What’s good in MTB shoes that you don’t need to break the bank for..

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Evening all,
I’m on the hunt for some new flat pedal shows as my current DC’s have never been waterproof and are well past their best.

Started nosing around and it appears everything had got very expensive since I bought proper flat pedal shoes many many many years ago. So what’s everybody using that doesn’t run into £££‘s? Budget around £70.
Thanks.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Well I can't really help but to say that I wouldn't recommend the Giro Riddances. I bought some last year and with any sign of moisture they're slipperyier than a couple of eels having a root in a bucket of snot.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have the shimano GR7. They weren't my first choice, but my first three orders of other choices never arrived for various reasons so went for these.

Been really pleased with them so far and price wise, depending what colour you want ... they're not too bad here .. There's a slightly different version with a flap if you prefer that type. The lace ones have a rubberised strap to tuck the laces under ..

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I love my five ten freeriders. These shoes have just gotten better over a years use! I thought they were too stiff at first, but we met in the middle. The shoes got more plyable as I become adjusted to them.

I'd wear them to bed if the bird would let me.

NotAveJoe

Nov 19, 2019
Wyoming
Here's another vote for the five tens. Just can't go wrong. Great on the pedals and also on the trail if ... you know... you have to drag your clockwork bike up that incline.

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
Can’t go wrong with Five Tens. I’m currently sporting a pair of Ride Concepts Wildcats which I really like. Grip is on par with Five Ten’s rubber. They’re slightly harder to put on though and you need to loosen the laces quite a bit beforehand. Only issue I’ve encountered.

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Thanks for the replies people. I have bitten the bullet and gone for a set of Fiveten Freeriders from Stif bikes. Got them for £76 which I was happy...ish with. Spending a bloody fortune with this new Ebike. Had let a lot of my cycling stuff fall by the wayside a bit so it was desperately needing updated. Need to get another pair of Endura singletrack shorts now. Forgot how comfy they are when I mothballed them for Fox shorts. But £56 bloody quid.. they were only £35 in my day!!!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I am also looking for a set of shoes preferably Goretex. I have Five Ten freerider, they are great but not waterproog. and I have a pair of Five Ten Impact Sam Hill core... Awesome for winter and pretty waterproof, but way too hot in summer.
I am doing another 8 day Transalp this year and would like a pair of shoes that are relatively waterproof, but can breathe.Any suggestions?

macinthekitchen

Jun 28, 2020
Ringwood
I am also looking for a set of shoes preferably Goretex. I have Five Ten freerider, they are great but not waterproog. and I have a pair of Five Ten Impact Sam Hill core... Awesome for winter and pretty waterproof, but way too hot in summer.
I am doing another 8 day Transalp this year and would like a pair of shoes that are relatively waterproof, but can breathe.Any suggestions?

Hi. Not a recommendation on specific shoes (mine are about 15 years old and could be classed as a semi sentient lifeform) but sportspursuit.com have a bunch of gore tex shoes that look good value.
In other news....I only just came across the transalp a few days ago so and it's something i'd really love to do next year. How are figuring/ finding the route you're taking? Are you carrying all your gear or getting it carried for you? And what type of accommodation are you going for? (hope you don't the interrogation!)

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Hi. Not a recommendation on specific shoes (mine are about 15 years old and could be classed as a semi sentient lifeform) but sportspursuit.com have a bunch of gore tex shoes that look good value.
In other news....I only just came across the transalp a few days ago so and it's something i'd really love to do next year. How are figuring/ finding the route you're taking? Are you carrying all your gear or getting it carried for you? And what type of accommodation are you going for? (hope you don't the interrogation!)
If you are interested, I did a relatively detailed write up in this thread.

We took everything on our backs and booked accomodation as we went.

This year I am planning the trip myself and will go over the Dolomites. I found a youtube video that looked pretty good and am using that as a basis for planning my tour.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I've got some of the Bontrager shoes, mainly because that's what my LBS stocks and they offer a 30 day return with no quibble option.

They work fine.

I wear SealSkinz socks in the winter, I don't rely on the shoes for waterproofing.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've got some of the Bontrager shoes, mainly because that's what my LBS stocks and they offer a 30 day return with no quibble option.

They work fine.

I wear SealSkinz socks in the winter, I don't rely on the shoes for waterproofing.
Also using waterproof socks. Brand is "sumade" and they have been tremendously waterproof and durable. too hot for summer.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I have the shimano GR7. They weren't my first choice, but my first three orders of other choices never arrived for various reasons so went for these.

Been really pleased with them so far and price wise, depending what colour you want ... they're not too bad here .. There's a slightly different version with a flap if you prefer that type. The lace ones have a rubberised strap to tuck the laces under ..

Agreed , the comfiest shoe I’ve had and after 2years still look newish !

AusE

Dec 3, 2019
Australia
Have a look at Leatt Dbx 3.0, supposedly they have a waterproof membrane, cant vouch for them as I just received my Dbx 4.0 clipless. They are a fair bit cheaper than others at least in Aus

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Managed to get myself a set of Fiveten free ride shoes for a decent price. Tried them out on Sunday and I’m well impressed. Comfy, good fit and grippy. I’ll need to get some waterproof socks for winter as I usually just ride in merino wool socks. Also got a pair of Madison trail shorts in the cammo colour. Very impressed for the £28 I paid for them.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
FiveTens, can pick them up for £70 easily and they are worth the RRP easily for riding, Once you go to them you dont go back.

Duggan

Feb 20, 2019
Isle of Man
Evening all,
I’m on the hunt for some new flat pedal shows as my current DC’s have never been waterproof and are well past their best.

Started nosing around and it appears everything had got very expensive since I bought proper flat pedal shoes many many many years ago. So what’s everybody using that doesn’t run into £££‘s? Budget around £70.
Thanks.

Evening all,

Thanks.

Five Ten’s all the way! You’ll be amazed how grippy they stealth rubber is.
If you order direct from the adidas app use this code you’ll get 30% off ??

PRW2-ZYTG-PACS-ZTBLM

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles