Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
I'm going to be picking up my new Merida eOne-Sixty 900e this weekend. This will be my first ebike (but not mountain bike), although I've done a few demos so have had a small amount of time on them.

Is there anything that owners would recommend doing to the standard bike (both in general for e-bikes, and specifically for this model) before taking it out on the trail?

Hey, I put a 29er up front on my Merida eOne-Sixty 900e. Love it. Only used the original wheel 20Kms from the store to my home.

Interesting - what width tyre do you run up front? Have you measured the diameter of this wheel / tyre combo in comparison to the standard setup. Would be interested to know what this change does to the Head Angle.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
I'm going to be picking up my new Merida eOne-Sixty 900e this weekend. This will be my first ebike (but not mountain bike), although I've done a few demos so have had a small amount of time on them.

Is there anything that owners would recommend doing to the standard bike (both in general for e-bikes, and specifically for this model) before taking it out on the trail?

Interesting - what width tyre do you run up front? Have you measured the diameter of this wheel / tyre combo in comparison to the standard setup. Would be interested to know what this change does to the Head Angle.
As you can see from this thread, some of the guys have made some major mods. I’m happy with mine as standard except for ordering shorter 150 cranks because of pedal strike and my little short legs.
Suggest you have a few good trial runs before making too many mods. It’s a great bike as is.

Mslide

Aug 27, 2018
Switzerland
Hi guys,
I'm very interested by a merida eone Sixty.
Can someone tell me what's the maximum insertion for dropper post on L size ?
Thanks a lot

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
You can almost slam a OneUp 150mm dropper.. You can't slam a Bikeyoke Revive 160mm. Max's out at about 3-4cm from the collar because of its awkward actuator mechanism which hits the bend in the seat tube and prevents the dropper from functioning. I can't remember how far the Reverb goes because I swapped that heap of junk out before it's first ride.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
I have a 125mm reverb with 1× under bar remote and it will fully insert but that's the max it will take. So far I have been getting on well with it and really like it. Like bassy said, if you need more ,the one up looks like it will be your only option.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia

A lot of people swap their crank arms out for shorter <165 XT's to reduce crank strikes but even though I upgraded mine, I didn't really have to because I don't ride up rocky technical climbs... I descend rocky technical climbs ?
So you might not need to..

Everything else is pretty much subjective and personal preference but the things I've upgraded so far in order of importance for me were:

1. Stem
2. Bars and grips
3. Saddle
4. Left trigger mode selector
5. Dropper and lever
6. Coil shock
7. Cranks
8. Carbon wheels
9. Brakes and rotors
10. 1.5" angle set

I don't like 29ers so I'd never go there.. But I know a few who have and said it smooths things out a bit so it depends on what you ride I guess.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Holy cow Basy! Maybe you could sell me all the bits you have left over and I can upgrade my 800 to a 900!

Could have but it's all gone now except for the X2 which I'll keep for a spare.

Funny story about the brakes. I swapped the saints for some hope with some random bloke on the internet before trying my existing set from one of my other bikes... turns out the v4 callipers don't fit and foul on the rear triangle!! So I bought some zee to do me over while I figured out what to do.. Which is now Shiguras! Yum!

Like others have said, the 900e is pretty good stock. The only thing they skimped out on is the stem, bars and saddle really.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Will the Saint calipers work with the SLX levers or isn't it worth it? Oh, and excuse my ignorance but which bit is the X2?

Fox X2 rear air shock. Yes, you can mix any Shimano lever/caliper. If you wanted to upgrade though, I'd just use Zee or XT quadies. Zee will most likely be cheaper and be just as good as a Saint.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
As you have change the shock, what is the shock eye to eye lenght and stroke ?
And what about bushings width ?
Thanks

It's metric 205x65 with upper Trunnion mount and 40x8 lower. I use an offset bushing on the lower to fit the Jade though.. because it's pointing end of the piggy back nearly touches the top tube (doesn't but close).

You can fit a regular 8.5x2.5 in there though. I did it before the Jade with a DHX2 but there was a bit of mucking around (see insta below).

Capture.JPG

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
OK thanks.
But for Trunnion mount what's the hardware width ? (I never had Trunnion shocks...)

10x54mm

36085672_208160579840311_5866055333465554944_n.jpg

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
As you can see from this thread, some of the guys have made some major mods. I’m happy with mine as standard except for ordering shorter 150 cranks because of pedal strike and my little short legs.
Suggest you have a few good trial runs before making too many mods. It’s a great bike as is.
Got to say I'm happy with the e900 apart from pedal strikes too and am goin order the 155 crank arms I think.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal

Hey, I put a Maxxis Minion DHF 29x2.5" in the front.

This wheel has about 2cms more in height, which puts the front hub about 1 cm higher than with the original wheel. This also puts the bb almost half a centimeter higher which I think it helps reduce pedal strikes (I have few of them and I ride very rocky and rooty terrain).

As for the head angle I don't really know... half a degree slacker... 1 degree slacker... don't have other meridas here to compare if it slacked a lot... I feel very good as the bike is now on very steep descents and it climbs very well as well, although when climbs are very steep and technical I can't keep the wheel on the ground... control is nearly impossible on stuff I saw other guys in ebikes climbing. It doesn't bother me though because I climb mostly on fire roads.

AdrianJW

Aug 26, 2018
Oxford
Hey, still don't have it :( ordered on 4 June and it's expected in the beginning of July. We'll post some pics when I get it. I will change the bike a bit, 29" wheel in the front (a la Canyon e-bikes), a canyon ebike specific saddle and a wider handlebar.[/QUOTE

I’ve had my 900E for just over a month now, it’s very, very good.
I notice a few people are swapping the front wheel for a 29; I also have a Canyon Spectral AL 9.9 EX that has 29” wheels and I have to say that I much prefer the 27.5 x 2.8 on the Merida to the 29 x 2.4 on the Canyon.

I wouldn’t be too quick to change to a 29” front wheel. I have a 900E and I also have a Canyon Spectral AL 29 9.9 EX. I much prefer the 27.5 x 2.8 front on the Merida to the 29 x 2.4 on the Canyon.
The larger contact area and ability to run lower pressure gives significantly more grip and stability which for me trumps everything else.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
I’ve had my 900E for just over a month now, it’s very, very good.
I notice a few people are swapping the front wheel for a 29; I also have a Canyon Spectral AL 9.9 EX that has 29” wheels and I have to say that I much prefer the 27.5 x 2.8 on the Merida to the 29 x 2.4 on the Canyon.

I wouldn’t be too quick to change to a 29” front wheel. I have a 900E and I also have a Canyon Spectral AL 29 9.9 EX. I much prefer the 27.5 x 2.8 front on the Merida to the 29 x 2.4 on the Canyon.
The larger contact area and ability to run lower pressure gives significantly more grip and stability which for me trumps everything else.

Well, i did it as soon as i got my merida 900e home and never looked back. My experience with 27,5+ and 29 wheels is differnt than yours. I have a scott spark 720 plus that came with 27,5+ wheels which i rode stock for a year. When I changed the wheels for 29 to compare I very much prefered them all the way. I guess it depends a lot on which trails we ride.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Finally got out yesterday with the new 29er front wheel and the couple of things that I noticed, were the expected improved rollover on the whoops and some bigger rocks. Carlos was right about the climbs, but I soon figured out to throw my weight over the bars and it was fine. The only problem was that the steering became a bit light downhill and I felt myself over steering and then having to correct it. I ride mainly steep enduro style tracks here in scotland and yesterday I was at the golfie and innerleithen for those who know where it is.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
Finally got out yesterday with the new 29er front wheel and the couple of things that I noticed, were the expected improved rollover on the whoops and some bigger rocks. Carlos was right about the climbs, but I soon figured out to throw my weight over the bars and it was fine. The only problem was that the steering became a bit light downhill and I felt myself over steering and then having to correct it. I ride mainly steep enduro style tracks here in scotland and yesterday I was at the golfie and innerleithen for those who know where it is.

The oversteering on steep downhill curves just needs some adjusting by getting used to the new bike and new setup, after that it's just a fast, eficient and easy manoeuvrable mean machine :)

spr0cket

Jul 16, 2018
Farnham, Surrey
I too threw a new 29" front wheel in at the weekend and had my first run out on it last night.

Seems much faster rolling and as said, faster steering - though I think some of that is change in tyre choice and width (I went with a 2.5" WT DHF) - I just found the 2.8" tyre up front to be almost too much contact when trying to switch the tyre direction swiftly. Likely more my perception than any factual basis.
The front is certainly more elevated, I think I'm going to replace that ridiculous upper headset cap that will allow bars to sit at least 10mm lower.

So whilst only 1 ride in, I am enjoying the wagon wheel up front, though much more testing required.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
i will need to just give it time and yes its partly due to going from, magic mary 2.8, to minion 2.5 wide trail. or from 70mm wide, to 65mm and a lower side profile too.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
A question for the miranda cranks users, It's just a crank swap? Did you adjust the saddle height? How about stem length?
I didn’t change anything else. Seems to work out for me. Am able to use my dropper seatpost fully extended now, had problems before because of my short legs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles