Exposure 4000LM Ebike Light

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
This ended up in the Bosch thread so moving it here for you all to see.

Just had a good chat with USE Exposure Sales - the lights are due end of October, and the Optix Models are for the German Market only ( due to thier "lights on all bikes all of the time" law) so we want the Flex E MTB - which will be 4000lm - plenty of time to save up or get it on your Christmas list!!!!

E-Bike Lights - Bike - Exposure Products | Exposure Lights | Made in the UK

flex_full_res.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Did they explain how the lights are controlled?
buttons, modes, remote?
And can they be run from an external power supply (So they can be used on normal bikes too)

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I guess so as the bikes bosch is 6Volt so the light will not know the difference as fron the bosch motor or a 6 volt battery pack for normal bikes

Also yes it will have a button on the handle bars

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
This is NOT supplied by the 6V (12V) output of the motor.

The main power comes from the battery and the motor output should be used as the switch.

Depending on the input circuit, it may work with an 8.4V battery pack.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Yes I just meant that on Bosch there is a cable from the motor to supply power to the front light - mine is currently disabled so after I have plugged the cable in and wired it up to the light I will have to go to the bike shop to get it enabled - and by default bosch front light power supply is 6Volt but the shop can up this to 12Volt - but only via thier software! I dont know about other motors

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
if you watch this from 48 to 1.03 you will see the cable for the front light being fitted, can you show me how to connect the light to an in frame Bosch battery (only joking)

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
if you watch this from 48 to 1.03 you will see the cable for the front light being fitted, can you show me how to connect the light to an in frame Bosch battery (only joking)
This Lupine light needs about 10 W so no problem tu use directly the motor output.

4'000 lm, it would be closer to 50 W, way too much for this same output. So, again, you need to connect it directly to the battery. External or internal battery is a non-issue.

JoshDwnHll

Sep 22, 2018
South Australia
The bosch system is only recommended to 18w and the light is controlled using the + button by pressing and holding for the light to come on and off. I have mounted a 12v lightforce light on my haibike works brilliantly but not quite as good as 4000lm haha

20180809_183507.jpg

JoshDwnHll

Sep 22, 2018
South Australia
Just thinking about it there is a front light plug and rear light plug maybe if you join the 2 it may allow a higher wattage as its shared but this would need confirmation from bosch

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
I could see the point of that if you were riding really technical routes (or jumps maybe?), but not for normal riding. Surely the fun of night riding is going half the speed but feeling twice as likely to crash?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I could see the point of that if you were riding really technical routes (or jumps maybe?), but not for normal riding.
That is some folks normal riding. (day or night)
I agree though. 2000lm on the bars and 900 on your head will get you down/over anything you can in daylight at daylight speeds. (it'll often feel faster though)

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
yeah but the flex e will have Reflex+ which will probably read the speed of the bike and lower the output when going slow and up the power when going faster. but on our ebikes slow is 12mph is slow and fast is >16MPH - so I hope this comes with Exposures blue tooth configuration ability! otyher wise ythe reflex+ will be on 4000 lumens all the time! Cant Wait to order mine as all I have now is 720 and 1800 :
p4pb16419665.jpg

Last edited:

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
That is a ridiculous amount of money for a LED light. :eek: I guess that is the bike industry keen to pull your pants at every given opportunity.

Surly you just want your light to turn off and on.. forget all the other useless gimmicky stuff

Buy a Chinese led light on flea bay or Ali express, bin the cheap battery that comes with it (or use it for something else (mini range extender :p) , then get a cheap variable dc,dc step down for about £5 on Ebay which will fit neatly behind one of the accsess panels, Tap into your main motor feed. or other appropriate wire (model specific) ....... job done

you have a light that does exactly the same job for well under £40

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
All exposure lights are ridiculously expensive. But they're not comparible to any £40 Ebay/AliXpress light. Exposure offer different models from basic to international spy levels of gadgetry whether or not you think it's gimicky and simply not required it is up to you. Others will disagree. (I'm somewhere in the middle FWIW)

I am interested in this
cheap variable dc,dc step down for about £5
idea though.

I can't believe other brands aren't jumping on the idea of a battery for Ebikes yet. Shimano especially as Shimano motor users already have a socket for plugging in lighting at the back of the bar mounted display unit.

Thewootts

Aug 19, 2018
united kingdom
All exposure lights are ridiculously expensive. But they're not comparible to any £40 Ebay/AliXpress light. Exposure offer different models from basic to international spy levels of gadgetry whether or not you think it's gimicky and simply not required it is up to you. Others will disagree. (I'm somewhere in the middle FWIW)

I am interested in this idea though.

I can't believe other brands aren't jumping on the idea of a battery for Ebikes yet. Shimano especially as Shimano motor users already have a socket for plugging in lighting at the back of the bar mounted display unit.

Yep a friend if mine has the shimano..perfect solution, just plug your existing lights straight in. I found it hard to believe that the other motors like bosch and broad don't have a similar thing.

No matter what the marketing strategy is a side by side comparison in the dark I think the difference will be negligible at best. But that's just my opinion.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Having actually ridden with riders using super expensive exposure lights while I have been using chinese lights (3000lm bar/900lm head). My opinion is different to yours.

What do you mean just plug the light in?
Isn't the output from a shimano display unit a different voltage/current to most Ebay lights?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Those Chinese lights do take some beating really. Although I’ve got a really expensive led lenser twin light it’s not a lot better and I still use the Chinese one as well on my helmet .
The problem with the Chinese lights was the battery quality but you can buy the same lights for about £6 with a usb plug and no battery , I now use this version with the little usb battery packs you buy to charge phones , which are smaller and last longer than the Chinese batteries . I also have a usb attachment for my Dewalt power tool batteries that will run 2 usb connections , a4ah Dewalt battery powers the lights for a long time , in fact the slimmer 2 ah is plenty for most night rides .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For my chinese lights I have custom battery packs made with high capacity Panasonic 18650 cells for all my chinese lights. by this guy.
A-OK battery | eBay Shops
Massively more burn time. infact my helmet light is a solarstorm X2 with just a 2 cell pack and short battery lead so it's not too bulky helmet mounted and it lasts twice what the chinese 4 cell packs ever could.

I'm finally ditching cheap chinese lights for the bars on my mtbs this winter though as I just bought an all in one 1600lm bike light for shorter rides (upto 2.5hrs ish using the modes sensibly). Funnily enough it has a USB socket and can be used to charge phones etc too.
I am also just about to buy a more advanced (better flood/beam control) proper bike 3000lm bar mounted light for longer rides.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I got one of these cheap at the cycle show 2 years ago , they are £100 dearer now but an amazingly versatile light with long burn time and usb aux socket on battery , so many features I have to learn how to use it again each year , each side is switchable and has a separate focus , the auto brightness function is very clever too. Not sure I would want to pay the current price but still cheaper than exposure and more versatile

Review: LED Lenser XEO 19R Light

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That does look a brilliant light. But unfortunately it's pretty much in Exposure price territory at £275

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Had a quick google. it seems that they are available for £199 a few places but it's the running version without all the bike mounts/accessories. £250 was the best price I found with all the bike stuff. A good price for what it is but still almost twice the price of the 3000lm light I'm interested in buying.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I love USE Exposure lights for the following reasons:

1 British Company in the South of England - so buying from them creates English Jobs
2 I have had the Enduro Light from 2009 and it still works perfectly - including 3 hours on full power
3 The 6 pack i have had from 2010 and used it alot and on full power 1800L it still last 2 hours and then goes to orange for another 1 hour.
4 - my 10 year old wall plug chargers still work with red light charging and green when full.
5 So £320 for the E flex light which should be as good quality as my old lights will work perfectly and last me 10+ years at least.
6 all my other lights during the last 10 years are dead or crap (lezyne/cateye/BLT)
7 I dont mind paying more for a British Company as they are great at designing products for the UK MTB market ( same goes for MudHugger)

Last edited:

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I’m still using my Lumicycle lights that I had for donkeys years, think I’ll stick with them for now. Although it would be interesting to see what would be required to hook one up to a steps motor directly.

Think I’ll mail them and ask the question.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Mate, I think you might be taking your love of Exposure a little too far. Highpeakrider is Emailing LUMICYCLE and you're asking him to call Exposure.

:ROFLMAO:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles