Interesting Shimano patent

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This appears to be a patent for a motor/software which detects when you are ascending or descending, automatically increasing assistance on uphill, and backing off on the downs.

Its very tech but some of the diagrams give an insight into how the motors calculate their output based on your input - I did wonder if the patent is really relating to software modes, but then I dont think the E800/EP8 has the ability to know if its going up or down?

A bicycle controller controls a motor in accordance with the riding environment of a bicycle. The bicycle controller includes an electronic control unit that is configured to control a motor that assists in propulsion of a bicycle in accordance with operation of an operation unit provided on the bicycle. The electronic control unit is further configured to change an increasing speed of an output torque of the motor in accordance with at least one of an inclination angle of the bicycle and a change amount of the inclination angle of the bicycle.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shimano file a lot of patents that never actually materialise.
Call me a ludite but I sorta hope this is one of those.
10gears and 3 modes is more than enough "control" over my immediate riding environment thanks.
What's next? A self parking mode for the trail centre cafe? ?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Shimano file a lot of patents that never actually materialise.
Call me a ludite but I sorta hope this is one of those.
10gears and 3 modes is more than enough "control" over my immediate riding environment thanks.
What's next? A self parking mode for the trail centre cafe? ?
Arise Sir Gary :D

400px-Luddite.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah I was just going through some of their patents and came across it, agree not something I would want but I can see the use in the computer market - I thought the diagrams of how the software calculates and delivers power vs human input where quite interesting though.
They have a lot of patents out recently for automatising things - e.g a very similar one to the Fox Live Valve idea, again linked into a motor, and an electric dropper post, again linked into motor.

Also, I looked at their gearbox patent and it appears to be more similar in concept to what Honda did than anything else.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
Maybe its gyroscope is the cause the rattle in the new motor :p

Could see an issue overpowering a wheelie......not really something thats needed, mode button and legs will do.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
wait till your wireless rear mech is hooked up to your motor for an 'autobox' shifting you selected the cadence and the bike works out the rest..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles