Broken Button On Handlebar Controller

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
One of our crowd has broken the up-button on the handlebar controller during a sudden and unexpected powered demount...

IMG_2821.JPG

The LBS says that there are no spares for this item and that the whole side switch must be replaced. They have quoted 239€ - which I guess will include installation at that price. The side switch is available online at 119€.

Even so, this seems a large price to pay for a 2 cent button. Does anyone one of a source for the buttons or the outer housing?

Another solution would be a suitable silicon housing like those available for the Bosch and Shimano controllers. Anyone know of a source?

It seems to me, looking at the way the button overlaps the controller body, that this is a built-in cash cow for Yamaha. These buttons are a breakage waiting to happen. Guaranteed income for Yamaha for life :mad:.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
There is another control unit listed for PW motors but I can't find a definitive fitting list but if it's suitable there are some being sold cheaply on eBay.
Google 'Yamaha 3050817060'.
You may get more info by posting your query on the Endless Sphere Forum forum?

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
There is another control unit listed for PW motors but I can't find a definitive fitting list but if it's suitable there are some being sold cheaply on eBay.
Google 'Yamaha 3050817060'.
You may get more info by posting your query on the Endless Sphere Forum forum?

Thanks for the tip. I'll go look.

(The PWX sideswitch is different to the 3050817060)

Wyn

Jun 14, 2020
Trefriw
I have just joined this forum. I have also broken a button on the same model side switch except mine is the down button. Did you the owner of the sideswitch manage to repair his or did he have to buy a new one.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I have just joined this forum. I have also broken a button on the same model side switch except mine is the down button. Did you the owner of the sideswitch manage to repair his or did he have to buy a new one.

No, he's still not managed to find a replacement button. I suggested finding someone with a 3D printer to make him one (mirror image of the surviving button) but he wasn't that keen. When I rode out with him last week he was talking about biting the bullet and buying a whole new unit.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
If you haven't sorted this, MH have now brought out a cover to fit the Yamaha display A unit and it's an excellent fit.

View attachment 37671

No. Tony's not fixed it yet. Same problem as you had: nothing in stock no matter what the ad says.

This looks like it may well be the answer. I'll pass it on to him.

Thanks.

roba3000

Oct 29, 2020
Slovenia
Happened to me also on rented Hibike. I had to pay for new one ?. I can't believe the design flaw... This is really crazy. I got the one with the lower button broken. If anybody need it I sale it for 30 €.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 09.52.28.png

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
This broken button looks exactly like on the first picture. It looks like there is a stress concentration at that area where it cracked, looks like the button bends over that metallic color switch.

This is not the first issue with Yamaha e-bikes equipment buttons, Yamaha battery level check buttons have issue too, those cracks after some time.

If it was me I would create CAD model of those buttons and ordered them to be 3D printed on HP MJF 3D printer out of black nylon and replaced the original buttons.

I'm not sure if those buttons are possible to replace though, it looks like the housing is glued or ultrasonically welded.

Last edited:

JC1982

Feb 6, 2021
South Wales
Hi all hope this helpw.

Mine broke while riding and it was replaced under the warranty. I explained that it snapped while I was riding and changing the power setting.

Lubi

Sep 7, 2022
Furnes
I designed the button👍

Ron23

Oct 29, 2022
I designed the button👍
Hi Lubi,

sadly I am facing a similar issue.
Today I broke the bottom button down on my mother-in-laws bike. You can imagine the delicate situation.

yamaha_broken.jpg

Have you tested the 3D printed model? Is it replaceable?

Above one user wrote: "I'm not sure if those buttons are possible to replace though, it looks like the housing is glued or ultrasonically welded."

Thank you in advance!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles