W2K_Ride Plotted.jpg
boytie

W2K_Ride Plotted.jpg

My brother took me for a ride in Taupo that goes to Kinloch.

13–22.5km, Grade 3/intermediate, 2.5–3.5 hours

The popular W2K section can be ridden in either direction but – despite its name – is most commonly started in Kinloch. From there the options are either to ride to Whakaipo Bay (13km) and return to Kinloch via water taxi or shuttle (Whakaipo Bay has a basic DOC campground and is accessible by road); ride as far as the top of the headland and circuit the popular Headland Loop (20km in all); or ride to Whakaipo Bay and back (26km) with the option of adding in the Loop (9.5km).

From the Kinloch marina, the track climbs steadily through native bush onto the headland to meet the aptly named Headland Loop. This 9.5km trail is optional but, with stunning views out to Tongariro National Park and the Kaimanawa Ranges, it would be a shame to miss it!

Where the Headland Loop track rejoins the main trail it’s is a fast and flowing descent to pretty Whakaipo Bay, popular with swimmers, picnickers and boaties. Return the same way or await your water taxi.

Once again, this ride sees you finish in Kinloch where you can enjoy an ice cream or a meal, and watch the comings and goings on in the marina.

I plan to also do the K2K and will return in summer and do the W2K again and again.
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Album
Me and my Specialized Levo Turbo Expert 2019
Added by
boytie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata