How many motors have you blown? 2019 levo only

JJLevo19

Apr 29, 2020
Melbourne
I have a 19 Levo bought in July 19. I have ridden it once or twice a week for the last year and have clocked around 1600kms.

I mainly rode on eco @ 40% & trail @ 60% for the first 8 months with the occasional turbo 20k hot lap at my local trail.Over the last 4 months I have been riding in trail @ 50% and turbo as I have 1200w on tap.

I average around 30-80ks a week of riding on trails with around an average of 500-1500m elevation. I weigh 70kgs and ride at a decent pace as my fitness has improved by the week so I like to get a great work out.

I was concerned about the mud and gunk getting into the motors when I purchased it.O started researching and realised that my motor had an upgraded motor casing with an extra screw instead of 3 mine has 4 and the back of the motor were it meets the frame has an upgraded rubber grommet.

So it seems I was lucky and had some form
of update on my motor to help the mud entering. So far I haven’t had any issues with my motor apart from a once or twice I felt a real slight slip when pedalling Which may have been my derailleur not sure. The motor also likes to keep engaging when you try to stop not sure if that is anything bad but apart from that I haven’t had any issues apart from
the Shimano, bosch and other brands motors trying to keep up with the BROSE.

Not sure if there was any internal upgrade to the 19 motors apart from the 4 screw casing and the grommet to stop the mud entering.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
My motor got loud after 2500 miles and 1 year of ownership. Link to short YouTube video. Warranty replacement approved 1 day after I showed the video to my lbs. lbs received replacement motor in less than 1 week, and the labor took 3 days.

New motor is quieter than the original motor ever was. lbs assured me (for whatever that's worth) that the replacement motor carries a 2 year warranty.

Last edited:

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
Got in just under a 1000km. Problem is I bought my specialized turbo levo in Germany, but live in Norway. Unfortunately Specialized doesn’t have an office here so took it to a local dealer. They said they will charge me for the labour since specialized only gives them 276kr (around 25 pounds). They said they will probably end up charging me 160 pounds which I will have to pay for labour. Super shit when it is a known issue and makes me wary of buying from Specialized in the future, and means their global warranty isn’t worth the paper it is written on
Normal stuff everywhere....if you go to a non specialized dealer

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My motor got loud after 2500 miles and 1 year of ownership. Link to short YouTube video. Warranty replacement approved 1 day after I showed the video to my lbs. lbs shop received replacement motor in less than 1 week, and the labor took 3 days.

New motor is quieter than the original motor ever was. lbs assured me (for whatever that's worth) that the replacement motor carries a 2 year warranty.
I never got any warning to be honest was ok one day howling as soon as I got on next . Same age and milage as you and yes quieter but hard climbing is louder as I would expect only got it back Saturday so yesterday first test . I was told new motor warranty only till bike is 2 years old I hope your right and I'm wrong.

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
Sorry I was not clear, for example here in Italy you are not entitled for free workmanship whether you don't ask your dealer to honor the warranty, even if specialized but not your dealer you can't expect it...
You are entitled , but some resellers try to speculate on customers ignorance

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The dealer you got it from does not charge for labour but if you go to other specialized dealer they will. Customer care told me that

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
The dealer you got it from does not charge for labour but if you go to other specialized dealer they will. Customer care told me that
Exactly - such a shit system that specialized does not fully reimburse them. Here we have an issue where Specialized has made a sub standard product but consumers have to pay the cost. Really disappointing that Specialized doesn’t own their problem. Definitely turned me off buying ebikes from them in the future

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
Exactly - such a shit system that specialized does not fully reimburse them. Here we have an issue where Specialized has made a sub standard product but consumers have to pay the cost. Really disappointing that Specialized doesn’t own their problem. Definitely turned me off buying ebikes from them in the future
Well it's written clearly in the warranty from Specialized, so nothing to be disappointed for, at least in my opinion: ”Shipping costs are never included, and your Specialized retailer may charge you for labor or administrative costs."
That means that the charge is at their discretion. Normally your reseller does not charge you to keep a good customer seller relationship. But if it's not...my question is: other brands do the same? Yes.

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
Well it's written clearly in the warranty from Specialized, so nothing to be disappointed for, at least in my opinion: ”Shipping costs are never included, and your Specialized retailer may charge you for labor or administrative costs."
That means that the charge is at their discretion. Normally your reseller does not charge you to keep a good customer seller relationship. But if it's not...my question is: other brands do the same? Yes.

The question is more about Specialized reimbursing dealers for labour at a realistic rate which they don’t do today. In Norway the rate they reimburse is about 15-20% of the actual cost. This is really unfortunate as Specualized save a lot of money by not having a Specialized office here which they have in many countries. Other manufacturers such as Shimano reimburse the full rate - I had heaps of issues with my Merida which had Shimano steps but was never left out of pocket for taking it to a Shimano licensed dealer. Also look at the car industry and you see they are really behind the ball here. Added in here is that belt failure is such a known issue that many customers have experienced

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
I don't say it's fare, this is their way to deal with resellers, and I don't blame a reseller -from which I did not buy anything- for asking me to pay for what they can't get a refund of.

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
No, you are not. Reseller does not charge you because you are his customer, but in principle warranty from Specialized excludes obligation.
Maybe in your country , but european warranty regulation is clear , customers have not to pay any charge .

Screenshot_20200712-074640_Chrome Beta.jpg

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
I have a 2020 Levo base model bought at the end of February 2020. My problems started when I changed the chain and had a kind of grinding sound coming from the motor area. Changed the chain to the old one and this noise was much less so it could be the teeth on the chain ring that stick to the chain and as the chain comes off it makes this noise.

I have a post Levo 2020 motor grinding noise - EMTB Forums

I also had a grinding noise when the cranks are moved backwards but not all the time.

I then went for a ride and the motor blew with 530 miles. it has a high pitch whining noise same as video in this thread. I do not know if these three problems are connected or it was a coincidence that it happened almost at the same time.

The LBS has just put in the warranty to get this motor replaced. The motor build is from March 2019.

CA320

Jun 22, 2020
SoCal
I had purchased a new bike beginning of March 2020. The motor went out the first week of June with that high pitched whine at 600 miles. I had to wait 26 days to get a motor replaced.

I looked through all the threads on here and on facebook pages about the motor failures and found everything to make my misery worse. I went through the motions of hating specialized for putting out a faulty motor to looking at other brands of bike to replace it with when it was fixed.

26 days and about 30 pedal strokes later and it was all a distant memory.

At the end of the day i was waiting for the dealer to get their act together and was at their mercy waiting on that motor.

" Next time " i wouldn't be so loyal to my local shop and i would call around to see who has a motor ready to drop in place if it happened to me again.

Grugged

Apr 12, 2020
Oslo, Norway
Over 3 weeks since I took my bike to the shop and specialized hasn’t even responded to the bike shop enquiry about warranty. Even if they respond tomorrow I am still looking at 6 week turnaround in total. This is summer and prime riding time. Very much over Specialized’s customer service and the way they are dealing with such a widespread issue

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Over 3 weeks since I took my bike to the shop and specialized hasn’t even responded to the bike shop enquiry about warranty. Even if they respond tomorrow I am still looking at 6 week turnaround in total. This is summer and prime riding time. Very much over Specialized’s customer service and the way they are dealing with such a widespread issue
Terrible that the shop should be chasing it up or maybe they have. Took 2 days to ok the warranty on mine

Choc3

Apr 10, 2020
Scotland
This is my experience up to now. As I am 3hr away from the LBS where I bought the bike I sent the serial numbers of my Levo motor, bke and photos and they put in the claim and had a response from specialized within 2 days no more than five working days have past since starting the process The new motor has been sent and LBS hopefully will fit next week.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
This is my experience up to now. As I am 3hr away from the LBS where I bought the bike I sent the serial numbers of my Levo motor, bke and photos and they put in the claim and had a response from specialized within 2 days no more than five working days have past since starting the process The new motor has been sent and LBS hopefully will fit next week.
I sent motor to dealer and new one posted to me removed and fitted myself. 500 miles too far to drive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles