Stuck motor

Rock Storm

Jul 3, 2020
Bristol
Hey I’ve undone all 6 t40 Bolts, the plastic bash at both ends, taken the chainring and chain off as well as undoing the chain guide and I can only get the motor to move an inch. Pretty much done my back in trying to get it out and I’ve done as much prising with a rag covered flat blade as I can bare. Anyone else had this? Just trying to get the motor out to check the wiring and clean it all out. Cheers

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
I've only dropped the motor once so hardly loads of experience but yes, I found it very tight. I couldn't lever it out so tapped it out with a mallet. Once it had moved 10mm it got easier. I seem to remember loosely refitting the front (or rear?) bolts so that it pivoted rather than fell out!!

Rock Storm

Jul 3, 2020
Bristol
Hey this is really good to know, thanks. How did you tap it out with a mallet? Did you wedge something in there and hit it? I was pretty wary of damaging/scratching the frame or the motor so didn’t get too far with it...

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
I can't remember to be quite honest!! Once the motor drops a bit there's quite an obvious metal mounting spine to "work on". Can't remember how I got it started but if you avoid the wires and cables you can certainly get to it from above via the grot trap next to the rear shock. It's not belt it tight, just needs a bit of light tapping to get it moving. Shouldn't damage anything in the process.

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Dropped the motor again today but this time had a good old look. I have found the answer!! One side of the motor bolts solidly to the frame but the otherside bolts via a pressed in fitting. On installation, tightening the mounting bolts pulls the press fitting out slightly to make a good solid connection in the frame. This is what makes the motor a bugger to move in the frame. Tapping this press fitting all the way back made reinsertion of the motor a doddle, but presumably it's now pulled out tight to the frame again. So the secret to getting the motor out easily is not tapping the motor out from above, it's undoing the bolts a couple of turns then tapping them back into the frame to push the press fitting back! Easy peasy. Or it would be if I could remember which side of the motor is rigidly attached and which is fixed via the press fittings... ?

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Most welcome. Hopefully the good Karma will help ward off the W010 W013 error which led to today's motor drop. ???? I'm hoping it was just a loose battery leading to bad connection...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles