What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I'm not happy with the stock front tyre - Spesh Butcher 2.6 - as it loses traction in cornering and slips suddenly.

I've tried going from 24 psi, 22, 20, 19 and finally 18 psi, with no clear gain on cornering traction. Running tubeless, weigh 72kg.

I'm looking to replace the Front Butcher with either:
1) new Schwalbe Magic Mary Super Trail 2.6 (1250g)
2) new Vittoria Mazza Trail 2.6 (1100g)

Anyone with experience with these tyres?

Don't think I need the MM on Super Gravity nor the Mazza on Enduro / e-bike versions (aprox.1400g)

I ride a mix of varied terrain, mostly trails, not enduro, which includes sharp rocks, lose dirt, hardpack and everything in between, including mud every now and then.

The others on my short list:
- Maxxis Assegai - apparently best for dry
- Michelin Wild Enduro - apparently best for wet
There is nothing much wrong with the Butcher but it does require you to transition quickly to the side knobs or get used to the slip as the tyre leans over if you do it more gradually. If you want to avoid that feeling you need a tyre with intermediate knobs between the centres and side knobs. Both the Wild Enduro front and the Assegai have transition knobs between the centres and the side nobs, and the Wild Enduro has very aggressive side knobs which make the tyre super grippy on turns. I have Assegai 2.5 Max Terra EXO+ on 27.5 on one bike and Wild Enduro ( Front specific) MAGIx 2.4 on 29inch. Both are fantastic tyres.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Well, what a nice experience changing out my rear tyre (unlike @steve_sordy ha ha*).

My old Nobby Nic broke the bead extremely easily using my hands, and came off with one tyre lever ran round the rim. The new Shorty went on with no tools at all - I fully expected that to be a bitch as it's the DD casing, but no. And since I used proper rim Tape (WTB) there was no mess to clean up apart from some left over Muc-Off sealant. Took about 6 mins.

View attachment 45682

* I feel for you brother!
Thanks for that. :)
I believe that there should be a special lower circle in hell where those who recommend Gorilla Tape for rims should spend the rest of eternity stripping off glue from rims. :devilish:

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Vittoria e-Mazza 2,6 is a nice tyre. Can be have cheap (in Europe), ez to mount tubeless and seems to be pretty durable.
Grip is better than DHR 2 but rolls lil bit worse. Good combo as rear tyre paired to a MaxxGrip Assegai up front for winter riding.

AlexR

Oct 10, 2020
Portugal
Vittoria e-Mazza 2,6 is a nice tyre. Can be have cheap (in Europe), ez to mount tubeless and seems to be pretty durable.
Grip is better than DHR 2 but rolls lil bit worse. Good combo as rear tyre paired to a MaxxGrip Assegai up front for winter riding.

Thx, very interesting that you prefer Assegai up front, instead of Mazza.

Your opinion, and others, make me wonder now:
- Assegai (new MaxxGrip in EXO+ 29x2.50 1150g) vs
- Magic Mary (new Super Trail in Soft Addix 29x2.60 1205g)

Not many will have experience on these new versions, but what about Assguy vs MM as an all-round front tyre?

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
For what little it is worth my bike came with assegai front and rear. i've been through some proper slop and dry conditions with pine needles and it has felt planted everywhere. All i did with the wetter weather was run a bit less pressure.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Ok this thread now has my attention! I’m sporting maxxis minions dh tyres but recently had the scare of my life when I tried taking out a tree head first, sadly the tree took me out, although I’ll joke a lot I thought for a minute that I’d broken my back as it went numb!

As you can see my friend slips first, I’m too busy focusing on the fun jump coming up and I just slipped too, headed for tree 1, pushed off that with my hands and then flew into tree 2!

Is this just me being shit, unaware of risks and generally being a noob, or is there any fairness in saying the tyres are just crap and better ones would have gripped as they should, even in wet muddy conditions?

On a side note my rear wheel is on back to front as the shop cocked up, not sure if that can make a difference, they were saying that would just slow me down if anything

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Ok this thread now has my attention! I’m sporting maxxis minions dh tyres but recently had the scare of my life when I tried taking out a tree head first, sadly the tree took me out, although I’ll joke a lot I thought for a minute that I’d broken my back as it went numb!

As you can see my friend slips first, I’m too busy focusing on the fun jump coming up and I just slipped too, headed for tree 1, pushed off that with my hands and then flew into tree 2!

Is this just me being shit, unaware of risks and generally being a noob, or is there any fairness in saying the tyres are just crap and better ones would have gripped as they should, even in wet muddy conditions?

On a side note my rear wheel is on back to front as the shop cocked up, not sure if that can make a difference, they were saying that would just slow me down if anything
Tires matter, at the same time they are not a cure for everything. Know your tires under all conditions, ride appropriately.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames

Get some jump practice in somewhere with a more open landing. Neither of you looked like you were going to clear that double. Technique not tyres...

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Nice have you tried thi

Nice have you tried these ones before Maxxis Assegai/Dissector Tire Combo: Rider Review
I prefer the assegai, aggressor for my wet sticky trails. I'm currently using an assegia dissector on one bike (oem) and find the dissector underwhelming in winter conditions.

The assegia is hard to fault on traction alone, but it does plug up in heavy sticky mud.

They will all slip at some point. No tire is magic. Balance and line choice, technique and grace and power are the only magic that works.

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
Does Michelin dh 22 work at lower temperature? in near 0 celcius,not frosen and ground still loose. As Michelin siter says "whatever the temperatures".

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Spain manufacter thing is crap but on bike industry we are not that bad (maybe because all is made in China after all)

Heres i a tire brand maybe some of you don’t know. Make homeland always! Love your country. America ferrrrrrrst

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: cra

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes, it may increase your drag, reduce your top speed and your range a bit. But it will also reduce your braking power because the ramps on the blocks are facing the oncoming ground when braking. All marginal though. But I need all the help I can get.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Thanks for that. :)
I believe that there should be a special lower circle in hell where those who recommend Gorilla Tape for rims should spend the rest of eternity stripping off glue from rims. :devilish:

Was shopping for rim tape at a LBS .
Mechanic offered Gorilla Tape or Rim Tape . I tut tutted his Gorilla Tape offer . And said I know what can happen with that stuff . Proper rim tape please . He said - oh but you can use it for other purposes too . I explained I have gaffer tape at home for those sort of jobs TY . ?

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
I’m only getting the Michelin’s as I like the yellow and blue ??

That big bearded fella managed to get a couple of DH34’s down my chimney ? ??
DD312F5D-FD7E-444C-AF3C-B52FA640ACB5.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Finally a decent post for anyone who hasn't ever thought about what's going on between the ground and their tyres in an otherwise huge car crash of a tyre thread. ?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Finally a decent post for anyone who hasn't ever thought about what's going on between the ground and their tyres in an otherwise huge car crash of a tyre thread. ?
I Think every tyre thread becomes a car crash on any forum , be it cycling, motorcycling or even cars etc .
So many different inputs often from users who havent got the experience to tell the difference .
i think most of us get drawn into a certain brand that we like , we then begin to understand that particular manufacturers specifications and jargon names for them enabling informed selection
what would be good is a tyre comparison table , with tyres grouped for type of use , wieght and rolling resistance etc . There is so much research required to find tyres that suit your needs and finding comparisons is difficult .
for instance Michelins Latest range get great reviews but I can’t find any info on thier website about tyre wieght or other specs . The ones I’ve managed to ride grip very well on the downs , but the drag on hard surfaces was like my ebike without the motor

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Coming from a motorcycle and track background, where tyres are much easier to understand. I gotta say that MTB tyres and this thread blows my mind! lol :eek:

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Thx, very interesting that you prefer Assegai up front, instead of Mazza.

Your opinion, and others, make me wonder now:
- Assegai (new MaxxGrip in EXO+ 29x2.50 1150g) vs
- Magic Mary (new Super Trail in Soft Addix 29x2.60 1205g)

Not many will have experience on these new versions, but what about Assguy vs MM as an all-round front tyre?

To stay on topic. Swapped my Assegai up front to a WTB Verdict Wet 2.5 for winter riding. Much better grip and self-cleaning in muddy conditions than Assegai. Makes a lot of difference. Mazza on the rear can‘t really hold on to the Verdict but it’s still manageable. For a less slidy rear I’d consider the normal Verdict or something along the lines of Magic Mary.

Last edited:

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
Well, what a nice experience changing out my rear tyre (unlike @steve_sordy ha ha*).

My old Nobby Nic broke the bead extremely easily using my hands, and came off with one tyre lever ran round the rim. The new Shorty went on with no tools at all - I fully expected that to be a bitch as it's the DD casing, but no. And since I used proper rim Tape (WTB) there was no mess to clean up apart from some left over Muc-Off sealant. Took about 6 mins.

View attachment 45682

* I feel for you brother!
I see you're in Scotland so similar winter conditions to me in the IOM. Are the Shorty's suitable for both front and rear, or do you have something different for the front?

Thanks

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
How are the DH22 and DH34 in Winter conditions? Would you recommend DH22 front, DH34 rear as a combo?

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If only michelin had thought to give details of intended conditions for each on their website, packaging and info blurb for online sellers ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles