megavalanche in an e-bike

Di P

Feb 10, 2020
North Wales
Like a lunatic I’ve signed up to do Mega on my Decoy. Has anyone else done this event with their eBike? Is it a struggle on the lifts? Just watched the scariest video of grown men sliding down the glacier on their backsides being towed out of control by their heavy bikes... any tips on glaciers or general training to prepare would be very welcome! Thanks Di

13CB7F28-4DBF-40CF-8405-FB381973CDE7.jpeg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I think it may have been! Great vid but has scared the bejeezers out of me! As I know I’m going to have to do something similar! Did you struggle with heavy bikes on the lift?
Bikes on the lifts were absolutely fine. Biggest tip is to get strong and fit. It’s a 60 minute downhill which takes it out of you. I used a plan from @Ben Plenge Strength Factory to help.

It’s a great experience and you’ll have a proper laugh out there. Loads of good riding ?

Last edited:

Di P

Feb 10, 2020
North Wales
Bikes on the lifts were absolutely fine. Biggest tip is to get strong and fit. It’s a 60 minute downhill which takes it out of you. I used a plan from @Ben Plenge Strength Factory to help.

It’s a great experience and you’ll have a proper laugh out there. Kids of good riding ?
That’s my plan. Going to hit the gym and keep riding my local trails, such coed y Brenin, I think I may be hitting up some padded shorts and tops too! I just need to get off that glacier before the elite ladies come down!

Ben Plenge

Apr 15, 2019
That’s my plan. Going to hit the gym and keep riding my local trails, such coed y Brenin, I think I may be hitting up some padded shorts and tops too! I just need to get off that glacier before the elite ladies come down!

[/QUOTE]
Hey mate, Ben here at The Strength Factory. If you have any training questions then drop me a line on here or you can check out my training programme for E-MTB at only £35.
The Ultimate E-MTB Programme - The Strength Factory
Cheers mate - you'll love the Mega - it is amazing!
Ben

Di P

Feb 10, 2020
North Wales
Hey mate, Ben here at The Strength Factory. If you have any training questions then drop me a line on here or you can check out my training programme for E-MTB at only £35.
The Ultimate E-MTB Programme - The Strength Factory
Cheers mate - you'll love the Mega - it is amazing!
Ben[/QUOTE]
Thanks Ben, I was having a look. I had a hip arthroscopy end of 2018, and recovery has been slow, but any advice welcome and will drop you a line about your plan ?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Lots of places particularly Austria ( Sledgehammer ) and starting to get going in America ( Lenz). We started must have been 8 years or more ago and there was one video on Youtube, a mate had decided to give up skiing because of knee injuries and we all went noooooo.

So we built ski bikes and it all went from there, pretty sophisticated now and more ski bikes than bike conversions, we ski the same lines and same places as skiers now including powder and bumps, great fun and a real cross between mtb and skiing.

Heres a cool little vid for you with probably a name most of you recognise Rob Nicholls

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Lots of places particularly Austria ( Sledgehammer ) and starting to get going in America ( Lenz). We started must have been 8 years or more ago and there was one video on Youtube, a mate had decided to give up skiing because of knee injuries and we all went noooooo.

So we built ski bikes and it all went from there, pretty sophisticated now and more ski bikes than bike conversions, we ski the same lines and same places as skiers now including powder and bumps, great fun and a real cross between mtb and skiing.

Heres a cool little vid for you with probably a name most of you recognise Rob Nicholls

I’m heading to Las Clusaz in a few weeks we saw people riding them but no hires.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
It's super fun. Get out there for the whole week as your lift pass is for 5 days and there is also an Enduro race your entered into for free.

I've posted info on another thread about it, but it's a blast..! You will be fine. Just the top bit on the glacier is a bit sketchy. Just sit down if you don't like it as we did, or gravity takes over !!

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I've entered on my Decoy too, and as it's my first time, and at 59, am a touch nervous......
All part of a planned month in the Alps alternating between riding and house bashing at a new place we've bought in Valmorel.
Also doing the pds a couple of weeks before, which I have done before and can highly recommend.
Drop me a line and we can arrange to meet up over there.

Di P

Feb 10, 2020
North Wales
I've entered on my Decoy too, and as it's my first time, and at 59, am a touch nervous......
All part of a planned month in the Alps alternating between riding and house bashing at a new place we've bought in Valmorel.
Also doing the pds a couple of weeks before, which I have done before and can highly recommend.
Drop me a line and we can arrange to meet up over there.
Hi mark!
Sounds great! I’m going with a gang but am the only e-bike, so would be great to know a fellow Decoy rider on the start line! I’d be interested to know your set up re tyre choices etc. Let me know the best way to get in touch! I’m on insta as Di_mtb and only started this mtb lark late in 2016, when bad hip out paid to my triathlon efforts and I got fed up of nearly being squashed every time I went out on my road bike! I live up near Caernarfon in north wales!
?Di

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Setup - well its my first time so I'll be looking for tips just like you. I will probably be using Minions front and back, but will probably go Exo+ for the rear, and maybe slightly skinnier (2.6 maybe). Not sure what size options are available. Other than that, fresh brake pads for the race, and (being old) as much body armour as I can muster:LOL:.

The mention of 'triathlon' suggests your much fitter then me - I'm your typical old 'spread' gent but have been mtb'ing since the 80s - used to know whats I was doing years ago but now I'm definitely 'the older I get the faster I was' :p.

From just outside Manchester. Ride mainly Degla, Gisburn and around Saddleworth, also get to Swinley a few times a month as work down south.

I'll try and connect on Insta, I'm 'hobdaysecurity'.

Di P

Feb 10, 2020
North Wales
Setup - well its my first time so I'll be looking for tips just like you. I will probably be using Minions front and back, but will probably go Exo+ for the rear, and maybe slightly skinnier (2.6 maybe). Not sure what size options are available. Other than that, fresh brake pads for the race, and (being old) as much body armour as I can muster:LOL:.

The mention of 'triathlon' suggests your much fitter then me - I'm your typical old 'spread' gent but have been mtb'ing since the 80s - used to know whats I was doing years ago but now I'm definitely 'the older I get the faster I was' :p.

From just outside Manchester. Ride mainly Degla, Gisburn and around Saddleworth, also get to Swinley a few times a month as work down south.

I'll try and connect on Insta, I'm 'hobdaysecurity'.
I’m definitely not fit now! Had almost a year of doing not much due to my hip op...
I’ve not ridden degla yet, hoping to get over there soon! Coed y Brenin is my ‘local’!
I just took delivery of some leatt body armour today! Mesh jacket type with soft inserts!
Seen your insta invite ?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
You don’t need to be super fit at all. It’s almost all downhill. Two sections may tax you, the glacier no amount of training will prepare you for..! The wood section after Alpe D’Huez is steep but not super tech, just a challenge. There’s only like 2 uphill sections where you might need fitness...

I’d say work on your death grip training. It’s just a 1 hr descent. Nothing over technical just endurance.

Everyone will get to the bottom it’s really just a question of timings. We had a medi-evac behind us and they delayed the next race so never ever had anyone up our tail asking to get past on an eBike so that’s also a challenge we didn’t have. It’s such fun, amazing achievement. Don’t be panicked by it. Get out there early and practice the runs and you won’t have any shocks on the day..

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Degla is ace but doesn't cover as much ground as CyB and is possibly a little easier colour for colour. You can get 2 laps of the full black loop on a charge as long as you avoid turbo.

Di P

Feb 10, 2020
North Wales
You don’t need to be super fit at all. It’s almost all downhill. Two sections may tax you, the glacier no amount of training will prepare you for..! The wood section after Alpe D’Huez is steep but not super tech, just a challenge. There’s only like 2 uphill sections where you might need fitness...

I’d say work on your death grip training. It’s just a 1 hr descent. Nothing over technical just endurance.

Everyone will get to the bottom it’s really just a question of timings. We had a medi-evac behind us and they delayed the next race so never ever had anyone up our tail asking to get past on an eBike so that’s also a challenge we didn’t have. It’s such fun, amazing achievement. Don’t be panicked by it. Get out there early and practice the runs and you won’t have any shocks on the day..
Thanks for the tips! We’re arriving on the Sunday, so time to practice! I’ve been riding mainly downhill since my op, I’m better on a bike than off one, but bought the decoy to help get me out beyond the uplift parks!
The glacier looks mental... I have no plan for that! I need to get out on my Decoy and build some strength as I find it quite a handful on some tracks still. But thank you for the words of encouragement! Only other mass start I’ve done is fox hunt!

Di P

Feb 10, 2020
North Wales
Degla is ace but doesn't cover as much ground as CyB and is possibly a little easier colour for colour. You can get 2 laps of the full black loop on a charge as long as you avoid turbo.
Thanks Mark
I will investigate!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Thanks for the tips! We’re arriving on the Sunday, so time to practice! I’ve been riding mainly downhill since my op, I’m better on a bike than off one, but bought the decoy to help get me out beyond the uplift parks!
The glacier looks mental... I have no plan for that! I need to get out on my Decoy and build some strength as I find it quite a handful on some tracks still. But thank you for the words of encouragement! Only other mass start I’ve done is fox hunt!

Can’t get round the glacier on the eBike race, you have to go down it!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles