Old blokes who should know better.....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I know who I'm calling to fit my kitchen once this shitstorm is over ;)

Needs benny hill music
Don't worry I'll supply the burds in bikinis

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I know who I'm calling to fit my kitchen once this shitstorm is over ;)

Needs benny hill music
Don't worry I'll supply the burds in bikinis

well as you can see, for a 4m gap I am 'barely' making it... the only thing in my favour is that the take off is higher than the landing. im not confident yet and I havent got consistent timing on the pop

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You're meant to "barely" make it. that's what actual (downslope) landings are for. Not landing past.
Did you learn nothing from all those hours of playing pumped BMX?

:unsure:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
i think you need to stop making all these ramps with all that wood and concentrate on and making a comfier toilet seat ;)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
You're meant to "barely" make it. that's what actual (downslope) landings are for. Not landing past.
Did you learn nothing from all those hours of playing pumped BMX?

:unsure:

as you will have predicted, I havent got that game yet, I've been transporting 4 bags of scalpings onto the path and raking it out... only then do I get to play and rarely now on the PS4.. must have discipline or ill start getting up at 2pm and turn into a student or something :D

I am also restoring my old Specialized Enduro... which is nearly complete :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
as you will have predicted, I havent got that game yet
Yeah. That's why I've been so persistent that you get your landings smooth, learn to bunny hop better and play that game.
I got up at 4pm today. and am back in bed again.
I do have the excuse of having a little virus that's doing the rounds just now tho.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Yeah. That's why I've been so persistent that you get your landings smooth, learn to bunny hop better and play that game.
I got up at 4pm today. and am back in bed again.
I do have the excuse of having a little virus that's doing the rounds just now tho.

eeek ! get well soon mate :(
im struggling with the timing of the bunnyhop but youre right, my bunnyhops are more like the English bunnyhop rather than front wheel first..

for the smooth landings, how ? is it simply getting the bunnyhop right?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
for the smooth landings, how ? is it simply getting the bunnyhop right?
Partly.
smoothness with jumping is the whole thing. From run in to run out. Every part of it matters. and affects each other part
with (american) bunnyhops, timing is crucial. good even strong pre-load, followed by smooth rearwards weight shift picking up the front without a yank/pull but allowing your hips and torso to lean back levering the bars and wheel off the ground smoothly... then a powerful snap forwards off the pre-load to push the bars forwards while picking up the rear, leveling out and smoothly dropping the wheels back down to land precicely (depending on surface/gradient) and using your arms/legs to cushion the landing so it's not in the slightest harsh. ATM you just give up after the lip, hold on and rely on your suspension for the landing.
Learning smooth bunnyhops doesn't ensure you'll be a smooth jumper but it definitely helps. it also lets you get the hang of adjusting the tilt of the bike in the air.
think of the bike tilting around the BB while in the air rather than each wheel separately.
the one good habit you do seem to have is you look ahead. (helps tons with stability while learning to jump).
I do think if you stick at it you'll get there BTW. but with being older (not a kid I mean) it's going to take you way longer to figure everything out.

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Good idea? Bad idea ?
D081AA73-F52A-462F-B83F-49C17E8D6B91.jpeg

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
My garmin has a feature that tells you hom much airtime you are getting, in seconds and height. it tells you speed too but I don't think distance. I haven't really looked at it. Stupid thing was beeping like mental when riding a jumpline when I first used it, so I pulled over thinking it had spazzed out only to read a stupid notification message saying "GREAT JUMP" or something. pretty much ignored it since.
Which Garmin App? I've git a Windsurfing/Kitesurfing one but it seems very inaccurate - seems to think I regularly jump 5m :). And I don't need to know my speed efficiency against wind direction......

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
progress... not really sure where to go from here apart from lots of practise.. the big ramp really scared me today and turns out all I needed to do was go faster to avoid that 'stall' at the top of the ramp where the lip gets hold of the back wheel.. proof that you just need to send it sometimes I suppose.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
You should print off that one where you are both jumping at the same time. Blow it up and frame it as a permanent memento of this special time. In a few years you won't be cool enough for him to do this sort of stuff with you.

I know but I really hope not.. he is begging me for an electric bike now so we can trail ride together without me towing him... looking forward to plenty more years of it but I suspect you are right :(

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I know but I really hope not.. he is begging me for an electric bike now so we can trail ride together without me towing him... looking forward to plenty more years of it but I suspect you are right :(
I was lucky at Sams age, there were only analog bikes... makes it cheaper. also I have 2 boys.
I have done a lot of riding with my boys (Now 19 and 21). You just have to keep it interesting enough for them. We have been to quite a few bikeparks around Germany and Austria. Often they do the hard core trails and I stick to the Old man trails and meet at the bottom. If you keep paying their tickets and drinks, it keeps them interested in riding with you for longer!! Bribery so to speak.
Did the Transalp with my 21 year old last year, and he said he was interested in doing another one with me this year. Might not be possible this year though.. we will see how long this Covid stuff goes on.
Anyway it is great having hobbies you can do together with your kids. We still windsurf, ski, snowboard and mountainbike together, so I can be happy.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
With all our other problems, Dobby is now trying to create a national pallet shortage by hoarding them all in his garden. Call the police!

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I was lucky at Sams age, there were only analog bikes... makes it cheaper. also I have 2 boys.
I have done a lot of riding with my boys (Now 19 and 21). You just have to keep it interesting enough for them. We have been to quite a few bikeparks around Germany and Austria. Often they do the hard core trails and I stick to the Old man trails and meet at the bottom. If you keep paying their tickets and drinks, it keeps them interested in riding with you for longer!! Bribery so to speak.
Did the Transalp with my 21 year old last year, and he said he was interested in doing another one with me this year. Might not be possible this year though.. we will see how long this Covid stuff goes on.
Anyway it is great having hobbies you can do together with your kids. We still windsurf, ski, snowboard and mountainbike together, so I can be happy.
Snap - Windsurf, ski and MTB. Agree with your posts about subsiding sports and food and drink! Would also point out when they develop "close friends" we get relegated. Sadly I don't game but that would also be a good link getting to their interests. It's a great memory doing things together and seeing @dobbyhasfriends jumping in tandem reminds me of the first time my son planned next to me or we jumped the same wave together. Great memories brought back. Thanks

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
jumping in tandem reminds me of the first time my son planned next to me or we jumped the same wave together. Great memories brought back. Thanks

awesome stuff mate, now ive done this I can imagine what thats like... I always thought that we would play rugby for the same team at some point but he wont play rugby and I dont blame him :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles