Washing a Rail

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I haven’t even ridden mine yet... but was wondering about the washing procedure.
I registered my Kiox with the Bosch app yesterday, and was having a look at the app. There are some articles on there, and one of them was about washing an emtb.

The guy from Bosch says you should take your battery off before washing. Does that not leave exposed contacts?
I thought it’d have been better to keep the big sealed battery in place? I only wash my bike with mains pressure, and usually on a sprinkle setting on my hose (not direct jet).

Any advice? Are you guys taking the battery off before washing, or leaving it on?
My bikes live indoors, so need to be pretty clean before coming in!
20mins with a hose, Muc Off, a couple of brushes and a dry with a towel is usually enough.

protowheeler

Sep 10, 2019
England
You can do whatever you want, just look for standing water in small spots. Maybe you have an air hose and you can blow out the excess water? Maybe don't blow water directly in the socket on the end of the battery?

WilkyWay

Dec 26, 2019
Durham UK
I always wash with the battery in place. The bike is designed to be exposed to mud, water etc when it’s being ridden so it seems common sense to me. I just don’t drown the motor and battery area with water when rinsing. Although there are videos of ebikes being ridden through rivers so it may not make any difference ??‍♂️

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Seems silly to expose contacts, when it’s all sealed when the battery is fitted.
I’m just going to hose carefully, then have a check behind the battery once I’ve dried it off.

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
I've washed mine multiple times as the weather is shocking. I normally get the hose on it as soon as I get back with the battery on the bike.

Clean as normal. Dry it down with a large microfiber cloth. Remove the battery and get the dirt out from battery cover. Dry it off and stick it in the house. I then dry the battery bay out - contacts and lock mechanism. I used a leaf blower the other day to blow all the settled water out. Seemed to do a good job.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
I do exactly the same. Take the battery out after a wash and there's a little water action inside which you can dry. I'm amazed how much water gets into the charge port as well, so I use my cordless blower all over the bike especially there and the brakes. After that I go for a road ride for a few minutes which includes some jumps to get the last bits or water out and out from the brake area.

When I'm washing, the hose is never on too hard, and I'm about a metre away from it except for the drivetrain. It's just to get the main grit off, I'm not after a showroom shine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles