Leaving Vitus due to CRC's poor customer service

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
I've loved owning my E-sommet 2018, its been reliable and I always planned on replacing it with the 2020 but have a constant fear of it going wrong knowing CRC are useless, so as good as the bike is I will be going with something from my LBS this time around (Merida eOne Sixty).

Anyone else not buying another Vitus just because of there poor customer service ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've loved owning my E-sommet 2018, its been reliable and I always planned on replacing it with the 2020 but have a constant fear of it going wrong knowing CRC are useless, so as good as the bike is I will be going with something from my LBS this time around (Merida eOne Sixty).
Makes zero sense to me

Buy another E-sommet instead. You'd then have a spare for.. .you know.. .that day when something might eventually go wrong.

The issue with the vitus is the motor. Not the bike, The Merida has the same motor. A new motor is around £8-900. The merida is way more than that differenece. Ie. you could buy a new motor when it goes and still be quids in. They're no more difficult to fit than technical lego.
The Vitus still has way better geometry, a better suspension design, is lighter and way cheaper.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Gary + Scottish = Tight

Tight + propose a second motor = Must be good Value.

It's actually not as mad as it sounds ... Maybe 8 Vitus owners can club together to buy an E8000 and be part of Vitus Motor Charity Support group and just send it off to whichever Vitus member needs it whilst theirs is being repaired.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Makes zero sense to me

Buy another E-sommet instead. You'd then have a spare for.. .you know.. .that day when something might eventually go wrong.

The issue with the vitus is the motor. Not the bike, The Merida has the same motor. A new motor is around £8-900. The merida is way more than that differenece. Ie. you could buy a new motor when it goes and still be quids in. They're no more difficult to fit than technical lego.
The Vitus still has way better geometry, a better suspension design, is lighter and way cheaper.

I secured a preety good deal on a new Merida 600 2019 and liked the test ride...cheaper than the base E-sommet 2020(frog shit) I was gonna buy, I'm counting on any issues been resolved fast with them been a local shop and a Shimano service centre.

Not sure what to do with the E-sommet, could even keep motor as a spare and sell rest off.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I have only ever experienced excellent customer service from CRC. Has it gone downhill since the purchase by Wiggle, implying because of the purchase by Wiggle?
Never had a customer service issue, but if I bought something from Wiggle & CRC on the same day I often recieved the item from CRC while the item from Wiggle had not even shipped yet.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
OK, but I think you are going a bit OTT - the motor on my Vitus went and it took 3 weeks for it to be replaced via my LBS - you do not have to warranty the Steps system through CRC, you can do it direct via LBS

There are plenty of threads on here about all the various brands and people having major delays on warranty work.

The reality is that minimising time without the bike if something happens is down to having a great LBS who can get on it.

Also Specialized are the only brand that let trusted dealers keep spare motors in stock for warranty work - this is why you see people with Levo's getting motors replaced same day by the likes of Berkshire Cycles. All the other brands have to be sent back to their service centres for analysis before any warranty is progressed.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
Well its done, bought the Merida, I smashed out 12 personal records today at Gisburn on my first ride, its the lower power E7000 motor and still restricted but I can corner a lot faster on it than the Vitus so it seems to have worked out the better bike....for me anyway.

Anyone wanna buy a E-sommet ? :D

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Well its done, bought the Merida, I smashed out 12 personal records today at Gisburn on my first ride, its the lower power E7000 motor and still restricted but I can corner a lot faster on it than the Vitus so it seems to have worked out the better bike....for me anyway.

different tyres, aye? ;)

Anyone wanna buy a E-sommet ? :D
mibbies. Is it a small?

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
They are Maxis DHR 2 which seemed really greasy but did get better as the ride went on, I usually use Michelin e-wilds and they will be going on tomorrow both sets are 2.8.

Its a XL unfortunately.

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
As has been said, CRC can save you a load of cash, why not put the difference aside and keep it as an insurance in case minor warrant pay issues crop up. yes if you have a terninal failure cracked frame etc.... use the warranty, other stuff, sort it yourself or use lbs and take it on the chin.
2 examples,
1) my Sentier battery location was a bit iffy from new, and had a habit of disconnecting on big hits, a lot of peeps would be on the phone to CRC and getting it packed up and not having a bike for a month or so...... sorted it myself ( worst case lbs fix)
2) my mates forks were leaking oil out of the rebound adjuster, (2nd ride) he wasn’t happy and the forks went back to CRC on his principle “ why should I fix it”......6 weeks later and loads of calls they were sorted. He had saved £1500 on the bike, but in principle wouldn’t sort it himself, so suffered the stress and lack of bike for 6 weeks.
you decide the best way.....?????
Think of it from CRC’s side, they must get hundreds of people trying it on with bogus warranty claims, and they need to get it right or suffer unnecessary losses, people who haven’t a clue messing with bikes and damaging them, then trying the warranty route.
Another friend of a friend was about to do the warranty route with his gears going out, he had f*****ed on with them adjusting everything possible making things worse, took a look at them and it was a damaged cable....simple fix.... well it was before he attacked the mech with a screw driver, you can’t expect supplier to pay for that, then it gets messy.....
Basically, I dread the thought of having to go back to CRC with a claim for something major, but I reckon it’s worth the risk.
your choice ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Poulton-Le-Fylde (Near Blackpool) but I do travel about a bit.

You're probably not far from @Wheelie_King

I lived at 1A brocklewood avenue during some part of my childhood. Google has it marked in the wrong place. Looking on streetview, from the pile of crap outside the real one, I'd guess the "games room" has had it's flat roof replaced .. again .. Used to make soap box carts and race down the hill ..

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
I had my control unit fail within a few weeks of ownership, I replaced it myself then got in contact with CRC who did refund me, it took a bit of time and a lot of back and forth but it was sorted eventually.

Like I say I liked my E-sommet that much I had always planned on buying the 2020 but of course would prefer to buy from a shop where I can have some quick face to face interaction if something goes wrong, as has been said Vitus give's you a saving but also takes that face to face away.

The E-sommet is £3200, I got the Merida for less than that, I can have my face to face interaction if anything goes wrong AND I'm faster on it so its a no brainer, though I would have never even looked around and just bought the E-sommet if CRC were quick to sort out issues.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.

I lived at 1A brocklewood avenue during some part of my childhood. Google has it marked in the wrong place. Looking on streetview, from the pile of crap outside the real one, I'd guess the "games room" has had it's flat roof replaced .. again .. Used to make soap box carts and race down the hill ..

I am around the corner near Carr head school, love overtaking the roadies going up that hill :ROFLMAO:

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)

Are you still local Mr Zimmerman?

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
No, Northern France, so quite a way away. Not been back to that area for maybe 15 years ? How the time fly's ! Went back for a Lytham Club day .. very messy :)

Can't believe you and @inwoods met each other on a ride yesterday without even realising who you were :) The odds must be astronomical !

I mentioned to him yesterday I was considering the Levo before I bought the Merida and just noticed I posted in his thread at the time asking where he was buying from, a thread I never woulda gone back to if it hadn't of been for you a guy who grew up around the corner from me directed me too, awesome.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The E-sommet is £3200, I got the Merida for less than that, I can have my face to face interaction if anything goes wrong AND I'm faster on it so its a no brainer
I find it really interesting that you're faster on the Merida. Especially considering the suspension is far superior on the Vitus than the 600 and the E7000 is gutless in comparison to the Vitus with E8000 (the main reasons the Merida is so cheap). What do you think it is about the bike that has made you faster?
Sizing and geometry is quite different between the two so I suppose this could be a factor. Also I've absolutely no idea what terrain/trails are like at Gisburn. I can't imagine the geometry or suspension being a faster descender anywhere I ride and it definitely won't climb as quickly with the lower torque E7000 motor (I've owned and ridden E8000 and E7000s and regretted even having the E7000 - it died within less than 800 miles)

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
I've always been real slow on corners, I could never really get the back end to come out and whip around on the Vitus like I have watched others do, its almost too stable at the back, on the Merida I can, also I can get behind the seat quicker and easier on the Merida for drops.

The front on the Vitus feels almost to outstretched, there are 2 or 3 sharpish turns on a section I had been sessioning a few weeks ago and I just couldn't carry any speed through them at all, almost stopping some runs, on the Merida I was able to carry a lot more speed.

The Vitus is only 9mm longer than the Merida, is that enough to make it a size issue and the Vitus was too long for me ? I would of thought no 9mm is nothing but maybe I am wrong, a large would have been too small I know that much.

The motor was something I wasn't sure on but I find the E7000 easier on the uphill techy sessions where I would struggle with the E8000 almost having too much jolt but did crave that power back when it got to fire road climbs.

The suspension I was planning on swapping over especially hearing the Suntour forks they make some loud noises but the steerer tube is too short on the Rockshox, I may upgrade these in the future.

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
After a few hours at Gisburn today I was starting to really gel with the Merida, I got 8 more personal records and knocked 9 seconds off my best time on the first half of the hope line (55 seconds) securing KOM o_O

I'm not gonna bang on about it anymore in here it is the Vitus section after all but I would recommend anyone looking at the Vitus to check them out.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
After a few hours at Gisburn today I was starting to really gel with the Merida, I got 8 more personal records and knocked 9 seconds off my best time on the first half of the hope line (55 seconds) securing KOM o_O

I'm not gonna bang on about it anymore in here it is the Vitus section after all but I would recommend anyone looking at the Vitus to check them out.
I'm in the same boat. Along with about another 6 or 7 in our club. The worst customer service ever ... and yes there is something wrong with the bike. There is OBVIOUSLY something wrong with the bike. So many issues with the motor and just worst customer service I have ever experienced. So not only can I not recommend the Vitus E-sommet, I'd strongly recommend never buying a product like an ebike from them.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
OK, but I think you are going a bit OTT - the motor on my Vitus went and it took 3 weeks for it to be replaced via my LBS - you do not have to warranty the Steps system through CRC, you can do it direct via LBS

There are plenty of threads on here about all the various brands and people having major delays on warranty work.

The reality is that minimising time without the bike if something happens is down to having a great LBS who can get on it.

Also Specialized are the only brand that let trusted dealers keep spare motors in stock for warranty work - this is why you see people with Levo's getting motors replaced same day by the likes of Berkshire Cycles. All the other brands have to be sent back to their service centres for analysis before any warranty is progressed.
He's not going OTT at all .... in fact I can't believe what I'm reading? Of course he can go to his local bike shop, we get that. But that's not the point. The point is the ONLY way you're going to get a decent service is to go via your LBS and the CRC are off the hook!

I'm sorry but CRC are taking the p**s. The frame design is flawed with the open top to the motor and the cable outing at the motor is dreadful. They need to be called out in it and resolve the issues or you boycott them. I mean the best part if £4k for a bike you'd expect more.

Awful customer service .... DO NOT BUY THE E-SOMMET.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles