commencal 2021

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
But this situation still su**s.
You buy a bike with the price tag of a small car and can't be shure, that it doesn't fall apart on your first ride.
Imagine buying a new car, where your door falls off after the 10th time you open it.
No one would tolerate that ...
This is where a local bike shop can be a benefit over direct to consumer. My local bike shop takes up to 4 hours to build a bike (which most places would think is way too long) because they go through EVERYTHING and add grease and torque to spec as necessary. But when a customer buys a bike from them they will never have to call back and complain that it’s creaking, or a bolt fell out, or it’s not shifting correctly, etc.

And yet a still have owned a few direct to consumer bikes knowing that I will spend a bit more time myself setting it up.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
This is where a local bike shop can be a benefit over direct to consumers. My local bike shop takes up to 4 hours to build a bike (which most places would think is way too long) because they go through EVERYTHING and add grease and torque to spec as necessary. But when a customer buys a bike from them they will never have to call back and complain that it’s creaking, or a bolt fell out, or it’s not shifting correctly, etc.

And yet a still have owned a few direct to consumer bikes knowing that I will spend a bit more time myself setting it up.

My LBS, where my Meta Power currently is, they are a Specialized Dealer. My road bike is a Specialized Allez Sprint and I also own the Specialized Stumpjumper Evo from 2020(I will keep that bike for BikePark days). They also do Shimano E-Bike stuff as they are also an official Shimano dealer. For a couple of euros, they do all for me including checking and updating the Shimano engine if needed. Just spend the extra € for your peace of mind. Leave the bike a couple of days to be 100% certain all is good.

Between brackets, they are pretty cool tho. When they have parts that are more expensive than online, they show me where to get it :p I guess I have always been quite lucky with bike shops :) Just be a normal person with them and keep open contact with them. Drink a beer with them if necessary. Now they are mounting my Saint Brakes and Renthal parts I got online. :cool:

GCSquared

Nov 17, 2020
NorCal
Yesterday after my ride I sent emails to Commencal and eThirteen regarding the end cap and spacer(s) that went missing when my crank arm fell off. eThirteen replied and said "Unfortunately Commencal doesn't install the cranks with the correct torque after a recall change of the motor of the bike. But if you can let us know your address, we are happy to send over the parts free of charge under goodwill." I'm sure Commencal will reply soon as well.

robbyfritzler

Nov 6, 2020
Northern California
ye founded , what I meant is that it is not a well sealed engine cover and the contacts seem exposed to me. however great bike, I'm mounting the whole hope braking system

Im also thinking of installing hopes on my essential. The SLX brakes feel lackluster and prone to heat fade.
Did you go E4 or V4? How did the install go? I’d be stupid to keep the shimano 203 mm rotors right? After looking around, if I ordered brakes today it would be 5 weeks til I get em..

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
For a couple of euros, they do all for me including checking and updating the Shimano engine if needed.

If they bill you for updating the STEPS unit, they rip you off. ?
It just takes a smartphone, the (free) shimano app, 30 seconds and literally zero effort...

Reactions: rb.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Does the Commencal use E13 Cranks rather than the Shamano ones? Seems like an odd choice, might be they aren't that great

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Do they have the safety/security plate like the Shimano cranks? Its effectiveness is something that has been debated down the years but it's supposed to locate the cranks correctly and prevent the crank walking down the spindle.

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 19.05.44.png

robat

Nov 12, 2020
Germany
Does the Commencal use E13 Cranks rather than the Shamano ones? Seems like an odd choice, might be they aren't that great
Might be, since all the E13 stuff is "ok" at best...
But Shimano crankarms will also fall off, if not attached properly.

GCSquared

Nov 17, 2020
NorCal
Do they have the safety/security plate like the Shimano cranks? Its effectiveness is something that has been debated down the years but it's supposed to locate the cranks correctly and prevent the crank walking down the spindle.

View attachment 45397
Mine does not have the retaining clip unless it fell out when my crank arm fell off.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
update: DO NOT DO THIS! as predicted the software senses something is wrong & shuts it down, happened to me after about 1 hour today, error code E050. I swapped it back to normal & rebooting didn't clear the error, luckily after about 10 minutes of very painful climbing it self-cleared & all was good again.
What, are you saying riding a 54lb bike uphill with no power was hard? cmon man eat your spinach ?

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
if anyone is considering swapping to different length E13 e*spec crankarms, here's the response i got when i asked about availability:
"Our e*spec plus cranks for the Shimano EP8 Motor are OEM only at the moment, but we'll get them in the aftermarket early next year and then you'll find them available in the shop also."

ie these offerings currently on their website are NOT compatible:

of course shimano crankarms is another option, which would likely involve having to swap out the chainring as well (?). chainline/Q-factor/EP8/frame compatibility makes my brain hurt so i'll probably stick with E13 until i settle on a final length, then consider upgrading to XT.

Capture.JPG

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Yesterday after my ride I sent emails to Commencal and eThirteen regarding the end cap and spacer(s) that went missing when my crank arm fell off. eThirteen replied and said "Unfortunately Commencal doesn't install the cranks with the correct torque after a recall change of the motor of the bike. But if you can let us know your address, we are happy to send over the parts free of charge under goodwill." I'm sure Commencal will reply soon as well.
Well this seems to be a rather critical issue that Commencal needs to address. I mean this is some serious sh*t that can (already has looks like) cause serious injury. And I need to go get me a torque wrench asap

GCSquared

Nov 17, 2020
NorCal
Well this seems to be a rather critical issue that Commencal needs to address. I mean this is some serious sh*t that can (already has looks like) cause serious injury. And I need to go get me a torque wrench asap
Commencal just replied and stated that I will need "to tighten the preload cap down to 2-3 nm and then tighten the two pinch bolts on the crank arm. You’ll want to tighten 1 bolt a half turn, and then switch to the other bolt and tighten a half turn. Keep alternating every half turn until you’ve reached 16 nm on each bolt."

VX10

Nov 5, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
Hey, anyone happen to come across a serial number or frame number somewhere on the bike? Meta Power Essential here and failed to find one for insurance detail.

ShaneBean

Sep 2, 2020
West Virginia
Commencal just replied and stated that I will need "to tighten the preload cap down to 2-3 nm and then tighten the two pinch bolts on the crank arm. You’ll want to tighten 1 bolt a half turn, and then switch to the other bolt and tighten a half turn. Keep alternating every half turn until you’ve reached 16 nm on each bolt."
This is the same response I got. Noteworthy the e*13 spec says 14 nm on the crank.

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
Hey, anyone happen to come across a serial number or frame number somewhere on the bike? Meta Power Essential here and failed to find one for insurance detail.
There are some stamped numbers in a couple of places I can find:
On the back of the motor mount and inside the chainstay
7E330122-4E74-45DA-B8AD-E06E365D3CA9.jpeg

9A3B483B-BFD6-4B54-ABFE-003AC87533A1.jpeg

beneseleve

Nov 18, 2020
Austria
Hi guys!
Got my SX yesterday had some issues with DHL because package was opend. Delivery guy told me it can happen. Build everything up nothing was missing or damaged but now i tried to charge the akku outside the bike and an adapter is missing! Do i have to buy it or di

robbyfritzler

Nov 6, 2020
Northern California

just what I came on here for, thanks!

JW9

Sep 5, 2020
UK
Hi guys!
Got my SX yesterday had some issues with DHL because package was opend. Delivery guy told me it can happen. Build everything up nothing was missing or damaged but now i tried to charge the akku outside the bike and an adapter is missing! Do i have to buy it or di

The adapter to charge the battery off the bike is not included, you need to buy it separate.

btw, when i received mine from DHL last week, the box had been opened and then re-sealed with about 100m of DHL packing tape! I think it might be due to a customs check.

pabloantu

Sep 10, 2020
Spain
Hi mates! Rear wheel spokes on my 2021 meta essential came completely loose from Commencal

What is the spoke tension for the DT swiss Hybrid 552/ sapim strong 2,3/2,0mm? I'm not able to find this info

Ps: 100kg rider on top of the bike

Thanks!

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Hi mates! Rear wheel spokes on my 2021 meta essential came completely loose from Commencal

What is the spoke tension for the DT swiss Hybrid 552/ sapim strong 2,3/2,0mm? I'm not able to find this info

Ps: 100kg rider on top of the bike

Thanks!
I don’t think there is a “spec” for spoke tension. Most important thing is to get them even and the wheel true. Park Tool has a wheel builder app on their website that can help you out if you have the proper tools.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
Just got an email from Commencal related to the cranks. I have translated this so the English might not be the best :)

"You have just received your Meta Power and we appreciate your confidence! So that you can fully enjoy it, we would like to stress two points that we invite you to check:

Depending on the use, the E13 pedal may require a slightly higher tightening torque than that applied to the assembly. On the production line, they should be tightened to 12 N.m. However, we recommend a tightening torque of 16 N.m., so that you can use the pedal unit safely. Here below we send you some assembly instructions:

To ensure uniform tightening, please perform this operation in four steps:

1. Tighten the screw on the inner side of the frame to 12 N.m.
2. Tighten the screw on the outside of the frame to 12 N.m.
3. Tighten the screw on the inside of the frame again to 16 N.m.
4. Tighten the screw on the outside of the frame again to 16 N.m.

If you do not feel comfortable carrying out the recommended manipulations or do not have the necessary tools, there is no problem, you can go to any specialized shop of your choice and we will reimburse you for the labor costs incurred

In some cases the Shimano V 4.1.1 engine update will bring the system into safe mode, limiting torque to 25 N.m. If you are in this situation please contact us so that we can solve the problem. "

Great news imo :)

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
trying out this phone app for battery percentage, garage test works. also will do all the assist settings. haven't tested the top speed deregulation/premium app yet.
same dev also has ST ride app which looks cool, gives you fraction of ride spent in various modes etc. haven't tested yet.
both previewed here:

shenchman

Aug 22, 2020
California
found a source for the EP8 off-bike battery charging adapter:

note for lithium battery longevity it's best not to charge or store in very cold or hot temps aka your garage!

here
note url says BTE60 which doesn't fit, but item pic & label is BTE80

ordered! ¥6,520 JPY = ~$62 USD with shipping

bte2.JPG

bte.JPG

SM-BTE80.JPG

beneseleve

Nov 18, 2020
Austria
Just got an email from Commencal related to the cranks. I have translated this so the English might not be the best :)

"You have just received your Meta Power and we appreciate your confidence! So that you can fully enjoy it, we would like to stress two points that we invite you to check:

Depending on the use, the E13 pedal may require a slightly higher tightening torque than that applied to the assembly. On the production line, they should be tightened to 12 N.m. However, we recommend a tightening torque of 16 N.m., so that you can use the pedal unit safely. Here below we send you some assembly instructions:

To ensure uniform tightening, please perform this operation in four steps:

1. Tighten the screw on the inner side of the frame to 12 N.m.
2. Tighten the screw on the outside of the frame to 12 N.m.
3. Tighten the screw on the inside of the frame again to 16 N.m.
4. Tighten the screw on the outside of the frame again to 16 N.m.

If you do not feel comfortable carrying out the recommended manipulations or do not have the necessary tools, there is no problem, you can go to any specialized shop of your choice and we will reimburse you for the labor costs incurred

In some cases the Shimano V 4.1.1 engine update will bring the system into safe mode, limiting torque to 25 N.m. If you are in this situation please contact us so that we can solve the problem. "

Great news imo :)
Got the same mail, but how am i supposed to tighten the inner screw at the chainring? My torque wrench cant fit in it doesnt work with an extend either! What kind of tool do you use? Tomorrow is maiden ride and i dont wanna fck up my ankle as @ShaneBean did it! looks painfull dude!
Damn just updated the DU

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles