Invisiframe for Rail

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Has anyone put an Invisiframe kit on their Rail, and which option did you pick?

The carbon 9.7 / 9.8 / 9.9 all have the same Invisiframe options... gloss, matt, or gloss & matt.

I called the bike store, and my Rail has just been delivered. I won’t be able to collect until Monday, as they want one of their senior techs to build / test rather than a ‘bike builder’. I’m going to pop in past tonight and have a look - but I don’t know which one of the above to pick.
I’d like to get it ordered ASAP so that it’s here for Monday, so I can get it fitted before riding.

Can’t wait to see it now ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got gloss on my black/red Rail 7 and it looks awesome.

It looks fiddly as fuck to fit though, how much would the shop charge to fit it?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The shop won’t fit it unfortunately. I could maybe take it somewhere else, but I quite enjoy that sort of thing.

I’m collecting on Monday evening, and won’t be able to ride it until the weekend - so will have 4 nights to fit the kit. I’m quite OCD, so will spend ages getting it spot on!!

I’ve been to see it, and about 85% of the frame is matt, so I think I’ll go with the matt one. It looks awesome straight out of the box... but also looks like it’ll scratch easy - so I think the invisiframe is a must.

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
Ive just fitted the gloss kit to my 7. Every piece fitted perfect. Took around 6 hours all together to fit and was strangely therapeutic...

3D04E225-3C12-4DAF-ABEA-830694D39382.jpeg

E8A49E07-8C6B-4BFF-BAD2-9F5B115E9F6C.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Ive just fitted the gloss kit to my 7. Every piece fitted perfect. Took around 6 hours all together to fit and was strangely therapeutic...

Nice job! I collect the bike tomorrow, and the invisiframe kit is due for delivery tomorrow too.
I figured I’d take my time, and do it over a couple of evenings.

Any tips?!

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
Soapy water, lots of soapy water and patience.
Exactly this. You can’t use too much soapy water. Wet the frame and the back of the sticker then move it to where you want then squeeze the water out.
I found that when getting edges to stick around the fiddly shaped bits wiping the water out from the centre with a microfibres cloth worked well, soaked up the last bits of water.

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
I also doubled up around possible rubbing areas. You get some duplicate bits and some small patches spare, well with the 7 kit you did anyway and the carbon kit should be fairly similar.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Both the Rail and the Invisiframe kit arrived today... so I made a start.
What a faff! Must’ve spent over 2 hours so far, and have done 2 lower chain stays, 1 upper chain stay, and the battery!
I’m glad I have 4 more evenings until the weekend - as I have a feeling I’ll be needing a lot more hours!!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I managed about 3 hours of Invisiframe-ing tonight... and am about 85% done. Just a few small bits to go around the motor area I think. Hopefully an hour tomorrow will finish it off.

I’ve had the bike clamped from the start, but had to turn it upside down to do the underside of the down tube.
I took the battery out to do this... and was genuinely surprised how light the frame is without wheels / battery.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
All done - apart from 2 bits that I can’t figure out where they go. “Tyre debris protection to in side left and right seat stays”.

Can anyone who has fitted / had this fitted point me to where this goes? The cutout shapes don’t look obvious (to me anyway!)

5BCD2014-791B-4380-8383-BB7259D37553.jpeg

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
From the description I would say inside the seat stay around this area? Where the tyre is closest to the frame? On the 7 kit it was all one piece the covered both sides and the piece between.

4D42F650-7F32-4980-98EB-AFF79D2B664E.png

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
From the description I would say inside the seat stay around this area? Where the tyre is closest to the frame? On the 7 kit it was all one piece the covered both sides and the piece between.

Thanks - I agree with your logic, but it doesn’t explain why there is a hole cut in one part... or why both parts are different?
The seat stay parts that cover the outside have a flap that would cover the inner bit where the tyre would pass.

Confused!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I emailed Invisiframe. They replied and said the description was a mistake, and that these bits are for the tyre area inside the chain stay.
One fitted fine, and the other needed a little bit snipped off - but that’s the job finally done.

Spent the rest of the evening setting my suspension, and then trying to tune these AXS gears as they sounded like a bag of spanners when under load.
Quite natty that you can fine tune them in each gear position.

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
I'm lucky. My LBS is around the corner from Shack Wrap. Shack picked my bike up from the shop before I'd even seen it, dropped it back off all wrapped ready to go. Amazing job. Frame forks and crank.

Growler

Oct 2, 2018
Chch, NZ
All done - apart from 2 bits that I can’t figure out where they go. “Tyre debris protection to in side left and right seat stays”.

Can anyone who has fitted / had this fitted point me to where this goes? The cutout shapes don’t look obvious (to me anyway!)

View attachment 24858
Is that print on paper a good reflection of the shape of the parts, obviously not to scale.

I am trying to get my hands on a outline guide. I own my own print shop with high end flatbed printers and cutters and would like to make my own if I can!

Any chance you could scan or take a photo of all the parts please, anyone?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Is that print on paper a good reflection of the shape of the parts, obviously not to scale.

I am trying to get my hands on a outline guide. I own my own print shop with high end flatbed printers and cutters and would like to make my own if I can!

Any chance you could scan or take a photo of all the parts please, anyone?

I scribbled all over each part once I fitted it so I knew it was done - and then chucked it in the bin when complete - sorry!

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
I still have my guide, the shapes bare a good resemblance but aren't exact. I don't think you could use it as an accurate way of replicating it.

Happy to send it over if you wish, however.

Growler

Oct 2, 2018
Chch, NZ
I still have my guide, the shapes bare a good resemblance but aren't exact. I don't think you could use it as an accurate way of replicating it.

Happy to send it over if you wish, however.

That would be awesome, will give me a start point to work from

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
For those familiar with invisiframe, would you recommend gloss or matte for a volt/teal rail 7?
Any idea what shipping times are to Canada?

Twlpyn

Jun 7, 2020
Llandeilo
i have the volt and teal and went with the gloss finish. I am really pleased and you can hardly tell its there.
not seen the matte finish so can’t comment on that. Gloss is the original paint finish on the bike if that helps.

Twlpyn

Jun 7, 2020
Llandeilo
Here‘s a link to a couple of images in my 1st post in the newbie section.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
That's very helpful, thanks!
If i get bike i think i'll order the invisiframe.

Ridewrap here in Canada was on option but they only have size L kits available (I'm XL).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles