Batteries - Remove to Charge?

basqueMTB

Feb 23, 2021
Spain
I´m just curious really. What do people do for charging their batteries? I see that a lot of bikes are going to fully integrated batteries, like my Orbea Rise, which offer huge advantages in terms of form, weight and security. It does mean that you have to charge bike + battery in a one-er. I reckon that all bikes have to go that way as cutting massive holes in the downtubes can´t ever be the best solution but I wonder if we will ever get fast chargers or similar so we can re-charge our bikes at the bar while we have our post-ride beer?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I tend to charge on the bike, unless its cold out, in which case I remove it to charge in the house.

I hope it doesn't go towards all integrated batteries as I like being able to carry a spare and swap out.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
I remove mine to recharge it. Keeps it temperature controlled, (take it indoors), and I then also know all the connections are clean, and dry.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I´m just curious really. What do people do for charging their batteries? I see that a lot of bikes are going to fully integrated batteries, like my Orbea Rise, which offer huge advantages in terms of form, weight and security. It does mean that you have to charge bike + battery in a one-er. I reckon that all bikes have to go that way as cutting massive holes in the downtubes can´t ever be the best solution but I wonder if we will ever get fast chargers or similar so we can re-charge our bikes at the bar while we have our post-ride beer?

After that time I forgot to unhook the charging cable and ripped the charge connector apart I always charge inside. Plus my Arizona garage is hot as hell in summer so I need to bring the battery inside anyways for 8 months of the year.

basqueMTB

Feb 23, 2021
Spain
Interesting! I wonder if there are going to be some new solutions. I honestly don´t see many manufacturers (just the opinion of a nobody!) keeping with removeable batteries unless the motor companies don´t give them that option. It´s just so inefficient and I think now that lots of companies have good ebikes the next pushes are going to be improving autonomy and reducing weight, which are obviously linked.

Jimbob, we do that a lot too. I´m (ahem) 20kg heavier than one of my guides and we often swap batteries half way through the route to even things out. I´m not sure if he really believes me when I tell him it´s to help him because my battery is a bit lighter now that it´s half empty! The range extender on the Rise is cool for that, a really neat solution.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles