2020 Trek Rail??

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Thats a great article on the trek Rail. I rode a 2019 specialized levo expert and it was very loud, they replaced the motor and did so on whoever said they wanted it it seemed. Is this new bosch cx motor as loud as the brose on the levo? Is it much louder than the last years bosch? How noisy is the Bosch???

Erider

Jun 24, 2019
Denmark
Thats a great article on the trek Rail. I rode a 2019 specialized levo expert and it was very loud, they replaced the motor and did so on whoever said they wanted it it seemed. Is this new bosch cx motor as loud as the brose on the levo? Is it much louder than the last years bosch? How noisy is the Bosch???
It is noisy going steep uphill in high cadance, but on the trail it is way less noisy then the old one.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
It is noisy going steep uphill in high cadance, but on the trail it is way less noisy then the old one.
Nice. The writers that wrote the articles recently on the bike should have said its quieter than the previous model. One in fact said it’s louder. A bike shop said it’s quieter. Wonder if anyone else has tested it that’s reading this?

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Nice. The writers that wrote the articles recently on the bike should have said its quieter than the previous model. One in fact said it’s louder. A bike shop said it’s quieter. Wonder if anyone else has tested it that’s reading this?

I've ridden the Whyte with Gen4 Bosche motor, and thought it quiet.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Thats good. It must be more quiet than a Levo. What do you think?
Unlikely.
The Brose is the quietest motor at the moment, far quieter than my Gen 3 Performance CX.

I'll be test-riding a Whyte next weekend so I'll know more then.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Unlikely.
The Brose is the quietest motor at the moment, far quieter than my Gen 3 Performance CX.

The brose on the 2019 levo expert sounded louder than the hiabike yamaha or bosch until specialized replaced it then it sounded about the same. Wonder if the new bosch is quiter like some say...

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Doesn't the Brose run with a rubber toothed belt, whilst the Bosch has meshing gears. It's the gears that whine a bit.
I was happy with the level of Gen4 motor noise on the Whyte, on a short road test.
I've booked onto a Whyte demo day, so I will see how it sounds on an uphill trail climb.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Unlikely.

The brose on the 2019 levo expert sounded louder than the hiabike yamaha or bosch until specialized replaced it then it sounded about the same. Wonder if the new bosch is quiter like some say...

I never heard one of the noisy Brose motors before they were replaced.

The only time that be heard a Brose motor make as much noise as my Bosch or my mates Shimano was when the Brose was fucked.

Foxy87

Aug 18, 2019
Switzerland
Today is the Big Day!!
Trek have released the all new Rail.
I've had the privilege to testride this awesome bike for the last three weeks and will keep testing it until I get my own in a month?
? Him self Tony Ottesen? Location: Fyns Hoved. Denmark
@trekbikesdenmark #ridelikeabosch
View attachment 18468

Hey

Is ther any chance you could do me a favour and measure the diameter (or lets say the thickness) of the downtube? Would really appreciate because I want to know If I can install Mac Ride to go on rides with my son.

If I am lucky I will get mine (9.8 black) in October!

Thanks a lot!

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Doesn't the Brose run with a rubber toothed belt, whilst the Bosch has meshing gears. It's the gears that whine a bit.
I was happy with the level of Gen4 motor noise on the Whyte, on a short road test.
Yep, it's those gears that whine a bit but for me it was perfectly acceptable - I rode one in a Focus Thron at the w/e and it was just a slightly higher pitched whine than the old one, but not louder. For me it's somewhat of a non-issue comparing it to the quieter Brose, since that motor has provide itself probably the least reliable out there to date (I know 5 people with Levos who have had a cumulative 7 motor replacements under warranty).

Foxy87

Aug 18, 2019
Switzerland

Great thank you! Considering Mac Ride has 100mm of space with the ebike adapter, it definitely will fit. It will be tight though with just 3mm gap on each side but I will put on some tape on the frame spots there to prevent it from getting scratched!

Thanks man

Erider

Jun 24, 2019
Denmark
Great thank you! Considering Mac Ride has 100mm of space with the ebike adapter, it definitely will fit. It will be tight though with just 3mm gap on each side but I will put on some tape on the frame spots there to prevent it from getting scratched!

Thanks man
No worries ?

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Yep, it's those gears that whine a bit but for me it was perfectly acceptable - I rode one in a Focus Thron at the w/e and it was just a slightly higher pitched whine than the old one, but not louder. For me it's somewhat of a non-issue comparing it to the quieter Brose, since that motor has provide itself probably the least reliable out there to date (I know 5 people with Levos who have had a cumulative 7 motor replacements under warranty).

Yep add me to the list. They replaced the 2019 levo motor. Would you rather have the new trek rail 9.7, a new kenevo or the cannondale montero se?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I rode 2 bikes with the new Bosch motor today.

It's quieter than the old motor but louder than the Levo.

Somewhat disconcerting was the fact that the three bikes that were out on the Demo with me all sounded different. One of them sounded so bad that I'd be looking for a replacement motor.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yep add me to the list. They replaced the 2019 levo motor. Would you rather have the new trek rail 9.7, a new kenevo or the cannondale montero se?
Of those three probably the Trek, but I still wouldn’t buy a carbon one as it’s both expensive and has ugly colours when compared to the Whyte. The alloy Rails are better value and seem more comparable in spec. I would never buy a Brose motored bike until they can improve their reliability significantly.

Last edited:

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho
Hey

Is ther any chance you could do me a favour and measure the diameter (or lets say the thickness) of the downtube? Would really appreciate because I want to know If I can install Mac Ride to go on rides with my son.

If I am lucky I will get mine (9.8 black) in October!

Thanks a lot!
Pictures please... Is it loud? Like it more than a cannondale montera se with boxxer?

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I've booked onto a Whyte demo day, so I will see how it sounds on an uphill trail climb.

Yep, I rode the Whyte today, and motor noise is not an issue for me.
Now to decide e-150rs or Rail??

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
There's not much gap between the chain and chainstay when in a high gear, I wonder if this will result in alot of noisey slap when decending. That would drive me crazy.
I think I'll go Whyte.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles