What flat pedals?

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
At the current price they are asking for M828 Saints I'd personally grab a couple of sets of the old superseded MX80 Saints. Both the M828 and MX80 are concave platforms and besides the shape and a shorter spindle on the newer version the internals are probably of similar quality. The MX80 Saints work a treat in combination with my Five Ten Shoes so I would expect similar of the updated model.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
At the current price they are asking for M828 Saints I'd personally grab a couple of sets of the old superseded MX80 Saints. Both the M828 and MX80 are concave platforms and besides the shape and a shorter spindle on the newer version the internals are probably of similar quality. The MX80 Saints work a treat in combination with my Five Ten Shoes so I would expect similar of the updated model.

Cheers Geoff. I use five ten shoes. Are the old ones grippy like vaults etc?

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
Are the old ones grippy like vaults etc?
Sorry I have never used DMR Vaults or anything with a similar pin pattern. Grip wise I suspect the MX80 Saints due to having pins around the edge and in the middle would have more grip than the Vault.

Clint600f

Apr 9, 2018
Newtownards
I have just put a set of Superstar Nano x Evo's on my Kenevo and I really rate them. Quite similar in size to my DMR's on my Capra and can be easily serviced too. Very reasonable at around the £50 mark and often discount codes for them. I didnt like the old Saints, prefer a larger platform.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I have just put a set of Superstar Nano x Evo's on my Kenevo and I really rate them. Quite similar in size to my DMR's on my Capra and can be easily serviced too. Very reasonable at around the £50 mark and often discount codes for them. I didnt like the old Saints, prefer a larger platform.

Thanks mate. I’ll look them up.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was on Nukeproofs, but wanted a bigger platform, so switched to Crank Brothers stamp, but didn't find them that grippy, so now on OneUp pedals, and have to say i lover them, super slim body, big, and very grippy. Got them on all my bikes now.

After 8 months of foul-weather testing, here’s our review of the OneUp Components Aluminum Flat Pedals – Singletrack Magazine

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 18.59.43.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 18.59.59.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 19.00.19.png

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I was on Nukeproofs, but wanted a bigger platform, so switched to Crank Brothers stamp, but didn't find them that grippy, so now on OneUp pedals, and have to say i lover them, super slim body, big, and very grippy. Got them on all my bikes now.

After 8 months of foul-weather testing, here’s our review of the OneUp Components Aluminum Flat Pedals – Singletrack Magazine

View attachment 4721

View attachment 4722

View attachment 4723

they look good, very sleek design and huge screws for huge scars ^^

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales

View attachment 4721

View attachment 4722

View attachment 4723

Probably decent price as well being one up. I'll have a look at them thanks. Remind me of the RF Atlas with the big bearing on the inside. They're good pedals. Bit pricey.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Steele industries pedals PO30w are similar too

PO30 Platform Pedals

What are you looking for from a pedal? I guess not ultimate grip if you're looking for different pedals than the Sam hills?

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Steele industries pedals PO30w are similar too

PO30 Platform Pedals

What are you looking for from a pedal? I guess not ultimate grip if you're looking for different pedals than the Sam hills?

I just fancied trying the M828's. Sam Hills are almost too grippy. Atlas have been my favourite so far but they felt gritty quickly. Regressed them and changed the bearings. Went for the Hopes because they're meant to be indestructible almost. Really nice but don't feel as good as the Atlas. Might try the One Up's.

Just fun buying new bike bits.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The new XTs are a better design than the M828s.
I don't quite know why but shimano always manage to make a turd out of any flat pedal they design.

Shorten the pins on the Hills, remove a few or stop wearing stealth soles would be the sensible option. but fair enough if you want something new.

Those Steele Inds are decent (I have 2 pairs) but the bearings aren't brilliantly sealed.

The one-ups look decent but I'd remove that daft centre pin straight away.

I'd also avoid proper indistructible pedals (Burgtec etc.) on a bike where if you strike a pedal and it doesn't bend the pedal or crank the forces are sent straight to a £900 motor axle/bearings.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
One up also do a composite pedal - i had the Nukeproof Neutron pedals for quite a while on my bikes, really liked them, especially as i felt they could take more abuse than the alloy pedals and would take most of the abuse from a pedal strike, and are priced at a level where you don't mind trashing them. When i switched to Specialized S2FO Shoes (uk 10) i found the sole of the shoe oversailed the pedal more than my Five10's and couldn't get a consistent position on the pedal. The crank brothers felt great but i found myself slipping off them on drops sometimes, with the OneUps i feel really locked in - i was going to get the One Up Composites but couldn't find them in stock so went with the ally ones.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Good pedals. Made by HT. I prefer the grubscrew versions
CarbonCycles.CC :: Components :: eXotic Shop :: Flats - Alloy :: Alloy Flat Pedals, 10 Colours :: CC-PED07F
Have those on 4 bikes ( HT, Superstar and carbo)
They're great if like me you prefer a pedal you can move your foot on by twisting/sliding instead of lifting and placing (ala 5:10 wearers and any pinned pedal)

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
... now on OneUp pedals, and have to say i lover them, super slim body, big, and very grippy. Got them on all my bikes now...
Another convert here. Like 'em more than RF Chesters and HT AE03/ME03 pedals used previously. Inexpensive, US$50. Now running composite OneUp pedals on all bikes.

I have the shimano saint pedals on my e-bike.Id just got the bike and they threw them in at cost. Im a long term clipless guy, having used time pedals since around 2000 and shimano spd prior to that.
Id occasionally used jet black flat pedals on my sons bike, but jumps feel bizarre to me when not clipped in...although I still do mx and jumping is fine on the moto...Otherwise I think the combinations of flats and 510 shoes offer an amazing amount of grip.
Ive been having some knee tendonitis issues which seem to be a bit less using flats hence going for them with the ebike
So anyway, they looked cool -big and chunky , and matched the saint brakes on the bike and i got them- then I read reviews which were so so. But Ive used them with 510 shoes and although they are bigger than the jet blacks I cant really criticize them, maybe slightly less grippy, although they're supplied with longer studs as well which i plan to fit but havent got around to yet. I guess their large size may make pedal strike a little more likely, but as Im new to the ebike Im still refining my technique there, and my bike has 170mm cranks which apparently are too long, but as Im tall and riding an XL frame I havent made my mind up on that yet.
Not sure that helps, but Im happy with them although I dont think they offer any big advantage to other flats, but i think theyll be impossible to kill as they are shimano and very robust.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I have the shimano saint pedals on my e-bike.Id just got the bike and they threw them in at cost. Im a long term clipless guy, having used time pedals since around 2000 and shimano spd prior to that.
Id occasionally used jet black flat pedals on my sons bike, but jumps feel bizarre to me when not clipped in...although I still do mx and jumping is fine on the moto...Otherwise I think the combinations of flats and 510 shoes offer an amazing amount of grip.
Ive been having some knee tendonitis issues which seem to be a bit less using flats hence going for them with the ebike
So anyway, they looked cool -big and chunky , and matched the saint brakes on the bike and i got them- then I read reviews which were so so. But Ive used them with 510 shoes and although they are bigger than the jet blacks I cant really criticize them, maybe slightly less grippy, although they're supplied with longer studs as well which i plan to fit but havent got around to yet. I guess their large size may make pedal strike a little more likely, but as Im new to the ebike Im still refining my technique there, and my bike has 170mm cranks which apparently are too long, but as Im tall and riding an XL frame I havent made my mind up on that yet.
Not sure that helps, but Im happy with them although I dont think they offer any big advantage to other flats, but i think theyll be impossible to kill as they are shimano and very robust.

Thanks mate. Was sure someone would be running saints. Tough but not as grippy describes my Hopes I planned to put on the new ebike so probably just go with those. But I have had my foot bounce off a couple times on really rocky stuff with the Hopes. Even with five tens and heels down etc. I’ve got Tesco vouchers trebled in value to spend at Evans so I’m going to swap the zees on the bike for saints and sell the zees as new. Saint pedals was a bit of bling really. Still might try them. The Shimano SPD’s i used to use we’re rock solid year after year. I expect the flats are similar.

Thanks mate. Was sure someone would be running saints. Tough but not as grippy describes my Hopes I planned to put on the new ebike so probably just go with those. But I have had my foot bounce off a couple times on really rocky stuff with the Hopes. Even with five tens and heels down etc. I’ve got Tesco vouchers trebled in value to spend at Evans so I’m going to swap the zees on the bike for saints and sell the zees as new. Saint pedals was a bit of bling really. Still might try them. The Shimano SPD’s i used to use we’re rock solid year after year. I expect the flats are similar.
I too, gave in to the bling....!

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
bit of a blatent plug but have you tried Burgtec penthouse flats. We often run demo sets at bike events. quite a few of the people that try them come back and purchase.
From my own experience these are the grippiest pedals i've tried (before i started working with them)
Burgtec Penthouse Flats
1401-MK4-Black-pedals.png

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Was on vaults, but kept clipping things with them, due to the large platform. Now on dmr v12 s and they seem to work well. Maybe not for you if you have big feet though.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Another vote for RaceFace Chesters .....good,grip but not too many shin biting studs .....the Blues suit the Focus!! Good price too.
Have fun

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles