What Pad's are we all using..?

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
I have the stock pads in the SRAM Guides that came fitted as standard on the 2018 Levo, and all's been okay.. that was until riding in the wet the other day when they decided to act like a squealing banshee, brake power was alright but got fed up with the noise, (although was handy to warn folk I was approaching!).
Never seemed to have this problem before in the past, so might be just the stock pads.
So just wondered what you all have.. :unsure:

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
On my bikes with Code callipers (Specialized Demo 8 and Kenevo) I'll always fit SRAM genuine sintered pads. My other mountain bikes (Epic and Enduro) fitted with SRAM Guide/Avid Trail callipers I'll usually run SRAM Guide sintered pads front and rear but occasionally I'll use an organic pad on the front end.

The SRAM Guide Brakes are on the Levo Models that sport them are the "RE" Model. These are a hybrid of a SRAM R Lever coupled to the old model SRAM/Avid Code calliper. A combination that makes total sense when you consider what is being asked of the brakes on an E-Bike. These callipers are essentially a brake for proper DH riding, are designed to run hot and usually are fitted with sintered pads. Sintered pads do get noisy when they are damp and not up to proper operating temperature. The Code callipers are designed to dissipate heat more efficiently than your average trail brake hence the pads and rotors take longer to get to a temperature where they can dry themselves out. As @Allysnell says "a bit of hard braking" will quiet them down.

SRAM Guide RE brakes come with sintered pads as standard so if you are not into riding steep stuff you could seek out and try some organic pads rather than the sintered variety. Organic pads won't last as long sintered pads but they tend be much quieter.

Jonowinter

Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Bournemouth
@Jonowinter What was it you were using? You found some proper good value ones I believe?

I went for the sintered option by Superstar components for my Guide RE brakes.

Sintered Disc Brake Pads - Superstar Components

They are much better value than the standard Sram pads that I fitted previously, so far they have been really good, not any more noisy than the Sram pads and stopping power is on par. Superstar do offers occasionally discount codes so sign up to their news letter to get notified when they have deal on, I managed to pick up FOUR pairs of pads for £11.50 a few weeks ago, amazing value.

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Cheers guys, used to use Superstar for my old stumpy, those brakes were Carbon Hayes.. first time I used SRAM

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I use the superstars as well. Went for the ones with the cooling fins - better then the standard but no idea how they compare to other after market pads. Look kewl tho?

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
im struggling to find Sintered pads for Shimano SLX M7000 or compatibles, i have the organic in there at the mo but have worn through them quickly, anyone know anywhere? North west area Uk would be nice ;)

Allysnell

Sep 16, 2018
Winchester
Anyone else struggling to get sintered pads for dram codes? Trying to get the avid nukeproof sintered but have been told by trees that they won't be in stock till mid January.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
superstar or uberbike sintered on all my bikes (mainly shimanos and Guides)
no issues at all.

Bought uberbike semi-metalic by mistake once - big mistake. in the alps they were awful

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles