• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Tubeless setup leaking from wheel/spoke.

asmar

Mar 7, 2020
Crete, Greece
Hi all,

I've got lots of air coming out from the wheel and from one spoke on a new bike/tubeless setup.
Adding more sealant doesn't stop the leak. I guess the problem comes to the rim tape.
Is it going to work if I just put patches of rim tape to the problematic areas?

Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Also agree here. It won't take long to strip the existing tape from the rim. Wipe over with iso-propyl alcohol, meths, or anything to remove any crap and remnants of old sealant. Gorilla tape was recommended to me by the Sherwood Pines bike shop, they use it all the time, and now so do I. It is cheap, durable and easy to apply. I use the 25mm wide stuff in the woven black finish because it looks like carbon fibre! OK, no-one else can see it but I know it's there! :giggle:
Two layers and it has worked every single time for me. However, some users say that it can be difficult to remove, if indeed you ever need to remove it. Apparently the adhesive can be a bit clingy. I've never had to do it, but I'm sure that an appropriate solvent will do the job.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
when you keeping adding sealant to a rim that's leaking at the spoke eyelets it results in filling the rim cavity with sealant.
I see this a fair bit when trueing/re-building folks wheels.
some sealants dry out and ball up and if this happens you're going to have it rattling around the inner cavity of the rim and it may be difficult to remove in future.
If you're happy with that carry on but personally I'd remove your tape and clean out the sealant from inside the rim ASAP and replace the entire rimtape
When fitting new tape always clean the rim up properly (Detergent then Isopropyl/brake cleaner) and re-tape with decent waterproof tubeless tape.

Gorilla tape does work but isn't even air tight so relys on the sealant to seal it fully
It also leaves a horrible to remove resedue which can take hours to remove from many rims.
I reckon most folk who recommend it rarely ever have had to remove the stuff and only use it because it's cheap. Proper tubeless rim tape isn't exactly expensive.

asmar

Mar 7, 2020
Crete, Greece
Hi Gary, thanks for the detailed post.
Initially, I put just 70ml of sealant so I guess that was very little. I've added a total of 120 ml and went for a 30km ride and had no issues.

I will keep an eye on it, however!

Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
FYI I tend to use 100-120ml in a 27.5x2.5 tyre.
Your rim cavity will still have some sealant in it.
New tubeless set ups which leak slowly. often seal better during their first few rides as the sealant is thrown around inside the tyre.
Sealant does need topping up a little or changed every so often (3-6months for topping up). This will also be dependant on punctures it's fixed and how much the bike is ridden.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Good quality tubeless tape (of the correct width) on a properly cleaned and prepared (and tubeless ready) rim needs only one layer of tape.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Which dedicated rim tase does anyone recommend then ? I have used Gorilla tape and it has worked perfectly and when changing tyres ( after about 5 months because of damage) there wasn't much residue.
When I tried Stan's tape, yellow stuff and a bit wider. it seemed very inflexible and didn't seal or stick to the properly cleaned rim.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
It is far more important that the tape adheres to the "shoulders" of the rim channel rather than the center of the rim channel. Clean and try the rim with isopropyl alcohol. Stan's tape works fine *if* it's the correct width. It should fit nearly *exactly* between the two rim walls. DT Swiss makes good tape, though my favorite is Whisky's tubeless tape. After installing the tape, use your finger to press firmly as you move around the rim shoulders so that this part seals well.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
Doesn’t that disturb the tape when removing the tube and putting the tubeless valve in?

I use a hot nail to Pierce the tape for the valve. On the 4 wheels I've done the tube valve didn't disturb the tape. This isn't my idea. It was suggested on a couple utube videos watched in preparation. The tape is doubled by 10 inches or so - over the valve hole

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I’m having trouble with tubeless setup. The rim tape looks damaged so will replace but the valve hole is also scored. Any ideas please? Looks like it’s been over tightened, probably me.

D59623DA-A392-4FA9-B480-986B8949F247.jpeg

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I’m having trouble with tubeless setup. The rim tape looks damaged so will replace but the valve hole is also scored. Any ideas please? Looks like it’s been over tightened, probably me.

Damage to the outside of the rim won't affect your tubeless seal, which is formed by the rubber end base of the valve plugging the hole on the inside of the rim.

Make sure you very thoroughly clean the rim after removing the old tape before you add your new tape.

If the valve leaks at the hole, try a couple of turns of plumbers PTFE tape around the base of the valve (inside the rim) to help it sit in the hole.

Good luck!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Thanks I’m going to go back to Stans I had tried Finish Line. Same result with cushcore and milkit valves which have the o rings.

Another option, which is a bit messy sometimes but works well, is adding a bit of glitter inside the tire before adding sealant. It helps boost the "clumping effect" slightly.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Mine leaked from the spoke holes for a bit, only when I pumped it up kinda high. It settled down quick enough. Next time I do it I’ll re do the tape and not use the pre-installed tape.

I used Stans and had to use more that the 125ml. The tyre was riddled with holes though, was like a tea bag.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
The tyre was riddled with holes though, was like a tea bag.

That's why our LBS told my mate his tyres weren't tubeless ready (they were) and his rims weren't suitable (they're tubeless ready rims). They knew damned well that a well used tyre would make one hell of a mess of their workshop :ROFLMAO:

(I didn't offer to do it for him either. I know how many times he's repaired punctures in that sieve of his which pretends to be a tyre).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles