Guided Ride, Sherwood Pines Sun 20th Oct

Hinett

Mar 24, 2018
Derbyshire
I know it's not on the list but I'll have "let down" as I cant make it now ☹. I've got my house up for sale and have now got 2 viewings booked in for sunday.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm on hols in Mid-Wales with my extended family right now, intermittent and low speed internet connection. I can't even find a simple brush to clean my bike with, but I could have bought a Soviet great coat and hat, or a US woodland pattern camouflage uniform, trench diggers, plastic spades in a variety of colours, Welsh gin.............. and the misery goes on, but the rain is warm and I've seen some bottle-nosed dolphins! :love:. And today I bought a new folding saw because my others are blunt. I'm now happy. :giggle:

PS: The natives are friendly. :)

Hinett

Mar 24, 2018
Derbyshire
Just a heads up guys, sherwood pines has there forestry 100 10k race on tomorrow, car park will be very busy and don't know if it will impact on any of the planned off piste routes.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just a heads up guys, sherwood pines has there forestry 100 10k race on tomorrow, car park will be very busy and don't know if it will impact on any of the planned off piste routes.
Well spotted Hinett: I never remember to look. Yes the car park will be busier than usual, but I doubt it will be full, so there will still be plenty of space to park, maybe not as close as you would like, but we have a bike!!! :)

Occasionally, the race marshalls block the trail we want but there is always a way around. When I've been before on race days, we are usually setting off before the race commences, so we seldom get held up.

The worst days are car rally days, every single road I want to cross or ride up has high speed lunatics tearing up the gravel. That is when I don't bother going.

jonnie brads

Jan 29, 2019
Wakefield
I'm sure I will be ridiculed on the next ride out but I'm afraid I can't make tomorrow neither. No I haven't been shouted out through the CCTV again ? but it's bike drama this time ? speed sensor could be toast ?. I really am sorry boys and can only hope I have not burnt my bridges with @steve_sordy and he lets me join the next one. Take care tomorrow stay safe

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
After a late fitness test on my dodgy shoulder, I will be joining the band of merry men in the forest. Someone once told me that if you get lost in Sherwood, just follow the arrows......

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
We are eight once more! :love:
That is a perfect number
Me on a stretcher, two stretcher bearers, three to push back two bikes each, and two spare stretcher bearers! :LOL:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It is better than anything you may find near Lincoln. And if you do find something, let me know!

The red trail at Sherwood Pines is 10 miles from carpark and back. The Blue trail is 7 miles long and gets very close to the red at key points, so you can cross over half way and do both.

They both require a lot of pedalling because the elevation difference is not high, no more than 100m for the red. But you will do that 100m many times! The red is better the faster you go. It meets the definition of a red (the trail designer will give you a bloody good argument on that one), but it is one of the easier reds technically.

Make sure that when you get to post 11 on the red that you divert to the Bike Park and the Dirt Jump area. They are next to each other. When you get to the picnic table (smashed!), the DJ is left and the BP is right. When you have had enough of those, return to the picnic table and turn left up the gravel road. About 300 yards further on there is a X-roads, about 30 yards after that on the left is a sign for Tornado Alley. You have rejoined the red and only lost a few hundred yards.

There is an amazing amount of good off-piste hidden away at Sherwood Pines, but you are unlikely to find it on a day trip.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Here we go!
Some dropped out and some stepped up, but still ending up with eight riders! Yey! :)

The weather was almost fairytale for October. Blue sky and sunshine! We got very slightly rained on at about 2pm but not for long.

I'm sorry I can't remember your name but we all know who you are! The guy with the beard dressed in black with a red backpack. You did the most amazing recovery from a potentially serious fall that I have ever seen. Steep descent, going over the bars - with a certain 12'-15' vertical drop ahead of you. Then you just straightened up and let the bike pass between your legs. With the bike tumbling its way down the slope, scattering the watchers as it went, you landed upright on a steep slope with one leg straight out in front and one leg bent under you and coasted down to the bottom! Astonishing! We all saw it but no photos!!!!!!!!!!

I did just over 18 miles and ended with 1 mile of range left in Eco. I know that many rode further because of the sessioning they did in the Bike Park, the Dirt Jump area and the Four Gulleys.
Team pic at the Fishbowl: (MyApes is behind the camera)
Team Pic.jpg

If you look carefully, you can see my fairy princess ponytail bar ends! (Imported from Wales, so they are the real deal).

I won't show the team in the same places as last time, to give a bit of variety. This descent is about 40' down a loose angled slope into the old rail bed. It has two sandstone ledges, the first one generates a 2' drop, the last one is 9' (I measured it) if you go the wrong side of the birch tree. That is best avoided as the drop is full of brambles, although the signs are still there from the last outing where one guy (118 I think) did his best to ride it out ................and succeeded! (y) I gave lots of warnings about this descent because it is harder than it looks, you can't see the worst bits from the top.
Here is Tunny , making it look easy! I claim the credit because I gave the briefing! :)
Tunny at Harrys drop.jpg

And MyApes, also making it look easy! I had trained him up on previous outings. :giggle:
MyApes survives.jpg

The rest of us, not so much! Here is one example: That first ledge caught him out.
JetSet Demo falls.jpg

And another: Ditto.
Outrigger.jpg

We also called in at the Dirt Jump area. Here is Tunny succeeding at a gap jump, although mid way he was so convinced he was not going to make it I definitely heard him squeak! :LOL:
Tunny's gap jump.jpg

Great day out, great bunch of guys! :love:

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Thanks again Steve, thoroughly enjoyed the day again, and it was nice to see some new faces. Not that the 'missing' other ones were that bad.. :LOL:

Rob was the balletic rider whose stunning dismount, was missing by everyones cameras, however some things never leave you do they..(y)

@ilsonmd12 - Your fitness will improve for sure. Good to see you riding today fella..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yikes! I had stricken that from my mind! That is the first time I have ridden the top bit, previously I had bottled it. Many thanks to Tunny for spotting a better line than I had been considering. It was still hard to get going as it was so steep. Even with the saddle right down I couldn't just sit on it and go. I had to rise up on the pedals and then sit, all in the fraction of a second before the bike went over the drop!
That fall caught me completely unawares, it all looked very straight forward; steep, but not technical. I was nearly home! I was told the the front wheel washed out and me with it. I ended up face down in a bramble-filled hole, head lower than my feet! :eek:
By the time I had turned over and around I was properly tangled up, hence all the thrashing of the shrubbery.:LOL:
Thanks for capturing that @ilsonmd12 :)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles