Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

onkelshort

Aug 26, 2020
Germany
Seperate question, size large SL comp, maximum seatpost insertion length? I've tried to call Specialized Rider support 3 times in last week, sent 3 emails, crickets on their end, Covid message says everyone isolating...limited full specs on their site, best I can figure is stock post overall length 438mm but no breakdown on insertable length, want a post I can slam to post clamp.

Also no information on "specialized" rear hub specs, comes HG driver with boat anchor NX 12 speed cassette, want to change to XD driver, tried to disassemble rear hub but need 12mm hex and maybe 14mm hex to get HG freehub body off best I can figure, have DT swiss XD freehub body in-hand

View attachment 43547
I tried this, too. But there is no compatible XD driver available. Speciialized rear hub is called DT 360, as they only label it with ROVAL. I bought DT360 PAWL driver, but this is too small, so that there is no interlock as the inner pawl are to small in diameter and the body does not fit the spacer of the HG body, too. Reply from LBS is no driver available to their knwoledge. I tried 3 different shops.. If you find something please let me know.

Last edited:

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Was it difficult to drop the motor?

Not really. The one tip I have is when mounting the motor, start with the allen key that thread from the inside of the frame outwards on the rear two bolts. The first time I put the motor in I saved that bolt for last and was having trouble getting the threads to start. I think that area has a high prone to cross threading, so I recommend you start with that bolt while its easier to make slight adjustments to how the motor is sitting in the frame.

Another tip: The motor stays in the frame pretty well by itself, it is a snug fit. When I first undid all the bolts I was definitely looking for a last bolt, but firmly placing my palms over the cranks and pushing straight down pulled it out fairly easily.

Another thing to watch out for is pulling the cable guides out of the frame. In order to pull the rear pivots apart enough to really get at them, I recommend unbolting the derailleur and brake caliper. The internal routing guides tend to pull out of the brake exit on the chain stay, but pulling the cable slack out via the brake caliper seems to pop it back into place in the chainstay. I was super nervous after pulling it out of the stay the first time I pulled that pivot apart. The drive side main pivot is reverse threaded as well.

Now that I have done it once, I would say the motor could come out in a few minutes. Remember the drive side has two bolts that thread through the main motor bolts, so you will need to take out the bolt that holds the rock guard and the bolt that holds the chain guide before you are able to access the actual motor mounting bolts.

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Finally got all the noises out. The chainring bolts were snug, but not too tight on the spider. They were making a small click under high pedal load.

This week I have:
- disasembled the rear suspension and cleaned and regreased all the pivots
- Pulled the shock and put a light coat of grease on the top and bottom of the spring (this was making some weird noises through compression at time)
- Pulled the motor and cleaned all the inaccessible parts that the motor covers
- Wrapped the internal guides to silence my creaky door hinge sound
- Pulled the fork and cleaned and regreased the bearings and seats.

Now I just need to go ride it! I have to get some work done at the dentist today that is going to require some numbing. Hopefully I can ride afterwards without biting my tongue off haha.

LosiSA

Nov 17, 2020
South Africa
Seperate question, size large SL comp, maximum seatpost insertion length? I've tried to call Specialized Rider support 3 times in last week, sent 3 emails, crickets on their end, Covid message says everyone isolating...limited full specs on their site, best I can figure is stock post overall length 438mm but no breakdown on insertable length, want a post I can slam to post clamp.

Also no information on "specialized" rear hub specs, comes HG driver with boat anchor NX 12 speed cassette, want to change to XD driver, tried to disassemble rear hub but need 12mm hex and maybe 14mm hex to get HG freehub body off best I can figure, have DT swiss XD freehub body in-hand
Hi Squeegee,

You get 2 different Roval wheel sets;
Comp comes with Formula hubs (Transverse SL)
Expert get the DTswiss internals Hub. (Transverse SL)

You will require this part number to move to XDDriver on Formula Hubs, I actually got it from my Specialized dealer locally (in South Africa) I'm sure your store will keep them..
Specialized Formula XD Driver Freehub (11 Speed) (FH-535HA)
Part number : S162100006
1605612808323.png

LosiSA

Nov 17, 2020
South Africa
Hi Squeegee,

You get 2 different Roval wheel sets;
Comp comes with Formula hubs (Transverse SL)
Expert get the DTswiss internals Hub. (Transverse SL)

You will require this part number to move to XDDriver on Formula Hubs, I actually got it from my Specialized dealer locally (in South Africa) I'm sure your store will keep them..
View attachment 44617
O and you will need a 15mm hex and 17mm cone wrench, easy enough to do.

LosiSA

Nov 17, 2020
South Africa
I tried this, too. But there is no compatible XD driver available. Speciialized rear hub is called DT 360, as they only label it with ROVAL. I bought DT360 PAWL driver, but this is too small, so that there is no interlock as the inner pawl are to small in diameter and the body does not fit the spacer of the HG body, too. Reply from LBS is no driver available to their knwoledge. I tried 3 different shops.. If you find something please let me know.

mtbrdan

Aug 5, 2020
Scotts Valley,CA
I just got an SL comp about a week ago, took to bike park yesterday, a buddy let me borrow his RS super deluxe most of the day (from FF Levo), whoa--transformed the rear suspension in a big way vs. little air shock that came on the bike.

My question to anyone who reads this and has upgraded their SL to coil, which ones can accommodate a water bottle without the piggy back getting in the way? RS super deluxe and normal size waterbottle don't play well.

Seems like DVO Jade X might give good clearance (no pics here with waterbottle!)

Anyone tried a Fox coil? DHX2 or other?
Push 11-6 fits just fine.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
I am riding CaneCreek DB IL Coil which does not have a piggyback. So enough clearance. Great damper in combination with progressive spring for LEVO SL imo.
I have a non-levo 210 x 55 version (had to mount it upside down to clear the frame) on my Levo also with the progressive spring...I’m probably going to get another one for my SL.

Last edited:

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I have a non-levo 210 x 55 version (had to mount it upside down to clear the frame) on my Levo also with the progressive spring...I’m probably going to get another one for my SL.
I am riding CaneCreek DB IL Coil which does not have a piggyback. So enough clearance. Great damper in combination with progressive spring for LEVO SL imo.

can I ask you both what spring rate you went with and what weight you are?
thanks

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I weigh around 220 lbs. and use their heaviest spring 550-670.

I've owned a CC iL with a normal valt spring and it was brilliant. I had 600lb Spring and weigh about 190lbs. I wasn't sure whether to go for the same as you or the one below when I purchase a new shock

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Totally failed attempt at trying a new loop on the Isle of Skye, from Luib to Torrin and back via two glens. It all looked so easy on paper.

Levo SL aluminium, XL, with Ohlins coil fork and DHX2, and some blingy Zipp wheels with King hubs. All useless today, I’d have done just as well on a Chopper :)

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
I've owned a CC iL with a normal valt spring and it was brilliant. I had 600lb Spring and weigh about 190lbs. I wasn't sure whether to go for the same as you or the one below when I purchase a new shock
I used the 650 previously...thought the 550 progressive would have too much sag...luckily I lost 10 - 15 lbs...I expected more pedal strikes.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Does anyone have any tips for running a new rear brake line? Necessary to drop motor and/or remove battery? Sure would be nice to know if I can push a new line straight through without dropping motor. Want to run magura mt7 line to rear, already fitted front brake, SL comp large.

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
Does anyone have any tips for running a new rear brake line? Necessary to drop motor and/or remove battery? Sure would be nice to know if I can push a new line straight through without dropping motor. Want to run magura mt7 line to rear, already fitted front brake, SL comp large.

No need to drop the motor.

you'll need to remove the rear wheel, unbolt the chainring, then chainstays. The hose is fairly simple. Internal riuting is a no brainer, through chainstays, pull back stays from frame, then run hose up the middle hole out and it pops out the front. Make sure the hose isnt frayed. I sprayed a touch of wd40 on mine to get it to slide in a bit easier.

all in all not to hard.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@squeegee - I'm not familiar with Grizzy's method, but you can just pull a new brake hose through the frame by connecting it to the old hose with a brake hose barb. You can 1) cut the OEM hose at the rear caliper and pull the new hose to the front (recommended to replace crap Guide R brakes), or 2) disconnect the OEM hose from the front brake, pull it and an old hose to the back (to save it), then attach the new hose to the old one and pull it to the front. I like @Grizzy 's suggestion to a little spray lube. Easy, breezy.
barb.jpeg

sonix

Oct 18, 2020
Germany
Hi,
I had two days and my SL was rebuilt.
According to the motto, "Black is colorful enough" ...

the black beast :D

beast.jpg

It was not that easy to get everything black, the silver decals of the Pike had to be removed and exchanged for stealth ...

decals.jpg

and then that ugly silver scraper the reverb ...

reverb.jpg

the result...

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

and a few more details ...

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

detail3.jpg

detail4.jpg

The weight is now almost exactly 18 kg.
Now drive, adjust and test first.

cheers (y)

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
Got my comp carbon two weeks ago.
Already made 2 trips to Eifel National Park (Belgium-Germany border).
I can’t say enough how happy I am with this bike. I considered the turbo levo as well. And SL was definitively the right decision! No problem to ride with buddies on full fat ebike, and man this is so nimble, crazy for an emtb!
To me this is the perfect bike! :)

6C6A41F0-BA80-44B1-A3E0-5C653F410924.jpeg

Last edited:

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Be interested to know if you can just use the range extender and ride without the internal battery...
You can. Specialized makes quite a big deal of this from a "travelling abroad with the bike" point of view: airlines won't carry a bike with its internal battery in place, but will carry it with the battery removed and and an extender (or two) in your luggage.

Ntinos

Oct 5, 2020
Athens, Greece
Mine is also ready at last :)
20201122_111913.jpg

First ride, 25 km in 1:50 hrs, with 775m elevation, only in eco mode, and spend ~30% battery (7 bars left)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles