Focus Jam 2 6.7 Charger Dead

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Hi folks, I was hoping my second post in the forum wouldn’t be a problem, but seems my Derby Cycle 4500 serial charger has given up the ghost, no lights, just dead. I’ve checked the fuse in the plug, tried a different power cable, but nothing.

I used my bike Friday evening, came back and put it on charge and it was happily charging. Checked it yesterday morning, and the charger lights were off and the bike battery still in the red.

I‘ve got a TEC Pack, at 80% charge currently, and it won’t charge that either.

Obviously, with everything going on at the moment, I’m not expecting a warranty replacement anytime soon, so my question was do any other chargers work with the Focus/E8000 system? I need to find a workaround really, otherwise it’s going to be sitting with a flat battery for who knows how long.

I’ll call the bike shop tomorrow who I believe are still working in some capacity but understandably they’ll be focusing on people who need a bike for work etc.

I‘ve found some RoPD connector chargers on Amazon in Germany for older focus bikes, but nervous if they’ll turn up anytime soon or even work if they do.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 9, 2019
North Wales
Hi folks, I was hoping my second post in the forum wouldn’t be a problem, but seems my Derby Cycle 4500 serial charger has given up the ghost, no lights, just dead. I’ve checked the fuse in the plug, tried a different power cable, but nothing.

I used my bike Friday evening, came back and put it on charge and it was happily charging. Checked it yesterday morning, and the charger lights were off and the bike battery still in the red.

I‘ve got a TEC Pack, at 80% charge currently, and it won’t charge that either.

Obviously, with everything going on at the moment, I’m not expecting a warranty replacement anytime soon, so my question was do any other chargers work with the Focus/E8000 system? I need to find a workaround really, otherwise it’s going to be sitting with a flat battery for who knows how long.

I’ll call the bike shop tomorrow who I believe are still working in some capacity but understandably they’ll be focusing on people who need a bike for work etc.

I‘ve found some RoPD connector chargers on Amazon in Germany for older focus bikes, but nervous if they’ll turn up anytime soon or even work if they do.

Thanks in advance!
hi Tooks
Mine is doing similar today,green light comes on, but then stops charging,will google anything on the web,
Gwyn

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Just a silly suggestion . I have had some erratic connections to the bike/charger lead and sometimes giving the magnetic connector a clean with alcohol or methylated spirit and jiggling the connectors together has do ne the trick.
There is a lot on here about the 4500 vs 4000 charger as the former seems to be faulty.
Hope,you get it sorted.......if you are in East Anglia you are welcome to use mine .
Good luck

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
hi Tooks
Mine is doing similar today,green light comes on, but then stops charging,will google anything on the web,
Gwyn

Hi Gwyn, I don’t even get a green light, just nothing at all. I can hear it buzzing slightly, so something internal has gone wrong with it I think.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Just a silly suggestion . I have had some erratic connections to the bike/charger lead and sometimes giving the magnetic connector a clean with alcohol or methylated spirit and jiggling the connectors together has do ne the trick.
There is a lot on here about the 4500 vs 4000 charger as the former seems to be faulty.
Hope,you get it sorted.......if you are in East Anglia you are welcome to use mine .
Good luck

Thanks OldBean, I gave the connector a good spray with contact cleaner, and I’ve tried wiggling/jiggling, but still the charger shows no sign of life.

Thanks for the offer of a charge, but unnecessary journeys and all that!

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Gwyn, try sticking yours on a warm radiator for 30 mins. The 4500 doesn't like being cold and it works for mine.

Tooks, not any help, but they don't like being left connected for any length of time after they have finished charging. According to Chris Smith on EMBN anyway.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Gwyn, try sticking yours on a warm radiator for 30 mins. The 4500 doesn't like being cold and it works for mine.

Tooks, not any help, but they don't like being left connected for any length of time after they have finished charging. According to Chris Smith on EMBN anyway.

I use a timer on mine for max 3 hrs.....may help

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK

Thanks Peaky, it would appear the charge never actually finished anyway, when I turned the bike on after removing the dead charger it was still saying empty.

Whatever happened to it must have happened shortly after I’d left it happily charging away.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Just an update to this, got a replacement charger delivered from the bike shop today, another 4500 serial unit, and it’s working fine and the bike is recharged now.

Can’t say I have much confidence in the charger going forward, but fingers crossed!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles