Maxxis vs. Michelin?

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
H have been a big Michelin fan in the past. I loved their slow rebound compounds. comp 16 comp 28 The rockr 2 included. I got a few Michelin WG enduro front 2.4” 29er tires. Moderate weight at about 1000g. Tubeless was easy. Good casings. Great dry conditions grip. I hated them in the wet on slick roots. I have not tried the gumx compound; I have only used the MagiX2 compound. Sadly it did not seem to maintain the slow rebound characteristic but felt quite hard and skittery on rock and bumps. My main interest in trying the Michelin line was to try to find a lighter and faster rolling summer tire. It did give me a little more range over the Assegai but not enough for me to be inspired.

I still have interest on the Michelin DH22 downhill casing tires but after my experience with the enduro front I just stick to maxxis MaxxGrip Assegai DH casing. I can plow over rocks on launch without fear my tires and rims will get damage.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Haven’t tried the remade DH22/DH32, but there isn’t any reason I would pick comparative other Michelins over other Maxxis tyres.

I would pick an Assegai/DHR combo over the Wild Enduro combo every day of the week.

They feel like something comparable to the OE dual compound Maxxis in terms of grip.

FWIW I don’t run anything bigger than a 2.5 - no interest in semi plus tyres either.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I thought the eWild front was good in the wet, not so much in the dry. The eWild rear was very good but heavy and wore out faster than expected. I’m currently running an Arseguy ? and DHR on the front and rear on my Whyte and think it’s an excellent combination. So, aside from the looks I don’t think the Michelins bring anything to the party that can’t be found with Maxxis rubber.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I thought the eWild front was good in the wet, not so much in the dry. The eWild rear was very good but heavy and wore out faster than expected. I’m currently running an Arseguy ? and DHR on the front and rear on my Whyte and think it’s an excellent combination. So, aside from the looks I don’t think the Michelins bring anything to the party that can’t be found with Maxxis rubber.
Yes it is, but have to be Gum-X

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've got a 2.5 Shorty arriving today to replace the rear 2.8 Nobby Nic. Mainly to cope with the Scottish mud and clag.
This Shorty is my favorite emtb rear tire for Kentucky mud clay! I run a Tannus Armour with it, and silly low pressures, when needed on rainy days.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My favorite combo so far this winter is actually an ewild front, and shorty rear. Not one brand vs the other, but both together.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Ive buckled too many maxxis carcasses to every want to buy another one.
What kind of riding? I've only ruined one maxxis carcass and it delaminted after 6 months, but my trails are pretty slow and hardly any jumping.

I've read elsewhere of downhill guys tearing the bead away from the maxxis carcass.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Not what you asked, but replaced my rear DHR2 with the new Shwable Big Betty. Went with the soft (not ultra soft) and handling was like night and day. DHR always lost traction on loose dirt, and roots (especially wet roots). Big Betty grip far superior on these surfaces. Didn't notice much difference in rolling resistance or on the hardpack.

maker

Feb 13, 2020
North Wales
I did 50k yesterday on my regular MTB with the new eddy current ebike 2.6 front and rear tires. It was on trails and single tracks in the mountains here in Germany. The tires are awesome and I don’t think rolling resistance is bad at all. I hit some roots and sharp rocks where they should have cleaned off the side knobs and the tires are perfect still.
Use 2.8 Eddy Current on rear which is great but mud clings.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I really liked the DHR/DHF combination for general grip, but found them a bit draggy (and noisy) .(2.8's)

Really really liked the e-wilds for grip and general confidence running 2.6 and 2.8 but wished I'd also gone 2.6 on the rear. The front wore slightly faster than I'd have liked and became unpredictable once worn. In really really sloppy conditions the rear would eventually lose traction.

Presently on the DH22's in 2.4. Weigh about the same an e-Wild 2.8 rear so initially I noticed some reduction in acceleration, but seem to have adapted to that. So far they've been faultless and bullet proof. You seem to be able to slam then into pretty much anything with complete incompetence if you mess up and they just deal with it. Keep in mind they don't fold and they're not the easiest things to put on and off. However, they do inflate easily and don't POP on they just sort of slowly slide into position with a normal pump. Tried them for a few weeks without sealant and they were also fine like that.

As with all Michelin Tyres they come with garish side walls, which everyone knows makes you faster .. If you don't like that, they soon get dirty.

dh222.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles