wanted - bigger battery, better colour (yes really), better cable routing and a 29er.

It will stay with me for a few years.

There are people, I know some, who change every year.

The market will change when supply catches up to demand.

Hahaha. Just came across this. I now have the 2022 on order.

Bigger battery, different colour…….

I can’t help it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles