Whyte e-mtb

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
From what I saw the battery is a bit of a PITA to remove, I wonder if it can run a Bosch extender, which a lot of the 2020 bikes with the Gen 4 motor seem to be offering
The battery is a bit "fiddly" to remove, a mechanic in my LBS showed me, the bike has to be lifted a few inches to make space for it to slide out, there are two electrical connections and a couple of screws to remove.
Might be a bit tricky out on the trail.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Agreed it looks a PITA. I work away every week so need to find hotels who don’t mind a bit of impromptu bike storage!

It looks like some of the cables could be protected a bit better to cope with battery removal. Will reserve judgment until mine is delivered.

Travelodge at BPW is awesome for storing bikes in your room :ROFLMAO:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup, I actually removed the battery when I tested the bike, and it took me and the mechanic a little while to do it - my conclusion (I posted pics earlier in the thread of the wiring) was that its not something you would want to do on a regular basis, and that's why I ended up not buying the bike.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Yup, I actually removed the battery when I tested the bike, and it took me and the mechanic a little while to do it - my conclusion (I posted pics earlier in the thread of the wiring) was that its not something you would want to do on a regular basis, and that's why I ended up not buying the bike.
Yep I’m now looking at weight and or ease of removal of the battery as I still want to use my inno multi fork bike rack carrier which is rated at 23kg when putting it inside my R estate(can’t have tow bar) isn’t an option,now looking at direct to consumer bikes now?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Surely front wheel off and in the boot will work?
Yes buddy when I’m one my own or two of us but my wife and children go with me sometimes and they do the blues,the youngest bike goes in the boot the rest on the roof,I suppose I could take my hard tail but that wouldn’t be so fun?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Just back and full of KFC.

I rode the e150S first, I wanted to ride the RS but they didn't have a medium with them, so I had to slum it. I only got an hour so chucked it down some of the closer steep stuff by the Cycle Centre. It's better down than my Trek but worse on the way up, that'll be the shorter chainstays at work. The steering was a bit sketchy but I'm putting that down the the WTB Vigilante (which I've never liked).
Managed to snap the chain on Furry Muff, which was a pain in the arse but I managed to get a tow back.
I then made a nuisance of myself until they gave me the e180RS to play on. :D
Ooh, I like this one...
The coil was too soft for my lardy arse but even so it was super poppy and lovely and plush and allowed me to carry more speed pretty much everywhere.

I would have liked longer on both bikes, I only got an hour on each, but based on that I'd buy an e180RS if my numbers come up.

The motor. Hmm. It's quieter than the old one, but louder than the Brose. It's a higher pitch than the outgoing motor but the three bikes I was out with all sounded different. The e150S had a high pitched whine, the e150RS had the high pitch wine at all cadences but a deeper whine if you over-revved it as well, like a Brose and the e180 had an odd rumbling noise at all cadences and if it was mine I'd be looking for a new motor. :(
It's quieter than any of the e8000s I've ridden/ridden with.
Didn't really get much of a chance to pedal it over the cut-off so can't comment on that.
It seemed more efficient than the outgoing motor, so combined with the bigger battery so see a useful increase in range.

Also, some good news; the battery is 626Wh.
IMG_0221.JPG

Last edited:

steveo

Jul 20, 2019
Ka15hy
How was they for pedal strikes ? That is one thing that would worry me if you were doing a lot of rocky techy climb's with the low bottom bracket.

Sam E180

Aug 20, 2019
Barnsley
Cheers for the write up Doomanic ? I’m a winch and plummet kind of guy so I’m glad I went for the e180. Just need a date for delivery.... LBS has been asking Whyte who don’t know yet!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
December if you're lucky, January if you're not.

Have your LBS actually ordered one? They have sold out of the first 5 shipments of all eBikes...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Just remembered; the Code RSCs on the e180 were ring-piece puckeringly shite. The bike had only done a couple of hundred miles and I had to adjust the levers all the way out to get any bite at all and there was very little modulation, it seemed to be all or nothing. The Guide GEs on the e150S were better, but I prefer my Shimano 4 pots.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Just remembered; the Code RSCs on the e180 were ring-piece puckeringly shite. The bike had only done a couple of hundred miles and I had to adjust the levers all the way out to get any bite at all and there was very little modulation, it seemed to be all or nothing. The Guide GEs on the e150S were better, but I prefer my Shimano 4 pots.
Strange that because my friend has rsc’s and I have the simpler just code r’s although not on emtb’s but I prefer the feeling of my non swing link levers,maybe they were a duff set.

Last edited:

raymondo

Jan 17, 2019
Sussex
Well amazingly I still haven’t got mine out the dealer yet, one of the first in the country and I have yet to turn a pedal on it.
Forks had to be rebuilt and a few other niggles. I’m actually picking it up on Tuesday?

Jezzer

Oct 25, 2018
Hampshire
To start with I am no Pro rider! I have ridden a few emtbs but am no bike tester!

Here are some observations I made during a few demo rides at Moors Valley today with Whyte. Couldn’t ride a 150rs but rode the s. I’m right on the cusp between a Med and a Large. Having ridden both, I felt that I was more in tune with the Med and more in in than just on it. The Large felt fine and ride was good, I just want as quite in tune with it. Like all bikes I needed to tune suspension and tyres more but as a base, it was good.

Got the odd pedal strike but if you have a low centre then that’s the compromise! You can always put shorter cranks on!

Coming from a Levo, I didn’t notice any increase in noise that was much different from the Levo’s Brose. Possibly a slight pitch difference but certainly not enough to make me say no!
I liked EMTB mode and it seems to be smooth and cope with everything I threw at it! Only briefly rode the last Bosch on a Trek and it’s quieter, smoother and no issues with it.
Yes battery is more difficult to remove but it’s a 2 min job as opposed to a 1 min job. Not a real problem for me as only took the Levo battery out once. And with a bash guard on it, it was a mare getting the bolt to marry up so probably would take the same.
Battery lasted all day with people riding 45-55 min per hour all day I guess. 6 or 7 sessions I guess looking at their timetable sheet! I could be wrong but that’s what it looked like!

Without getting into a debate about wheel size and tyre performance etc. The tyres worked better than I thought they would and the wheel size for me on a Med and 5’10 felt very nimble and coming from a 29er felt quicker to turn and accelerate.
Love the blue of the RS, with the light graphics. It looks like a great bike and rode really well. Weight wise, yep it’s an emtb and it seemed to weigh approx the same as the others I have tried!

There were no downhill stuff there but on the twisty flat stuff it was good!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Coming from a Levo, I didn’t notice any increase in noise that was much different from the Levo’s Brose. Possibly a slight pitch difference but certainly not enough to make me say no!
It's interesting how people have different perspectives on the noise the motors make.
Yes battery is more difficult to remove but it’s a 2 min job as opposed to a 1 min job.
It took the Whyte service guy over 15 minutes to swap the battery in the e180...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup there is no way its a 2 minute job, I have removed the battery a couple of times on the 150RS and its a faff

Jezzer

Oct 25, 2018
Hampshire
It's interesting how people have different perspectives on the noise the motors make.
Yes battery is more difficult to remove but it’s a 2 min job as opposed to a 1 min job.
It took the Whyte service guy over 15 minutes to swap the battery in the e180...

They had an issue with the 180 today and it was a faff. Apparently it’s a Pre production bike so not as smooth as it will be. They have changed the bottom bracket area and the fitting is better now apparently.

Last edited:

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
I am seriously considering buying a 150rs but just can't convince myself it looks like a £5k bike.

The stealthy blue paint and discrete graphics are a big departure from previous Whytes, which had bold colours and eye catching graphics.

Some of the details on the E150 look a bit "agricultural" in particular the welded brackets for the rear shock mount and the wires hanging out of its bottom.

I know it's all about the riding but at the end of the day you've got to like what you see when you open the garage door.

It may come down to the deal I can get, what if any discount have buyers been able to get (please don't name dealers) I'm just curious to know if it's the standard 10% or if more is possible.

............oh and then there's the 3 month delivery :(

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
When did 10% become standard?

I could name quite a few shops who won’t shift from RRP.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles