2020 - Meta Power

Jack AUS

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
We do all DH or bike park type riding so was looking for something more aggressive than say a Levo or 2019 Norco VLT. Wanted something long travel and was keen on a coil. I thought the Kenevo was dated so wasn’t interested in that.

I was interested in the Decoy but they have only just become available in Aus, are more expensive and after sales service was a worry. Commencal at least have an office in Australia.

The top spec suspension was also a big selling point at a reasonable price on the Meta.

I would have been keen on the 2020 Norco Range VLT but my Meta was in the post by the time they were released a few days ago.

First impressions of the Meta are that’s it’s not as big as I was expecting even though the specs say it is. I had a medium Giant Glory and Reign and was expecting the Meta to be bigger after crunching the numbers but it doesn’t seem to be.

May 14, 2019
NSW
Yeh I'm definitely in the decision boat right now. Contemplating the power SX or the Propain Ekano.

As id like to use it for enduro/trails/epic back country stuff and park I'm concerned the SX head angle could be a bit too slack? But I def want the travel, and to stick to 650b or a mullet at most - don't really wanna go 29 (so that takes the meta power out of the question).

Hence why I'm so keen on your impressions haha. Also at 5'10, I'm thinking large, but you went medium yeh? How tall are you?

Jack AUS

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I was looking at the Propain Spindrift before the Meta SX was released. Having a distributor in Aus is definitely a plus and they seemed very helpful when I was talking to them.

The SX is designed as a park bike. I don't think its designed for all day epics. I think the Meta 29er would be unreal and I wouldn't discount it based on having the bigger wheels. If it had a coil shock it would have been a tough decision for me. It sounds like it would be ideal for what you want to do.

I did get a medium. I'm 5'11 so was right in the middle of the sizing. I was worried the large was going to be a big bike and I wanted something easily maneuverable. But if I had my time again I would have got a large but I don't think it will be worry once I start riding.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
The SX is designed as a park bike. I don't think its designed for all day epics. I think the Meta 29er would be unreal and I wouldn't discount it based on having the bigger wheels. If it had a coil shock it would have been a tough decision for me. It sounds like it would be ideal for what you want to do.
I talked to Commencal before ordering the Team 29’er, as I was looking at the SX as well, but they made me change my mind as they said that the 29’er is their trail/Enduro recommendation, and the SX is more for bike park, and as I’m more into trail/Enduro that made me change my mind. Still looking forward to read about how the SX rides :)

Jack AUS

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Got out for a few hours tonight. I was impressed. I don’t have a lot to compare it to other than my previous Giant Reign and Glory and a Norco VLT 2 I demoed.

Suspension was super plush, felt a lot more like my DH than enduro. Brakes bedded in quick and felt solid. It jumped well and I could move it around no worries. No big jumps, just what you’d expect on a flow trail type set up.

Felt miles better than the Norco VLT 2 but that’s expected with far better components. But I’d say the Norco felt more like an enduro where as the SX reminded me more of a DH.

Marcin

Sep 20, 2019
Ireland
Got out for a few hours tonight. I was impressed. I don’t have a lot to compare it to other than my previous Giant Reign and Glory and a Norco VLT 2 I demoed.

Suspension was super plush, felt a lot more like my DH than enduro. Brakes bedded in quick and felt solid. It jumped well and I could move it around no worries. No big jumps, just what you’d expect on a flow trail type set up.

Felt miles better than the Norco VLT 2 but that’s expected with far better components. But I’d say the Norco felt more like an enduro where as the SX reminded me more of a DH.

I have already ordered SX and waiting for shipping now. I’m thinking if I should change order to 29er. Can you please let me know how does SX feels compare to Giant Reign 27,5 (my current bike) ? Cheers

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
15th of November at the moment for Uk delivery on an sx,love the spec of this monster I think the only part that I would of expected at the price compared to the 29r is the rims,would of expected DT Swiss 1700 not the 1900 series,I’d still buy one now though if it was in stock?The 2019 metapower 27 race is now £3700 with killer spec I am very tempted?

Last edited:

Marcin

Sep 20, 2019
Ireland
SX looks awesome on that vid, looks like he really push load dose bars on climb, but I guess it’s really step and he would need to do it on any other bike. I’m more confused after then vid now, I wonder how SX will handle twisty single track.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
SX looks awesome on that vid, looks like he really push load dose bars on climb, but I guess it’s really step and he would need to do it on any other bike. I’m more confused after then vid now, I wonder how SX will handle twisty single track.
I know even though they are out of stock till 15th November they are working out at about £4800 which is a cracking price,so tempted to order one?

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Anyone knows how Commencal handles warranty issues for e-bikes? Can Shimano centers handle motor warranties or does it have to go back?

LordExplorer

Aug 20, 2019
Denver
Anyone knows how Commencal handles warranty issues for e-bikes? Can Shimano centers handle motor warranties or does it have to go back?

I was look at the new Team and stopped by their US HQ. I was told there that you can do either; send directly to Shimano or to them and they’d deal with it. Considering the HQ is only 10 min from me, the latter was more appealing for me

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I’ve just ordered an sx,I think I’ve had a decoy in a basket several times and was waiting for canyons new offerings but I’ve liked this bike since day one of looking into emtb’s just got to wait till mid November now!??

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
I’ve just ordered an sx,I think I’ve had a decoy in a basket several times and was waiting for canyons new offerings but I’ve liked this bike since day one of looking into emtb’s just got to wait till mid November now!??
Until Commencal released the two new beasts, the Decoy was on my wish list, but then I got back to Commencal. Fist I had set set my eyes on the SX but after second thoughts and a chat with the guys at Commencal I ordered the 29 Power, which should ship in October ?

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Bugger Paypal have declined my purchase because of there crappy exchange rate just exceeded my credit limit?looks like I will have to do a bank transfer ?

Jack AUS

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I have already ordered SX and waiting for shipping now. I’m thinking if I should change order to 29er. Can you please let me know how does SX feels compare to Giant Reign 27,5 (my current bike) ? Cheers

Previous to the SX I had a 2016 Reign 1 so to compare - suspension in miles apart. The SX feels super plush, much more comparable to a DH as you would expect with a coil shock and a 180mm top spec fork. The suspension feel is the main difference between to two. Given that the 29er has a air-shock maybe the suspension would be more comparable to the Reign? But i'd only be guessing given I haven ridden one. After riding the SX a couple of times now I'd say that if you enjoy the Reign you'd easily be able to transfer to the SX. The SX is nimble and easy to put where you want it to go. Its just heavier, as any ebike will be. I think it all depends on the type of riding you want to do.

It climbs really well, I spent my time riding up the DH push up track at my local which is steep and technical. I also rode it in boost the entire time as I'm either going up or down.

I can't comment on its trail riding abilities but I can stay I'm absolutely stoked on my purchases. For DH/park type riding its exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019
NSW
Previous to the SX I had a 2016 Reign 1 so to compare - suspension in miles apart. The SX feels super plush, much more comparable to a DH as you would expect with a coil shock and a 180mm top spec fork. The suspension feel is the main difference between to two. Given that the 29er has a air-shock maybe the suspension would be more comparable to the Reign? But i'd only be guessing given I haven ridden one. After riding the SX a couple of times now I'd say that if you enjoy the Reign you'd easily be able to transfer to the SX. The SX is nimble and easy to put where you want it to go. Its just heavier, as any ebike will be. I think it all depends on the type of riding you want to do.

It climbs really well, I spent my time riding up the DH push up track at my local which is steep and technical. I also rode it in boost the entire time as I'm either going up or down.

I can't comment on its trail riding abilities but I can stay I'm absolutely stoked on my purchases. For DH/park type riding its exactly what I was looking for.

How's that slack head angle on the climbs? Does it have that negative of an effect? Or is it actually alright?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
These look great, along with the decoy. Ive just bought a kenevo for a super low price which I'm over the moon with, but for sure if that hadn't come along, it would have been one of these.
My reason not to buy commencals along with many others used to be press fit bottom brackets. Just no. But this is no longer an issue with ebikes.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
These look great, along with the decoy. Ive just bought a kenevo for a super low price which I'm over the moon with, but for sure if that hadn't come along, it would have been one of these.
My reason not to buy commencals along with many others used to be press fit bottom brackets. Just no. But this is no longer an issue with ebikes.
Well of course it’s not a problem on the e-bikes, but I’ve never found it a problem on the ½ hour job replacing the press fit BB, I would on the contrary not prefer anything but a press fit BB ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles