NE Scotland
Overdue I think ?
IMG_20200325_100836.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Don't let @Doomanic see that, he's on kato ? Keto ? Kate ? some food or lady which isn't healthy for you. That's going to look scrummy, he'll nibble his way through your plastic motor cover for a snack.

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
I'm having a nightmare. Unplugged everything to give it all a clean out. Now the fucking thing won't turn on. All connections are as they came out and I've continuity tested the di2 cable that goes to the display which is fine. I guess it's going for a trip to my local Shimano service centre when this COVID situation passes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Overdue I think ?

E Sommet?

Most of the shite is probably coming in throughfrom the rear/above your motor and through the areaI've highlighted below
Inkedblackeyebeannoodlemotor_LI.jpg

it enters through the top where the wiring nest sits and the shock/swing arms is positioned.
Washing the bike pushed it down and into the rear gap of the motor (poor planning by both Shimano and Vitus)
As R120 says motofoam that area, both from the position you can see shown in the pic and from above. I also made a small shield/guard to stop shite getting in there in the first place.

once you've done that and cleaned/dried out all your connectors thoroughly and sloved the wiring issues. replace the connection cover and silicone the edges (sparingly) and electrical tape the edge all the way round.
My first Esommet (ridden in shite daily and washed after every ride) connection bay would fill with shite every few weeks until I figured out why.

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
E Sommet?

Most of the shite is probably coming in throughfrom the rear/above your motor and through the areaI've highlighted below
View attachment 27844

it enters through the top where the wiring nest sits and the shock/swing arms is positioned.
Washing the bike pushed it down and into the rear gap of the motor (poor planning by both Shimano and Vitus)
As R120 says motofoam that area, both from the position you can see shown in the pic and from above. I also made a small shield/guard to stop shite getting in there in the first place.

once you've done that and cleaned/dried out all your connectors thoroughly and sloved the wiring issues. replace the connection cover and silicone the edges (sparingly) and electrical tape the edge all the way round.
My first Esommet (ridden in shite daily and washed after every ride) connection bay would fill with shite every few weeks until I figured out why.

Thanks Gary I will definately be doing this once I resolve the current issue. Wish I had never touched it I only did it as I was bored because of this lock down. Hopefully the EP8 is a properly encapsulated jobby!

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Check that the Display and Speed sensor DI2 cables are in the same position as before and they have not been swapped

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
Update! Just back from being away working for the last couple weeks and got a chance to have another look. One of the data pins on the plug on the motor (for power and data to battery) had buckled slightly and pushed back in to the plug. Thankfully I managed to pull it back out and straighten it out and away she went.the plug and socket are keyed so not sure how it's happend to be honest. I'll definately be extra careful in the future!

On another note my RH crank arm fell of today with no warning. Managed to clean the splines up and refit so no disaster. I did check the pinch bolts before I set off so not sure how it happend. I know I read of others having this issue so will search the forum for tips on preventing this happening again.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Swap out the crappy plastic crank retaininers for some metal ones, you can pick some up on eBay for not much, and whilst not designed to keep the crank on, they do make it far more likely to stay on if the pinch bolts come loose

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Update! Just back from being away working for the last couple weeks and got a chance to have another look. One of the data pins on the plug on the motor (for power and data to battery) had buckled slightly and pushed back in to the plug. Thankfully I managed to pull it back out and straighten it out and away she went.the plug and socket are keyed so not sure how it's happend to be honest. I'll definately be extra careful in the future!

On another note my RH crank arm fell of today with no warning. Managed to clean the splines up and refit so no disaster. I did check the pinch bolts before I set off so not sure how it happend. I know I read of others having this issue so will search the forum for tips on preventing this happening again.

Do you have the safety plate installed? Make sure you do. And torque to spec (and make sure both pinch bolts are evenly torqued). Common issue is people tighten one, then the other, not realizing that the first one is now likely loosened up.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Common issue is people tighten one, then the other, not realizing that the first one is now likely loosened up.
That's not actually the issue.
They can still "walk" off the spline with correct torque on the pinch bolts.
This is because they do not load against the bearing cover in the way a HTII crank arm was actually designed to so when they flex they move more.

One of the reasons the Alu crank cap bolts help is because the arm is actually loaded by the metal lip instead of a stupid plastic lip that will flex and then strip it's stupid plastic threads.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
As I said I checked the pinch bolts before that ride. Aluminium caps are on their way!
which ones did you order, I've been after a set that use an 8 or 6mm allen key instead of the 10mm all the chinese ones seem to. Currently I carry a separate short 8mm to 10mm stepped hex bit along with my multi tool, but would rather not have to.

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
which ones did you order, I've been after a set that use an 8 or 6mm allen key instead of the 10mm all the chinese ones seem to. Currently I carry a separate short 8mm to 10mm stepped hex bit along with my multi tool, but would rather not have to.

Looks like 10mm allen I didn't even consider that. Doh!

Screenshot_20200416_083223_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Last edited:

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles