Tannus Armour

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Had never heard of it til yesterday, anyone have it installed and if so care to comment on it ?

For the life of my I can't get the rear of my cube tubeless so this looks like a good road to go down.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have a Cube and finally installed Tannus Armour in the rear Tyre. I was getting so many punctures even with a Mr Tuffy tyre liner.

I have 2.6 Nobby Nics.
Get the Tannus which goes up to 2.5. It fits perfectly.
You might want to use a smaller tube. I use a 2.5 max tube inside the Tannus and it’s great.

You are meant to use a reduced PSI of between 5 and 10 to your Normal pressure. I’m using 28 PSI at present and seems ok.

also if you did manage to get a flat which is very unlikely then the Tannus is thick enough to allow you to ride the bike slowly home.

I have heard of people using much too low a pressure in the Tannus and getting a pinch flat but if you use a sensible pressure then nothing really is going to puncture the Tannus. The thickness of it is incredible.

i guess the main drawback is the extra weight. It is twice the weight of a Mr Tuffy liner but probably 100x thicker. Therefore I’ve only got a Tannus in the rear at the moment.

some find it difficult to put in but it was fine and you will probably never have to do it again.

it really is a well made product. Virtually indestructible

the only video I saw where someone could cause a puncture with it in was to repeatedly stab the tyre with a dagger ?
They also managed to cause a puncture by taking most of the air out and repeatedly bashing the wheel on the edge of a brick to create a snake-bite pinch flat as the Tannus pinched the tube.

Last edited:

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Like all things pressures are relative to riding style and weight of rider.

I've ordered one for my rear (oh err missus) so will go from there.

Did you have to trim it or just fire it straight in ?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
A moderator could combine a little all these insert, lights, etc. threads. Otherwise information will be as decentralised as in Facebook.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There's already a fairly long tannus thread .. It only needs someone to search before they post..

The latest update even proposes similar threads to stop people double posting ..

It's not the end of the world, sometimes it needs a fresh insight.

Lots of threads also diverge, once it's then too long - say , if you merged them all .. no one bothers to read it all - how many times do you see thread which has reached two pages and the whole third page is people responding without reading the rest.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
There is also tubeless armour :

Thanks, it's not on the Aus tannus site.
Gotta ask...why bother? Tannus means no tubeless gunk for me, and I live with the dead feel as the price

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks, it's not on the Aus tannus site.
Gotta ask...why bother? Tannus means no tubeless gunk for me, and I live with the dead feel as the price
It doesn't work on upside down tyres.

Marketing ? Grab part of the tubeless market ? The runflat idea is nice I guess .. but you're not going to actually ride properly like that and it's another 150g a tyre. Would make more sense in my head just to run a 150g heavier/stronger/more puncture resilient tyre ?

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
It doesn't work on upside down tyres.

Marketing ? Grab part of the tubeless market ? The runflat idea is nice I guess .. but you're not going to actually ride properly like that and it's another 150g a tyre. Would make more sense in my head just to run a 150g heavier/stronger/more puncture resilient tyre ?
Is another 150 grams a big deal on 23kilo + bikes ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In theory no, as a comparison to the weight of the bike as a whole. But, it's 150g of unsprung weight which can make a huge difference to handling and performance. The bike will accelerate slower, turn slower, the suspension won't be as effective or efficient.

In fairness, for most of us, we probably wouldn't notice the difference.

As an example, I run DH22's - these weigh about the same as if you'd hand carved some solid tyres and rims from a block of teak.

They certainly accelerate slower, but I love them even though they should in theory be a handling and performance disaster.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

There's something about tannus that gives a dead feeling, particularly on the front. I've never been able to decide if it's the foam slowing down the tyres response / dampening out small input, or if it's weight related. It definitely isn't fixed by adjusting tyre pressure , and it's not a traction issue - just harder to bounce of things. I've tried adjusting fork pressure and dampening but can't seem to fix it.

So perhaps unsprung weight, I guess the easiest way to decide how you feel about 150 gms is to add an extra 150 ml of sealant?

Either way, if it means no sealant I can live with that dead feel

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Today I had a puncture in front tyre. A nasty thorn.
Tannus armour in back and Mr Tuffy in front. I’ve just ordered a Tannus to go in the front. After using Mr Tuffy for 6 months I’m not very impressed.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Anyone with a Tannus insert store their bike with the tyres deflated? I read somewhere that the insert becomes compressed over time and needs to be stored deflated so it can recover its shape.

is this true?

Madmatt75

Nov 22, 2018
London
90F74447-3DB2-4866-826D-F6C2CA214799.jpeg

Thanks Tannus. If I was using just tubes or tubeless, I would have been walking home. Proof they do work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles