Chain Life

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As an FYI i got 90 miles out of my KMC X11e before it blew a link. I fixed it with a quick link and it has now done another 200 odd miles with no problems, but the lesson i learnt on it is that it doesn't like powershifting under load. Its running on 11 speed XT, Shimano e8000 system.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm at about 500 miles on my Shimano HG600 chain on the Trek. It's still under 0.75 wear and it's been ridden pretty hard in some pretty shitty conditions.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Mounty, would you be so kind as to link me to a few items from your bike?

Best Chain replacement.
Pedals
Mud Guards
Rear Triangle Protectors

What bike do you have? Carbon Comp/Expert/SWorks
Do you have any other interesting / useful accessories :)

Hello,
My bike is the carbon expert I used lizard skins to protect the rear triangle as I found on my first levo my legs scuff up the paint. I also use a front fender upside down to help keep the dirt off the back end of the bike. My pedals are magnesium and are not very good so I would not recommend them. I have a thread where I asked others for their suggestions on pedals there is some great info in there.
Chain well I haven’t found a good one yet I just installed the SRAM xx1 well see how that goes.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
As an FYI i got 90 miles out of my KMC X11e before it blew a link. I fixed it with a quick link and it has now done another 200 odd miles with no problems, but the lesson i learnt on it is that it doesn't like powershifting under load. Its running on 11 speed XT, Shimano e8000 system.

Mine didn’t break just stretched out by 185 miles. Was pulsing for the last ride I don’t think I’ll buy another one. So for the new SRAM shifts better not sure how long it will last.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Any chance you can do a post on Di2 install as I’ve been thinking of doing this this winter.

Cheers
Sorry, I’m not much help re Di2 install. My bike came with it installed.
I had it fitted to my wife’s bike ( Merida E120 800) by the suppliers mechanic. It was his first Di2 install and he said he had a hell of a job so good luck.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I got 700kms out of the stock KMC chain on my Levo. They were easy commuting miles though. No off road! Cleaned and oiled after every ride also. I weigh 87kg and wear a 11kg backpack while riding.
Wow, what do you carry in your back pack that makes it weigh 11kgs? A spare a analogue bike?

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
I've posted before, my comp carbon 2018, got 3,000+ from first chain replaced with Sram same as stock ( could not notice any difference or improvement with new chain on ) now have just over 3,400km total on the bike, it shifts good. I did a 50km group ride yesterday. and with the new update 23 firmware and the infinity tune, the 3.0 x 27.5" ground control tyres. the bike is magic to ride. another rider that has always been all peddle just got a new Trek with E motor FSR he rides at a slower pace but loves the bike, I noticed it has very very low gearing, the crank Sproket was so small I could not see the teeth ( might be single track model? ). I'm still in love with my levo & since last service the ride is perfect fast over rough surface.
who know's why my chain lasted? I take bike to LBS they check the chain, I just keep it clean and lubricate with Rock N Roll Gold as thats what LBS recommended . I've not ever broken a chain yet. I average around 20km per hour ( like a 40km ride takes 2 hours )

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
I've posted before, my comp carbon 2018, got 3,000+ from first chain replaced with Sram same as stock ( could not notice any difference or improvement with new chain on ) now have just over 3,400km total on the bike, it shifts good. I did a 50km group ride yesterday. and with the new update 23 firmware and the infinity tune, the 3.0 x 27.5" ground control tyres. the bike is magic to ride. another rider that has always been all peddle just got a new Trek with E motor FSR he rides at a slower pace but loves the bike, I noticed it has very very low gearing, the crank Sproket was so small I could not see the teeth ( might be single track model? ). I'm still in love with my levo & since last service the ride is perfect fast over rough surface.
who know's why my chain lasted? I take bike to LBS they check the chain, I just keep it clean and lubricate with Rock N Roll Gold as thats what LBS recommended . I've not ever broken a chain yet. I average around 20km per hour ( like a 40km ride takes 2 hours )
Wow that’s fantastic k’s out of a chain, I thought I did well to get 2000.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I'm running two chains (the cheapest SRAM PC1110) and swapping them at 1000km. The first one has 1000km (nowhere near to 0.5% stretch) the second one has 800 and no stretch. I think they should last at least 2000km. I'm easy on the drivetrain, always cleaned and lubed and I'm avoiding shifting under load.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Well I just fitted mine and it's slipping in the small gears, mabe have to take more links to add tension
If a new chain slips , it’s usually due to worn teeth on the cassette or chainrings , how worn was your old chain , don’t shorten the chain any more than the original . The tension screw on the durailure is worth checking for the correct tension setting .
I have just cost myself a new front ring on my hardtail because I forgot to replace the chain

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Already took a couple more links and slipping on a specific gear, I'll try and tune it out but rekon a new cassette is needed, what y'all running?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Running stock still, I had a similar issue and it was a cheap fix rear de hanger I’ve gone through three so far.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Got a new KMC X9-SL Gold at -60%. Still using the old chain because my smallest cog is too cooked already and I'm slipping with the new chain.
I don't have an odometer but I commuted with it every work days for 3 months and I push hard on that last gear. Might not have cleaned the chainrings/cassette/chain well enough. I'm a such a noob, but it gets better.

Too bad because my bike was sexy with that chain.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Yep,I will not be buying another one! They are diffidently junk!
Update on the SRAM PC XX1 with hollow pins. I’m at 250kms with a really muddy last ride and the chain measures like new no visible stretch. I won’t get to excited but it is only 50kms behind the KMC ebike chain now and the KMC was on its last legs at 250kms. I’ll keep you posted. Also shifting is really good still.
Question what lube is everyone using dry or wet? I switched to wet for this chain as well.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Update on the SRAM PC XX1 with hollow pins. I’m at 250kms with a really muddy last ride and the chain measures like new no visible stretch. I won’t get to excited but it is only 50kms behind the KMC ebike chain now and the KMC was on its last legs at 250kms. I’ll keep you posted. Also shifting is really good still.
Question what lube is everyone using dry or wet? I switched to wet for this chain as well.
Great, keep us updated.
I uses wax based lube for wet and dry conditions.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
@Mountie So how the XX1 chain hold up so far? I have to replace chain and considering beween X1 and XX1. XX1 is 1,3x more expensive here, so how about increased durability? Thanks.
Still going strong I’d say it is about half worn but the nice thing is that it still shifts very well. No chain breaks and a coupe of very muddy rides. I’ll update the mileage soon.

Mileage is 490kms and still going heading out for a couple of hours as soon as the suns up.

Last edited:

Rich_F21316

Oct 6, 2018
DORSET, United Kingdom
I've just been reading through this thread and wondering if its worth keeping 2 chains on the go? one soaking in cleaner and one on the bike, swapping them each time a clean is needed? my theory goes that the cassette and front ring will last longer if the chains are taking longer to stretch?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I've just been reading through this thread and wondering if its worth keeping 2 chains on the go? one soaking in cleaner and one on the bike, swapping them each time a clean is needed? my theory goes that the cassette and front ring will last longer if the chains are taking longer to stretch?

Might not be a bad idea, maybe give it a go and if you can track mileage of chains it would pretty informative.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think your better off keeping the same chain on the bike , using a chain cleaner and checking regularly with a chain gauge , replacing it as soon as it gets to .75 wear . Is the most important thing
A decent on the bike chain cleaner gets the chain cleaner than soaking it , plus you clean the cassette etc at the same time .
We get way more than 2 chains per cassette on normal bikes using this method, there’s no reason that shouldn’t apply to ebikes .
cycling 2 chains without using a wear guage then replacing the lot when it’s worn out is simply a guarantee to only get 2 chains per cassette and front ring apart from the faff it’s also costing joiner links if you replace as advised

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I do use wax where I initially clean my chain in a ultrasound cleaner and then afterwards melt my secret formula wax with the very clean chain inside for 30 minutes. It’s a bit extra work but I have 2 chains for my Levo and preparing one while riding with the other. Using this type of waxing the chain means that no dirt stick to it - this is how my chain looks after 100 km of wet dirty riding:
A2C08CF1-B78C-4B0B-9C35-E481C1307349.jpeg

I’m on 300 km with each chain and no measurable wear so far.

My cleaning and lubing kit:

231B9999-FC15-4A58-AB83-4B91F316B7D4.jpeg

Karsten

Rich_F21316

Oct 6, 2018
DORSET, United Kingdom
I do use wax where I initially clean my chain in a ultrasound cleaner and then afterwards melt my secret formula wax with the very clean chain inside for 30 minutes. It’s a bit extra work but I have 2 chains for my Levo and preparing one while riding with the other. Using this type of waxing the chain means that no dirt stick to it - this is how my chain looks after 100 km of wet dirty riding:

Karsten
wow, that's impressive! Never heard of ultrasound used like this before, I've just watched a couple of youtube vids and its amazing!! how much does a unit like yours cost? and you cannot mention a secret wax formula without letting us in on the secret? :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
View attachment 6002

View attachment 6003

Karsten

Unknown-22.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles