Teaching your battery

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Is there a 'learning routine' for the Shimano battery?
Yesterday, after 25 miles and with two cells still showing on the display on my Canyon Spectral, the display switched to 'off' and cut the power with me still 10 miles from home. I turned the battery off then on again and two cells popped up and power resumed.
The same then happened when down to one cell with a re-boot restoring the power again.
I can find nothing in the manual so don't know if this is a fault or a failure on my part.

II have also posted this question on the Shimano motors forum.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I have noticed a difference on the power level indication of the leds on the battery and the display. Last ride there were two bars at the bat and only one at the display with a 3km range. The bike had stayed unused for two weeks and maybe this is what caused the wrong indication.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
When my battery gets below 20% I stop using Trail mode and only use Eco because I've also experienced shut-downs when under load at low remaining voltage levels (it's also happened on my Yamaha-powered ebikes). My theory: when the battery's low, it protects itself from high motor demand by shutting down.

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
Mine went down to 0 miles rapidly and shut down the other day, when I had a couple of miles and a big hill left to do.

I switched off and on then it came back showing 2 bars and I completed my ride fine.

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
I think that the value of range cheat a little, the best thing to do is when you only have 2 battery leds start thinking about returning home, knowing that you still have a few kms ahead, and use the eco more to make sure you don't run out of battery ? relative to the battery and engine I doubt he learns to recognize your turns, you’ll have to be aware of the kms and climbs you can do ?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I think that the value of range cheat a little, the best thing to do is when you only have 2 battery leds start thinking about returning home, knowing that you still have a few kms ahead, and use the eco more to make sure you don't run out of battery ? relative to the battery and engine I doubt he learns to recognize your turns, you’ll have to be aware of the kms and climbs you can do ?

Thanks, but my problem is nothing to do with battery management. Thirty five miles today and well down into the last cell. No problems or shutdowns.

Looks like the other ride was a glitch, hopefully a rare one.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
The Shimano battery display isn't linear and more like the top of an hour glass... big at the top and narrow at the bottom. So the last 2 bars, which equates to 40% of battery left, isn't 40% and more like 20% if not less.

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
The Shimano battery display isn't linear and more like the top of an hour glass... big at the top and narrow at the bottom. So the last 2 bars, which equates to 40% of battery left, isn't 40% and more like 20% if not less.

Agreed. I've found now it's colder it's even more unpredictable. On a recent ride one minute I'm showing 2 bars and10k range then half a mile later it shuts down whilst on eco mode. Didn't come back with power cycle either. I'm on an old firmware in order to use all features with Steps Unlocker or whatever its called now though so it may be different with the latest Shimano Firmware.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles