What walkie talkie for trail rides

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
So in order to make comms a little easier for the person at the front and the back has anyone any experience with walkie talkies? I see no licence ones under 10k then licence UHF (ultra high frequency) spanning like 35 miles etc, which is kind of epic but weirdness at the same time. Are there some worthy perks to getting a licence and getting into this odd realm at all, either way open to suggestions.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You do know you'll sound like a sex worker ..

"Click".
"----- HEAVY BREATHING -----"
"Oh christ no, not that hole"
"Shite, that hurt .. mi balls I went too deep..."
"Click".

"Click".
"Squelch Squelch ..... total gibberish" ..
"Click".

"Click"
"----- HEAVY BREATHING ----"
"Scream of wet brakes....."
"Rapid hard banging" downhill section or stairset of doom ....
"Feck YEAH That was the best"

Anyway, just where are you riding and with how many people if the front and back people are 35 miles apart ? I think deodorant would be a far simpler investment .

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Argh! You made me search for stuff now ... and look what came up :)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
We tried using 2 way radios recently by clipping them onto our jackets but with all the wind noise it’s very hard to make out what someone is saying.

I did some research into a better option and came across a pair in Argos for about £120. The good thing about these is you can buy an earpiece on Amazon for them for about £10 each. Not bought them yet so no idea how good they are. I think an earpiece is essential if you want to hear the other person above the wind noise.

59861E43-C784-4E7C-8B81-24B8A592D206.png

775BA6D1-0B04-407C-889D-8E1CB9C9FFB1.png

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
We tried using 2 way radios recently by clipping them onto our jackets but with all the wind noise it’s very hard to make out what someone is saying.

I did some research into a better option and came across a pair in Argos for about £120. The good thing about these is you can buy an earpiece on Amazon for them for about £10 each. Not bought them yet so no idea how good they are. I think an earpiece is essential if you want to hear the other person above the wind noise.

View attachment 42591
View attachment 42593

Interestingly, I have searched for no less than 50 different types of 2 ways and I settled on this, Motorola Talkabout T82 Extreme Walkie Talkies - Twin Pack its your deal, but looks alot better?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
You do know you'll sound like a sex worker ..

"Click".
"Oh christ no, not that hole"
"Shite, that hurt .. mi balls I went too deep..."
"Click".

"Click".
"Squelch Squelch ..... total gibberish" ..
"Click".

"Click"
"Scream of wet brakes....."
"Rapid hard banging" downhill section or stairset of doom ....
"Feck YEAH That was the best"

Anyway, just where are you riding and with how many people if the front and back people are 35 miles apart ? I think deodorant would be a far simpler investment .

I'm now waiting for Gary's expert opinion. ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I do have a nice pair of top end Motorola's which have sat in their charging station for 4 years after using them once .. click, squelch, ... you ? click ... r hor .. squelch .. Fe .. k .. squelch .. click ..

send them to me :)......hmmm,maybe VOX is the better method with variable sensitivity, should be a sweet spot somewhere. If the handset is clipped in to an earpiece like what @Beekeeper linked when its inside your full face helmet how can this possibly not work, its shielded from the elements and hidden so no strange looks etc?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
send them to me :)......hmmm,maybe VOX is the better method with variable sensitivity, should be a sweet spot somewhere. If the handset is clipped in to an earpiece like what @Beekeeper linked when its inside your full face helmet how can this possibly not work, its shielded from the elements and hidden so no strange looks etc?
They actually work fairly well .. but if you're with someone who doesn't wait 1 second before talking after pressing the button .. they don't work so well .. they seem to cover a few km's with clear usable sound - but only if you're not moving fast .. There are mobile phone apps which do the same too using data ..

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
They actually work fairly well .. but if you're with someone who doesn't wait 1 second before talking after pressing the button .. they don't work so well .. they seem to cover a few km's with clear usable sound - but only if you're not moving fast .. There are mobile phone apps which do the same too using data ..

hmmm, you could pair your phone to a some handsfree bone conductive headsets like aftershokz but your depending on the mobile, the thing with these babies is the signal will be much better than using your cell.

I think they need to be handsfree, via VOX Motorola Waterproof Walkie Talkie H20 T92 Twin Pack

And as it so happens Top 10 - Best Two Way Radios of 2020 the T92 (improved version of T82) is no1 on this list

review Motorola TLKR T92 Two Way Radio Review

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Only ever used walkie talkies on a bike when guiding. A (luckily shortlived) idea implemented by an utery clueless middle manager and completely OTT for the rides we were doing.

I don't even believe Carl is real. ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you gave your one way radio to your wife she would be able to talk to herself, thus relieving you of the requirement to listen to her!
In the old days, "Telephones" were very different. They were primarily designed for ladies.

Here's the famous "Lady Talk" .... Women would spend hours on them talking to themselves ..

bee.jpg

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Only ever used walkie talkies on a bike when guiding. A (luckily shortlived) idea implemented by an utery clueless middle manager and completely OTT for the rides we were doing.

I don't even believe Carl is real. ?

Oh it will get much worse before it gets better, private giddy sir yes sir!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
must start this review by saying PLEASE read in full.

These radios I must say look great, bright yellow & float in water.
They are bigger than some but that doesn’t bother me.
I tested them out on a quiet campsite within 100 metres of each other and they were great, tried them on the motorway car to car which was mainly why I wanted them and they were useless. I could see the other vehicle about 1/2 a mile behind me couldn’t talk to them, they needed to be almost in my boot before we could talk to each other.
The volume only goes to number 7 and isn’t that loud, needed to put it to your ear to hear when on the move.
Great things for kids in the garden, off camping or a day on the beach, but in my opinion not much good for anything else. If you’re within 500 metres of each other they’re great.

What is the range of any radio?
ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THIS YOU CAN MAKE A BETTER DECISION.
The range of ANY unlicensed radio is entirely dependent on where they are used and whether there are any obstructions such as hills, buildings, dense woodland etc. between the radios. All radios are capable of working over several miles providing there is good line of sight but the range will be reduced by any obstructions. Some manufacturers quote approximate ranges of 2, 5, 10km, even up to 35km but this is just a marketing ploy and these distances refer to ideal operating conditions which should be regarded as a guide only and cannot be guaranteed. All unlicensed radios are set at EXACTLY the same output power at 0.5 Watt by law, so you would expect to see no difference in performance between a 2km or a 35km quoted radio. Licenced radios at 5.0 Watts are 10 times more powerful than unlicenced radios, therefore you will get better coverage and reception, but NOT 10 times the distance. At the moment a licence starts at £75 for 5 years. A decent licensed radio starts at around £139 + vat & you will need 2 of them so not a cheap option. My 2 ICOM F2100D licensed radios came to £420 delivered & you then need the licence.
First test of them was from my living room to around half a mile away. Worked well.

Hmmmm very much the debate I was trying to start off......wonder if people use, but there crap, then don't use or don't use cause they cant be assed and irl comms aka gobs just work fine, that said there are plenty of benefits, they don't need to just be used for biking but I am intrigued by this licence biz

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles