Ebike power learner problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 7464
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7464

Hi guys, I came across a problem with ebikes today that never crossed my mind.
While out was out having a bit of a blast around the trails, I came across a small bunch of lads that had hired ebikes of which 2 had crashed. It turned out that they were riding in full power through some tight technical stuff and cos of the speed the bikes gathered in full power they got out of shape and had big offs.
The problem I think is that some folks aren't that skilled on a bike and are going out spending god knows how much on a bike that in effect is far too powerful for their ability.
I know there isn't much that can be done about it apart from rely on common sense but the amount of folks that dont have any beggars belief. ????

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hope they were ok.

I can't see it happening often (assistance being the cause for an accident) ? Maybe thats just me ..

For starters, your assistance runs out at 25kph and on many a trail you're going to be doing a lot more than that anyway, so the assistance is irrelevant.

You also have to be pedalling, so even in Turbo/Boost/God mode, you have to be interacting physically to reach that speed and maintain it. Invariably if the terrain is gnarly, twisty, rocky, rooty, bumby, it becomes considerably harder to keep pedalling to actually end up going too fast for the terrain - unless you're a better rider, in which case, it's not too fast for you anyway.

That said, on my first EMTB?! The Decathlon with a hub drive .. that was plainly dangerous sometimes as there was no crank sensor, only a crank position sensor which picked up each revolution. So you'd be in full assist, stop pedalling to ineptly guide yourself through an obstacle only to be propelled on at full assistance as it's not yet realised you're not pedalling anymore. With brakes as effective as a box of wet matches, you found yourself in some difficult situations ! :)

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Yep, I've seen this before - in fact I nearly inadvertently hospitalised my best friend (a road cyclist) by letting him loose on my FF bike: despite all of my very clear - and repeated - warnings and demonstrations of what to expect, he thought he knew better. He rides motorbikes too, and was convinced that no "pushbike" was going to get away from him.

It did not end well, and this wasn't even on difficult terrain. TBH I'm kinda surprised that it doesn't happen more often than it seems to.

D

Deleted member 7464

Common sense isn’t necessarily common. Never has been. What you’re describing is the innate human condition that plaques or blesses us all, and isn’t exclusive to eBiking alone.

In the battlefield the lack of it can endanger everyone or earn the offender a medal of honour.
I'm not pointing it at ebikes, more the lack of common sense of the rider.
It's like putting a learner driver in a bugatti and expecting them not to use the power. Then being surprised when they crash.
I was just stating an observation, not trying to slate anyone

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Hope they were ok.

I can't see it happening often (assistance being the cause for an accident) ? Maybe thats just me...
... says the guy with a Zimmerframe for an avatar! ? Of all people, you should know that any form of assistance is a good excuse for an accident ?

I’m mighty impressed your first response was to see if the guys that crashed were ok. ?

My first MTB was a hardtail with 2 inches of pretend fork travel up front with no damping. My next MTB was a full suspension with plush and properly damped 100mm travel front and rear. It was a dream to ride. Night and day comparatively over the first half of the trails I ride, boosting my skill and confidence with each corner and obstacle I conquer. Until I got to that mud puddle... at the bottom of a high speed coasting DH section - which I ALWAYS avoid. But hoho not today dude! I’m on my brand new FS MTB (first ride) and its looong bottomless travel will soak that up easy and??? How come the sky is in front of me, and why is my back on the ground, and what’s my bike doing up there in the air... hmmm, and why does it look like it’s headed straight towards me? And why is time moving so slowly? :unsure:?

(In about two seconds in real time: Front wheel got caught suddenly. Mud puddle was way deeper that it looks and instantly flicked the bike into a front-flip. It threw me OTB superman style into a somersault and I landed on my back... and my bike landed on me.:rolleyes:?? ) Sh*t happens.?

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I’d say it Gives non athletic people the ability to look athletic. Usually if you’re not athletic it’s because your skills don’t revolve around anything active, thus you have shit for coordination.

it’s like when I took a super hot California chick hiking. She fell all over the place like a retarded drunk puppy. Didn’t even understand how to weight your foot when stepping on uncertain terrain I just couldn’t comprehend how she made it so far in life. She’s now made it pretty damn far with all my money.....
Id like to see how well you fare in her world. Somehow I can’t imagine you being so graceful on a catwalk with high heel stilettos ? hehe. Or then again I could be wrong about your athleticism. ;)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
it’s like when I took a super hot California chick hiking. She fell all over the place like a retarded drunk puppy.
I mean ! What did you expect !

chick.jpg

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
Im definitely one of them emtb newbies and came off a couple of times while riding at Sherwood pines simply because I was too keen in the twisty stuff in turbo mode. Found speed very quickly when being in the very right gear but at the wrong time.

Admittedly, I loved it because it surprised the S**t out of me how 85nm hooked up and sent me flying. I have learned since but it isnt half addictive. :p

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles