Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

MasterFrat

Aug 1, 2018
SoCal
ad tyres: many in here recommend the Magic Mary Ultrasoft Dh case 2.6 or super gravity; many recommended me the 2.8 mm instead.
Which is better at all? I believe 2.8 makes more grip/traction but the butcher 2.8 on kenevo testbike made it like swimming on a cloud and for me difficult to find the exact line (in comparison to my 2.5 minion and 2.4 mm sg on the other bikes)

also problems with knicking away at high speed in bikepark wallrides is mentioned at using 2.8 tyres. Does someone has experience with comparison of MMary 2.8 vs 2.6?

I understand from most postings that butcher 2.6 or 2.6 have bad grip/traction compared to Mmary Dh casing or Super Gravity ultrasoft or even a Minion Dhf/Dhr2 2.6 or 2.8, correct?
The stock butcher tires the Kenevo comes with have to be some of the worst tires I have ever ridden on. Immediately swapped them out for Maxxis DHF and DHR 2.8s. Night and Day how much better having good tires on makes all the difference.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
ad tyres: many in here recommend the Magic Mary Ultrasoft Dh case 2.6 or super gravity; many recommended me the 2.8 mm instead.
Which is better at all? I believe 2.8 makes more grip/traction but the butcher 2.8 on kenevo testbike made it like swimming on a cloud and for me difficult to find the exact line (in comparison to my 2.5 minion and 2.4 mm sg on the other bikes)

also problems with knicking away at high speed in bikepark wallrides is mentioned at using 2.8 tyres. Does someone has experience with comparison of MMary 2.8 vs 2.6?

I understand from most postings that butcher 2.6 or 2.6 have bad grip/traction compared to Mmary Dh casing or Super Gravity ultrasoft or even a Minion Dhf/Dhr2 2.6 or 2.8, correct?

Regarding MMary 2.8 vs 2.6 - Hope this might help you
Kenevo and Levo stock Butcher tyres - grip questions ??? - EMTB Forums

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Coil of ttx22m is 18074-11 for 85kg (whereas Oehlins say 75 kg). However my weight is appx 75 kg with riding gears (but without protectors) and with the coil above I have a 50% sag before starting, 80-100 % uphill and flat with roots and punching through in downhill sections. I‘d been interesting if you made the same experiences with your Kenevo coils?

Hi Wolfgang, that's strange - for me (~100kg) i ride the 571lbs spring (105kg rider weight) which gives me the 30% sag, so it's fine for me. 50% sag sounds too much for me, i would go with a stronger spring.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Replaced my ugly rear mudguard with a mudhugger ("front race"), looks much smoother now.
Had to cut off the mudhugger at the motor housing area by 3-4cm, cause it had contact with the tyre nobs there. And drill some holes for a third pair of zip ties to keep it at the designated position. Will provide a better pic in the mudhugger-thread soon :)
IMG_3104.JPG

c4s2rs6

May 3, 2018
Aberdeen
Replaced my ugly rear mudguard with a mudhugger ("front race"), looks much smoother now.
Had to cut off the mudhugger at the motor housing area by 3-4cm, cause it had contact with the tyre nobs there. And drill some holes for a third pair of zip ties to keep it at the designated position. Will provide a better pic in the mudhugger-thread soon :)
View attachment 4276

Hi Donnie. SNAP! I literally just got back in from the garage to post some photos after you commented on my Mudhugger in the other post on durability the other day.
1.jpg
Also Front Race and cut the front and also added a third pair of zip ties!
2.jpg

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi,
How big tires/tyres will fit in the Kenevo frame? 3"? anyone tried to fit 3" ice spike tires, in case wich tire? Winter is coming :)

Last edited:

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Hi Donnie. SNAP! I literally just got back in from the garage to post some photos after you commented on my Mudhugger in the other post on durability the other day. View attachment 4278 Also Front Race and cut the front and also added a third pair of zip ties! View attachment 4277

Haha, what a timing @c4s2rs6 :LOL: Thanks for taking the photos, i'm sure it will help others anyway.

What's up with the cam? Do you have a youtube-channel full of bike-vids?

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
Hi,
How big tires/tyres will fit in the Kenevo frame? 3"? anyone tried to fit 3" ice spike tires, in case wich tire? Winter is coming :)

From the Specialized website:
What tire widths can I run on my Turbo Kenevo?
The Kenevo is designed to only run 650b/27.5" tires from 2.6" to 2.8" wide. Be aware that the bottom bracket becomes lower with narrower tires.

Although it may look like there's just enough room for bigger tyres remember to allow for a bit of wheel and frame flex.

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
Dear All

I have another question.

1. question:
Can someone pleas explain to me - in a very simple way - the logic of the brose 1.3 rx/x2.23 motor steering system: I thought up to now due to my driving experience with the kenevo that for example if I define let‘s say trail with 50% support and 100% motor max that:

- motor starts support with 50% motor support (if I pedal with 100 Watts how much would that be exactly?) to my own output when i pedal with low performance and increases this output to 100% of motor prrformance when I would pedal eg 300 Watts (what will - by the way - never happen?).

2. question:
My Haibike had the Bosch cx motor. It had the updated emtb-mode which meant that
- 1. that the motor supported only from a specific (low) level of pedalling (so pedaling on a slightly falling road initiated no support

2. riding on a flat road with low pedaling power generated only very low supprt but if i pedaled strong (in the flat) the motor recognizes this and incresed support

3. climbing up a middle steep trail motor supported at middle level when i pedaled normally; i increased pedal power or trail becomes steeper ==> motor increased support

Can you please tell me with which logic/model the Kenevo motor works compared to the explained bosch emtb-mode above.

Dont understand me wrong - I like the Kenevos motor setup muc as Its not scooter- but bike-like but I wand to fully understand the motor-modus in order to ebst set up the 3 support/motor max levels.

Apart from that having a 4. level Zero Power or a 4. level in general - like other Ebikes with Brose-Motors would be fine.

Thanks in advance for your help

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
visited shop, got the answer. was a mistake in thinking it through from my side: if i invest low pedalling performance i receive low additional motor performance and not a percentage of max motorpower

thank you

Mountain Dan

Apr 24, 2018
Glencoe
Having seen all the gunk and mud getting into the gap near the top of the casing on the drive side, I decided to strip the motor out and have a look. It was much worse than I thought - all of it congregates around the power lead input. I'm sure others may have come up with alternative fixes, but I went for a good blob of silicon. Rather than just pump in loads which would get all over the motor casing, I carefully fixed some insulation tape to the frame cradle, away from the motor. When the cover is fitted back on, you can just fill up and smooth flat. I'll see how it goes, and if it works, I'll update you all.
20180902_172433.jpg

Last edited:

Mountain Dan

Apr 24, 2018
Glencoe
I put a little in the front of the casing too - but there was no ingress of dirt from this side so not really necessary.

Silicon is easy to pick off - so if it doesn't work, then there's no issues. Nothing ventured - nothing gained !!!
20180902_140121.jpg

Kenevo man

Jul 27, 2018
Huddersfield
Ohlins spring rate chart
Hi I've been trying to get some info on the spring I need I ride a large and the spring is way too soft the one I need is 18074-16 /106 (605) 63 not yet available I've been in touch with Brink cycles, TF tuned and specialized and öhlins.. The last too haven't replied yet

Sonyverdadero

Sep 5, 2018
Austria
Yesterday I got my totally new Kenevo 2019 in storm grey; so today I installed the MC app and already got two questions/problems:

- Connecting the bike to the app, the app doesnt show me "Kenevo" ... it shows "Levo 53787"
- As it´s brandnew, I thought that there will be the new X23 version installed; but it isn´t (?)

Is that normal, or did perhaps my dealer unintentionally change the batteries ?

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Yesterday I got my totally new Kenevo 2019 in storm grey; so today I installed the MC app and already got two questions/problems:

- Connecting the bike to the app, the app doesnt show me "Kenevo" ... it shows "Levo 53787"
- As it´s brandnew, I thought that there will be the new X23 version installed; but it isn´t (?)

Is that normal, or did perhaps my dealer unintentionally change the batteries ?

congrats to you new Bike!

yes, motor, battery and software is exactly the same in Levo & Kenevo, so they show up as "Levo". You have to ignore it :)

Checking/updating the software version is the job of the bike shop as this is part of setting up the bike as best as possible for the customer. Bring it back asap cause the x.23 version is so much better, feels like a different motor!

Sparkydave

Aug 7, 2018
Derbyshire, UK
Hello folks - anyone experience difficulty aligning the thru bolt with the female thread when replacing the battery? Threads are perfect, bolt threads fine without battery however with battery there is a mm misalignment which has stumped me
I was struggling to get my battery back in snugly, until I noticed that one of the cables wasn't clipped in properly in the downtube

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Hello folks - anyone experience difficulty aligning the thru bolt with the female thread when replacing the battery? Threads are perfect, bolt threads fine without battery however with battery there is a mm misalignment which has stumped me

Check the orientation of the locating cam, as described in the manual

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
Dax, Sammy can you please describe the solution simpler for a german language speaker. I face the same problem after appx 10 battery in/outs. Bolt doesnt fit as battery doesnt fit for appx 0,5 mm into the frame any more (no problem at the first battery in/outs). I can amange it if I press the battery on the upper side very strongly to the frame but this cannot be the solution especially as it workes well in the beginning without any problems.

Please help!

Thank you

ProfGruen

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Dax, Sammy can you please describe the solution simpler for a german language speaker. I face the same problem after appx 10 battery in/outs. Bolt doesnt fit as battery doesnt fit for appx 0,5 mm into the frame any more (no problem at the first battery in/outs). I can amange it if I press the battery on the upper side very strongly to the frame but this cannot be the solution especially as it workes well in the beginning without any problems.

Please help!

Thank you

ProfGruen
Hope this helps

1640C44A-815A-4F4E-B57C-663AB6AA7450.jpeg
C67141D0-E054-4A8D-BBD4-8D73FBBBD62A.png
CF7747E1-2294-4406-9901-28406E6805B4.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles