Chain Life

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Thought I’d share my experience with the new KMC ebike specific chain, ah don’t bother.

Stock KMC that came with my 18 Levo Expert lasted 408kms no breaks just shown as .75 worn and replaced. KMC ebike specific chain shows worn out .75 at 299kms. Both chains were cleaned and lubed every ride if anything the ebike chain had more care and attention. Next up , bought the SRAM PC XX1 let’s see how long this one lasts. The cassette still looks good.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Question, how many links are you guys using on your Levos. Most of the chains I’m seeing only have 118 links and they from what I can see are two short.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
I managed to get 2000k’s out of my original KMC x11e chain. Mostly firebreak type riding but at least 500k on single track. I make sure I clean and lube after every ride, probably helps I’m only 74kg.
Just fitted a new chain so will see how long it lasts.
Parts are very expensive here in NZ, chains, tires etc so I order online from Germany.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
6ft 100 kgs here, probably doesn’t help my case lol. Can I ask what chain you fitted Bonz and also what shape is your cassette in after 2k? Thats some good mileage.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
6ft 100 kgs here, probably doesn’t help my case lol. Can I ask what chain you fitted Bonz and also what shape is your cassette in after 2k? Thats some good mileage.
Fitted new KMC x11e, same as chain supplied on new bike. Cassette is still in good nick.
I’m not a super aggressive rider which also helps. Tend to ease up a little when shifting cogs.
Being a little fella certainly seems to help a bit with ware and tear.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I managed to get 2000k’s out of my original KMC x11e chain. Mostly firebreak type riding but at least 500k on single track. I make sure I clean and lube after every ride, probably helps I’m only 74kg.
Just fitted a new chain so will see how long it lasts.
Parts are very expensive here in NZ, chains, tires etc so I order online from Germany.

That is very good mileage @Bonz ?
I am 74kg all kitted up and I thought my 600km was good ?
What percentage of Eco, Trail and Turbo does every one use on a typical ride? Maybe that could be a factor?
If I could get 2000km out of one chain I would be a very happy bunny.
I will be very interested to see what you get out of your newly fitted chain.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
That’s great info thank you I think that will be my next chain. Cheers Outerlimits
I’d be interested to know how you get on with the XX1. SRAM say it is 4 times more wear resistance than the x1. It does however have hollow pins, so wonder how strong it is compared to the x1.
X1 $60 AUD
Xx1 $90 AUD
But is it strong enough for an eMtb?

Currently running the SRAM PC1130 $35 AUD
It is horrid... they say compatible, but it’s so noisey and shifts crap.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
That is very good mileage @Bonz ?
I am 74kg all kitted up and I thought my 600km was good ?
What percentage of Eco, Trail and Turbo does every one use on a typical ride? Maybe that could be a factor?
If I could get 2000km out of one chain I would be a very happy bunny.
I will be very interested to see what you get out of your newly fitted chain.
I would probably ride about 50% Eco, 40% Trail, 5% Boost and 5% Off on my Merida. I also have Di2 which may help with smoother changes.
Would be interested to hear more about Shimano and SRAM Ebike specific chains.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Rode a quick 6 kms in the pc xx1 it seems solid enough I can tell you it is the quietest of the chains I’ve tried so far and it shifts the quickest by far takes a lot less lever pressure to. I could only find the 118 link version it’s a full link smaller than the other two chains I’ve run. I popped over a couple small jumps suspension isn’t binding so all seems good for now.

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
I would probably ride about 50% Eco, 40% Trail, 5% Boost and 5% Off on my Merida. I also have Di2 which may help with smoother changes.
I have the 116 link Shimano CH-HG901-11 ebike chain on my Levo right now. Its noiser than the KMC chain and does not shift as smooth as the KMC either. We will see how long it lasts!

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Rode a quick 6 kms in the pc xx1 it seems solid enough I can tell you it is the quietest of the chains I’ve tried so far and it shifts the quickest by far takes a lot less lever pressure to. I could only find the 118 link version it’s a full link smaller than the other two chains I’ve run. I popped over a couple small jumps suspension isn’t binding so all seems good for now.
I think I’m using 116 links on my SRAM PC X1 but will need to double check and get back to you
I am using a 118 link chain on my Large Levo and had to remove 2 links for a correct fit.

246F2987-056A-46F7-A887-7E0E602FCCC6.jpeg

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Any chance you can do a post on Di2 install as I’ve been thinking of doing this this winter.

Cheers

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
That’s great news I have a large Levo also and have run the 118 I was worried as this was two View attachment 2582 links shorter than the original factory chain, guess that may of helped the premature wear?

What size front chain ring are you running as this will have an affect on chain length. I’m running a 32 but have a 10-42 XX1 cassette fitted.
Could you possibly take the same photo with the chain on the smallest cog of the cassette? That will give you an indication if your chain is too short or too long or just right ?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Sto
What size front chain ring are you running as this will have an affect on chain length. I’m running a 32 but have a 10-42 XX1 cassette fitted.
Could you possibly take the same photo with the chain on the smallest cog of the cassette? That will give you an indication if your chain is too short or too long or just right ?

Stock front steel 32 rear 10-42 sram xg 1175

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Here you go

E5F933D4-C032-4ACD-B7AE-950DD9AABD7F.jpeg

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
Question, how many links are you guys using on your Levos. Most of the chains I’m seeing only have 118 links and they from what I can see are two short.
Im on a Giant SX and bought a KMC 118 link ebike proteq chain but it shorter than original by 2 links. Haven't used it yet. Couldn't see longer than 118.

Bloody expensive chain so looking forward to this forum identifying what's best VFM.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Im on a Giant SX and bought a KMC 118 link ebike proteq chain but it shorter than original by 2 links. Haven't used it yet. Couldn't see longer than 118.

Bloody expensive chain so looking forward to this forum identifying what's best VFM.

I hate to tell you but that’s the one that only lasted 300kms with me and was stretched out to .75

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles