So she bought one.....

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
That was a bargain! Well done and enjoy ?
Because we are just using her mum's old bike to trade in as well we've kept hers to sell on gumtree. It's only a Carrera but only 4 months old so should get about £140 for it as it was £300 new. So on top of the bargain already we will put that towards the bike. So the bike will be around £1160 when all said and done ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Bongofish you know all your questions about fast rolling tyres for your bike?
Those smart sams yer Mrs bike comes with are decently fast rolling but still off-road worthy. whack them up to 40 and see how you like them all round. They're cheap too.
Racing ralph for the rear is also a good fast option.

Last edited:

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
@Bongofish you know all your questions about fast rolling tyres for your bike?
Those smart sams yer Mrs bike comes with are decently fast rolling but still off-road worthy. whack them up to 40 and see how you like them all round. They're cheap too.
Racing ralph for the rear is also a good fast option.
Cheers @Gary I read that when reading up on the tyres. The price of them has made me a bit weary but if they seem good I may just do that. ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There are cheaper versions around. I've ridden the bulk buy versions. Even if they're the OEM ones they're not bad. maybe a slightly harder compound (not a bad thing if rolling speed's important) but otherwise pretty much the same.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
@Gary I meant the price of them being so cheap has made me wonder if they are any good. Especially as on my Vitus the tyres may be slow rolling but are meant to be a real good tyre and a descent price (if price means anything I guess). To be honest I think I'm going to take my bike to LBS tomorrow and get the tyres on my Vitus into tubeless and ask if I can watch. The Mrs's bike also gets delivered tomorrow so have to try and stay in for that though. Can you believe she orders it at 2pm yesterday and it tried to be delivered at 1pm today! I found that crazy as it took 9 days for my Vitus to come.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The tyres on your Vitus are DH tyres. They're very good for DH/Enduro racing. That's not what you do.
Tubeless won't make them noticeably faster rolling.
it'll just make them a bit lighter.

Your Vitus came from Ireland and needed a special delivery courier.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Just out the box and tightened up and now charging. Haha.

20180929_120051.jpg

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Both the front and back disc brake when you squeeze them they slowly slow you down. You can make it skid but would have to squeeze very hard. Anything I can do?

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
I just read your other thread (after the 'weeks most popular thread' email (y)) and was just about to post a thread on the same subject, with what we did (same position as you) - but well done, that looks like a perfect bike for your 'brief' (y) - being able to share the rides will mean you (both) get out more - all good!
I'll post my thread anyway, as it seems to be a common 'conundrum' - 'my partner wants an ebike....'

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles