Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Product Image:
mudhugger.jpg

Product name: Mudhugger Rear LARGE
Price paid: £30
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: Mudguards are ugly.. Bikes look simple and sleek. Once you adorn them with sticky out crap they loose their visual balance.

Unfortunately, when it's wet and muddy, that sleek bike gets covered in crap and all it's pretty little ,obscenely expensive, moving parts get crap in and wear faster. Plus, the rider gets covered in crap, unless you're sensible and slow down or do your best to avoid mud and wet. I'm dumb, I don't.

For me, I don't really like the bike overly covered in crap, though sometimes it's just unavoidable. I'm also not a fan of having a soaking wet arse and mud being thrown forwards over the bars, phone,display,laptop... everything ..

The mudhugger rear's already been pretty extensively reviewed.

Here is the "Medium" - previously the 29 :

Mudhugger FRX and rear 29er mudguard - EMTB Forums

210g, 640mm long and 140mm stays.

The latest addition to the range is the "Large" :

LARGE Rear Mudhugger

285g, 760mm long and 160mm stays.

Some people like the look, I'm not a fan .. Making something which was ugly even bigger makes it even uglier .. but if you're going to have ugly, you might as well have effective ugly !

I've attached it on top as intended, but having seen @MrTeno2U 's inverted fitting technique, I might swap it round and try that. If mounting your rear spoiler in a hanging fashion works for Koenigsegg, then maybe fixing my mudhugger on the underside will work for me.

Mr T's method with bonus zip tie bling.

So, the large .. well, it's - to quote "for the modern full suspension bikes that have low seat stay angles of 26 deg down to 22 deg. This is an extra long Hugger that is designed to be trimmed down to fit your bike perfectly. Think Specialized Turbo Levo, Kenevo, most Pivot, Nukeproof bikes, Santa Cruz, Lapierre and Yeti full suss bikes."

It's long enough to keep the rider dry and anyone else within 10 meters of the bike :)

Mine seems to have a twist in from transportation. I tried repeatedly holding it the other way but it always springs back twisted. I brought it into the house last night and it straightened itself out with the extra warmth. Unfortunately, it settle back into it's twisted shape once it had cooled back down to zero. So some more manipulation is required there.

Hellitape is supplied to protect your stays. It was too cold to apply it this morning and I was short on time, so that's a job for later.

Installed :

mudhugger.jpg

Then took it out for a quick ride in search of mud and water ..

A crap picture, but rode up here as fast as possible for 300 meters :

wet.jpg

And after - hardly any forward spray and splash. Apart from the expected front splash, I was dry.

afterwet.jpg

After some more mud .. good results .. Some crap is getting through to the lower linkage area, but no more than when I had the "mudhugger front" on the back. Ideally it still wants a second guard to stop that too.

after.jpg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yikes .. It's a lot thicker than the other Mudhugger guards - which seem to have survived intact so far despite me heavily abusing them. Maybe the extra thickness makes it more brittle, seemed pretty robust when I was trying to bend it straight ..

Short UPDATE .. 2 quick rides yesterday to try it .. 30km's. I was dry and considerably cleaner than normal. Puddles and mud could be taken as fast as possible, though my shoes took the punishment for that from the front wheel.

Cleaned everything and took it off to install the (supplied) helitape.

The guard had scratched the seat stays a lot just in that time, so it's imperative that you install the protection. It was about -2 this morning, so the tape was solid. Stuck it in front of the woodburner for a short time and that softened it up. Taking it back outside and then touching a cold bike quickly reversed that .. :) It was more pliable than yesterday though and managed to shape it round the stays. Then the humble hair dryer did a fantastic job of softening it enough to work the shape to fit correctly. Installed it with just 4 zip ties this time and it still feels solid.

You still get junk collecting above the bottom linkage, so if you want to keep that clean, you'll need an @Will Hesch guard on a newer levo/kenevo or something else for all the other bikes. I tried various configurations with the old mudhugger front, but couldn't get anything where it would sit on the outside of the new guard and not foul the wheel by the bottom linkage.

mud.jpg

Several hours later .. my shoes were still draining .. :confused::unsure:

shoes.jpg

EDIT : With the helitape installed and the slightly tapered stays, the guard managed to slide down and loosen itself on the gnarly stuff .. it must have been pretty gnarly as my gear's unindexed themselves and the gear selector came loose .. (though the two there could be connected ! :) )

So pit stop back home and three zip ties either side have held it firm ..

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
To enable one of these to fit my Fatbike I left the cable tie end in a sink of near boiling water to soften it, then removed and bent it wider before before running cold water over it to 'set' the plastic. Because the rear brake pipe runs down one of seatstays I fitted it on the inner side of them with no issue.
IMG_20200121_201120.jpg
IMG_20200121_201239.jpg

Last edited:

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
To enable one of these to fit my Fatbike I left the cable tie end in a sink of near boiling water to soften it, then removed and bent it wider before before running cold water over it to 'set' the plastic. Because the rear brake pipe runs down one of seatstays I fitted it on the inner side of them with no issue.
Good approach - probably better than faffing with hairdryers/ heatguns - though I can't see any kind of protective tape on your frame. As @Zimmerframe mentioned, these things really chew up your stays. Here's guys from Mudhugger saying as much, which is why they supply with thick heli-tape. Personally I tape, mount, then seal the interface with silicone to keep out grit and dampen vibrations.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Good approach - probably better than faffing with hairdryers/ heatguns - though I can't see any kind of protective tape on your frame. As @Zimmerframe mentioned, these things really chew up your stays. Here's guys from Mudhugger saying as much, which is why they supply with thick heli-tape. Personally I tape, mount, then seal the interface with silicone to keep out grit and dampen vibrations.
Bugg*r, forgot the tape, thanks for pointing that out ??

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
When I saw the amount of crud that was wedged into the motor cover from the rear linkage, just from 6 or 7 winter rides on a brand new bike, I can forego the loss of style caused by add-on plastic bits until Spring/Summer.
I too have left style behind. I've already posted this photo on another thread ... I think I may be working through my shame in posting it again. My beautiful bike is currently rocking this mutant monstrosity - a bodged Proguard Front Max overlaid with a Mudhugger.
IMG_20200119_005713207.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There's an good opening for someone to come up with a sticker kit design which manages to transform ugly into stunning ! Maybe go faster flames ! :devilish:

I think it is something you get used to though. The more I look at mine, the less it seems 1970's "Cadillac wanna be" and more ... just there ...

It does encourage you to ride faster though .. one, so you can somehow leave it behind visually in some kind of blur .... and two, so no one can see it .... :)

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I too have left style behind. I've already posted this photo on another thread ... I think I may be working through my shame in posting it again. My beautiful bike is currently rocking this mutant monstrosity - a bodged Proguard Front Max overlaid with a Mudhugger.
View attachment 24845

I have the same bodged combo too - works great on my hardtail:
20191120_154251.jpg

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
I have the same bodged combo too - works great on my hardtail:
Interesting. I look at yours at think: "Looks fine", but I look over at my bike and think: "The horror!" However, I can't see it while riding, whereas - without it - I can feel mud being catapulted onto my arse. This is what I've been telling myself anyhows.

Yours does look better as your install is a lot less cack-handed and half-hearted than mine. I was unconvinced beforehand, so just slapped one over the other, but it definitely works well. I think once I've better come to terms with the aesthetic horror of it all, I'll be tidying mine up to make it a more permanent combo.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Interesting. I look at yours at think: "Looks fine", but I look over at my bike and think: "The horror!" However, I can't see it while riding, whereas - without it - I can feel mud being catapulted onto my arse. This is what I've been telling myself anyhows.

Yours does look better as your install is a lot less cack-handed and half-hearted than mine. I was unconvinced beforehand, so just slapped one over the other, but it definitely works well. I think once I've better come to terms with the aesthetic horror of it all, I'll be tidying mine up to make it a more permanent combo.
When I was trying to extend the bottom section of mine, I thought the lower guard would need to be on the outside of the Mudhugger ? Otherwise mud would just feed between the two guard's and end up above the motor... Or does this not happen for some reason ?

I have noticed another problem. Whilst I thought I went fast through mud and water before, the uglyhugger has enabled me to fearlessly go flat out through mud and water. So now, the front Mudhugger is insufficient and even with a full face, I end up with crap in my face. ??

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
When I was trying to extend the bottom section of mine, I thought the lower guard would need to be on the outside of the Mudhugger ? Otherwise mud would just feed between the two guard's and end up above the motor... Or does this not happen for some reason ?
@Darren may be better placed to answer this, given he seems to have done properly. I doubt it matters much though, and given how the Mudhugger mounts, it's probably easiest to mount outside in most, if not all, combos. Even with my current bodge job, which leaves big gaps between the two guards, I haven't found this an issue so far. There may have been a dribble emerging from the front edge of the Mudhugger, but not enough to worry about. Afterwards I did have to hose a fair bit of inter-guard-ial filth out though. (Sorry to the English language there.)

If I eventually redo properly, I'll probably trim the flick off the rear of the Proguard and get busy with a combination of glue, heat and cable ties to make sure the rear of Proguard leaves no gap to the underside of the Mudhugger. And I wouldn't worry about a gap at the front if it compromised the rear interface being snug. Actually, I'd probably seal the rear edge, but leave any gap at the front unsealed to allow any gunk that did make it through to drain out. I reckon that should prevent the issue you raise. At the mo, however, it remains merely a 'reckon'.

I have noticed another problem. Whilst I thought I went fast through mud and water before, the uglyhugger has enabled me to fearlessly go flat out through mud and water. So now, the front Mudhugger is insufficient and even with a full face, I end up with crap in my face. ??
I haven't bothered about front guards for years, but that's now happening too. Gah, now I'm very much hoping my shiny new Crud XL does a better job than your front guard!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I stuck a small strip of gaffa tape across the join on the inside to prevent anything coming though.

Sadly, that won't be possible on most FS bikes. Due to the linkage designs, the chain stay and the seat stay move different amounts as the suspension moves (as I discovered without thinking it through first with a previous experiment :) )

Ideally, the "lower" guard needs to attach to the chain stay and "float" ie, not touch the seat stay (so it doesn't rub as they move at different rates) and go on the outside of the mudhugger so dirt is funnelled from the mudhugger to the lower guard and out the bottom. I couldn't get a front race mudhugger to fit like that due to the curve, though there is a video on their website about using hot and cold water to reform one to a different profile, so I could try that. Next option is to just bung a couple of sheets of laminating plastic though the laminator to bond them together and make them stiff and just cut out a custom "invisible" lower guard ... (someone else, unfortunately can't remember who, mentioned that technique a few weeks ago)

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Sadly, that won't be possible on most FS bikes. Due to the linkage designs, the chain stay and the seat stay move different amounts as the suspension moves
You can probably tell, but both in my combo are mounted on the chain stay. (In my earlier reply, I was assuming that approach.) I've trimmed the front flick off the Proguard to stop it pinching behind the motor (it was creating a real clag point) and to prevent that rub you explain. So there's a bit of a gap to the chainstays, which is only an issue on the very claggiest of days, when pasty mud drives between the guards and tyres and some oozes out onto the top of the chain stays and, a little annoyingly, onto the chain guide. On such days however, the mud is slowing everything down, so I periodically stop to declag anyhows.

On other days, mudguard filth can emerge just above the chainstays, but it's below any pivots and the rear of the motor has no openings, so it doesn't bother me.

I did debate adding some kind of rubber flap at that spot, but too flexible and it may fold and snag; too firm and I could end up with an even worse rubbing surface. So I've parked that idea.

It seems however that you've been thinking about this even more than me, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On my Levo I used the Mudhugger FRX on the back cut down slightly...……….I am more concerned with protecting the bike than my backside etc! I spend most of my time standing on the pedals so don't suffer greatly from mud/water on my back. I have the option of adding another 100mm or so by attaching the extender if I am going to do more of an XC type ride in the wet, whee I am likely to be on the saddle more. To be honest I really do not like the mudhugger rear. I don't like the mounting method because there is a lot of swing weight on that mounting, and it does nothing to protect the lower seat tube and lower pivot bearings......and, yep...its ugly!!
I have fitted the FRX on the back of my wife's Cube Access as well...again with the option of adding the extender when needed.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I did the same thing, at about the same time as everyone else, once it got stupid muddy.

As a college professor once told somebody else, (not me) "great minds think alike."
20200125_151442.jpg

20200125_150643.jpg

This make for really sturdy fender.

The only thing that's gonna stop the leaves and crap from gathering around the chain guide … is to remove the chain guide, lol, I think:unsure:(ex nihilo, nihil fit). I did just this- removing the chain guide- but started dropping chains occasionally while I do stupid stuff. Now I cant just give up doing stupid stuff, so I put the guide back on.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I did just that, but started dropping chains occassionally doing stupid stuff.
Can you not make a zip tie "loop" around the chain a few inches back from the guide - fastened to the suspension linkage or something ? So the chain runs through the loop - but not restrictively and so the "loop" can move around a bit ? Then leaves being "conveyored" along the chain are knocked off by the loop before they jam into the chain guide ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Can you not make a zip tie "loop" around the chain a few inches back from the guide - fastened to the suspension linkage or something ? So the chain runs through the loop - but not restrictively and so the "loop" can move around a bit ? Then leaves being "conveyored" along the chain are knocked off by the loop before they jam into the chain guide ?
Maybe, truth told however, even with the mess I had jammed in there today, It didn't seem to hurt anything, and I plucked it all out easy enough right after the picture.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Maybe, truth told however, even with the mess I had jammed in there today, It didn't seem to hurt anything, and I plucked it all out easy enough right after the picture.

It has the advantage that you can claim you weren't just messing about - you were collecting leaves ..... :)

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
It has the advantage that you can claim you weren't just messing about - you were collecting leaves ..... :)
It was so bad out there today, that on the steep climbs, even the Shorty would just spin and spin, until I could go no more. I found that by riding just off the beaten path, where leaves still covered everything, I could keep going.

Note to self; leaves are better traction than sloppy clay, but they do collect.

Maybe later, I'll find an excuse to go put them back!

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Did the same thing at about the same time as everyone else once it got stupid muddy.

As a college professor once told somebody else, "great minds think alike."
View attachment 24975

View attachment 24976 This make for really sturdy fender.

The only thing that's gonna stop the leaves and crap from gathering around the chain guide ... is to remove the chain guide, lol, I think (ex nihilo, nihil fit). I did just that, but started dropping chains occassionally doing stupid stuff. Now I cant just give up doing stupid stuff, so I put the guide back on.

@MrTeno2U May I ask where you got the (what looks like neoprene) sleeve around the battery on your Trance?
Edit: not to worry... did some Googling and think I’ve found it.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ok .. So finally found some time to stick on a secondary "lower" mudguard to catch up the crap which the mudhugger so efficiently channels to the lower linkage/back of the motor area.

After playing around with various options which didn't seem to sit very well. I went with this for "prototype 1". Which will probably be tweaked and stay as the permanent solution.

Starting with a cheapo underseat clip on guard (this tapers, which means it fits up nicely between the upper linkage mechanism on a Kenevo):

guard1.jpg

Go all Blue Peter on it and remove the underseat clip section as that would make it too long. Trim a bit off the sides so it doesn't foul the chain/keep it symmetrical as it naturally tries to spring back into shape. Drill 4 holes. The fold lines on this one lined up perfectly with the limits for mounting zip ties, then I drilled with hole centres about 10mm apart.

Guard 2.jpg

Thread some zip ties through and lob it on there !

Guard 3.jpg

For that professional look :confused:, when testing, add some electrical tape so the plastic doesn't wear your paint off. Once you're decided where it's actually sitting, you might want to add some hellitape as the top part will move around as the suspension compresses.

Guard 4.jpg

Guard 5.jpg

I then bent the top "tongue" over, virtually back on itself, to form a curve - otherwise as the suspension compresses, the point of the tongue will jam into your seat tube. If I'd had some hellitape, I might have bent the whole thing further back so it sat behind the linkages - but it would rub the blue paint where it tapers to the linkages. I also stuck a length of electrical tape vertically on the seat tube in the "contact zone".

If you've got a 1.2/1.3 Kenevo, this is also a good time to stuff either some moto foam or a small piece of kitchen sponge in the bottom drive side linkage hole to stop crap getting into the motor housing.

Guard 6.jpg

After 10km's. Keep in mind that this area normally has a fist sized lump of compacted mud in here after about 2km's.

Guard 7.jpg

And after about 55km's :

Guard 8.jpg

It seems to work really well. The only problem so far is that under compression, it can move forward and catch on the next upper linkage. So it either needs bending so it stays in that forward position anyway, or trimming a couple of mm thinner at that point so it can spring back again and not get caught :

guard 9.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Good hack. If it does not last change the mudhugger rear for a mudhugger FRX plus extender. It protects the bike well and is more secure...especially if you drop the bike. It gives a little less rider protection though.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Product Image: View attachment 24675

Product name: Mudhugger Rear LARGE
Price paid: £30
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: Mudguards are ugly.. Bikes look simple and sleek. Once you adorn them with sticky out crap they loose their visual balance.

Unfortunately, when it's wet and muddy, that sleek bike gets covered in crap and all it's pretty little ,obscenely expensive, moving parts get crap in and wear faster. Plus, the rider gets covered in crap, unless you're sensible and slow down or do your best to avoid mud and wet. I'm dumb, I don't.

For me, I don't really like the bike overly covered in crap, though sometimes it's just unavoidable. I'm also not a fan of having a soaking wet arse and mud being thrown forwards over the bars, phone,display,laptop... everything ..

The mudhugger rear's already been pretty extensively reviewed.

Here is the "Medium" - previously the 29 :

210g, 640mm long and 140mm stays.

The latest addition to the range is the "Large" :

LARGE Rear Mudhugger

285g, 760mm long and 160mm stays.

Some people like the look, I'm not a fan .. Making something which was ugly even bigger makes it even uglier .. but if you're going to have ugly, you might as well have effective ugly !

I've attached it on top as intended, but having seen @MrTeno2U 's inverted fitting technique, I might swap it round and try that. If mounting your rear spoiler in a hanging fashion works for Koenigsegg, then maybe fixing my mudhugger on the underside will work for me.

Mr T's method with bonus zip tie bling.

So, the large .. well, it's - to quote "for the modern full suspension bikes that have low seat stay angles of 26 deg down to 22 deg. This is an extra long Hugger that is designed to be trimmed down to fit your bike perfectly. Think Specialized Turbo Levo, Kenevo, most Pivot, Nukeproof bikes, Santa Cruz, Lapierre and Yeti full suss bikes."

It's long enough to keep the rider dry and anyone else within 10 meters of the bike :)

Mine seems to have a twist in from transportation. I tried repeatedly holding it the other way but it always springs back twisted. I brought it into the house last night and it straightened itself out with the extra warmth. Unfortunately, it settle back into it's twisted shape once it had cooled back down to zero. So some more manipulation is required there.

Hellitape is supplied to protect your stays. It was too cold to apply it this morning and I was short on time, so that's a job for later.

Installed :

View attachment 24803

Then took it out for a quick ride in search of mud and water ..

A crap picture, but rode up here as fast as possible for 300 meters :

View attachment 24804

And after - hardly any forward spray and splash. Apart from the expected front splash, I was dry.

View attachment 24805

After some more mud .. good results .. Some crap is getting through to the lower linkage area, but no more than when I had the "mudhugger front" on the back. Ideally it still wants a second guard to stop that too.

View attachment 24806

Very good. At certain angles I wouldn’t even have spotted those mudguards.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles