Wiggle...where next ?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I was under the impression that everybody at Nukeproof and Vitus were gone. Would be great if they would get back into business.
Mike Ashley bought the company along will, I assume, the intellectual property of the associated companies, Vitus etc, don't hold your breath hoping that he would understand the success and following those brands have, I really can't see him honouring any outstanding warranties or further developing brands he just doesn't understand.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The last thing he would want would be to encumbered with any of the old staff, with their service and pension entitlements. How he managed to avoid the TUPE legislation, I have no idea.

TUPE = Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment). It means that when you take over or buy a business the people transfer with their rights intact. The definition is pretty wide.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Merlin, Leisure Lake or Rutland Cycles for me if buying online. My LBS is good for price matching and seem to be able to get stock when the others can't.

Stock levels are interesting at the mo (i.e. pretty rubbish all round)

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
How about using local bike shops…..sorry but I just cannot understand why everyone wants to shop online,at this rate there won’t be any local shops left.My local shop has never failed to match prices and give me as a loyal customer a discount on everything I buy,from 4 grand bikes down to brake pads.
Just saying

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
How about using local bike shops…..sorry but I just cannot understand why everyone wants to shop online,at this rate there won’t be any local shops left.My local shop has never failed to match prices and give me as a loyal customer a discount on everything I buy,from 4 grand bikes down to brake pads.
Just saying
Im with you. I used to use online shops mostly as they were able to get much better prices but thats not the case (at least for me) anymore. Plus you can check fit etc before you leave the shop instead of having to send stuff back if it was the wrong size etc.

The thing I’ve been nervous about is what happens if you buy a bike etc and the shop gets shutdown. But after a recent poor service from a large Specialized dealer in the UK and a global corporate (CRC/Wiggle) going bust, all bets are off and I’ll be spending my money with the local community.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Im with you. I used to use online shops mostly as they were able to get much better prices but thats not the case (at least for me) anymore. Plus you can check fit etc before you leave the shop instead of having to send stuff back if it was the wrong size etc.

The thing I’ve been nervous about is what happens if you buy a bike etc and the shop gets shutdown. But after a recent poor service from a large Specialized dealer in the UK and a global corporate (CRC/Wiggle) going bust, all bets are off and I’ll be spending my money with the local community.
Dead right ,Most of the shops I see going bust are in fact the big on line dealers with outlets, most of our local shops are doing just fine as their customers are loyal to them,and I never have to wait more than a week for a part,most bits are only 2 days which is about the delivery time for the onlines.
To be honest I really don’t mind paying a couple of quid more for some things,I get to chat to guys in the shop and if I need a small discount so badly that I need to go online ,well,maybe I shouldn’t be riding an expensive bike in the first place.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
That's all very noble but in the real world, people love a bargain & bargains come from buying power & cost base. It's always cheaper to run a website & a warehouse than high street shops, that's not opinion, it's counting. By all means support your LBS, it's absolutely the right thing to do but don't kid yourself - people buy online in their droves for good reason. Old saying in business, if you want loyalty, buy a dog.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
That's all very noble but in the real world, people love a bargain & bargains come from buying power & cost base. It's always cheaper to run a website & a warehouse than high street shops, that's not opinion, it's counting. By all means support your LBS, it's absolutely the right thing to do but don't kid yourself - people buy online in their droves for good reason. Old saying in business, if you want loyalty, buy a dog.
Now you've got me thinking again about getting a trail dog... My wife is not going to be happy :LOL:

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Noble has nothing to do with it Rusty,my local shop can price match anything and have been for years.As for kidding myself,read my post.I said I dont mind paying an extra couple of quid for some things.
Lastly ,If buying online was so great then why are the big onlines the ones going bust.
There is a price below which you cannot go.
I ran my own bussiness very successfully for 32 years and was regularly asked to match cheaper sellers, I often did but there were many times I just said “go to the cheaper guy” In my 32 years of working I saw 4 of those who were trying to undercut me go to the wall….you do the maths.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
The only big online retailer to go bust in the last twelve months is CRC/Wiggle and their associated brands & if you don't know why they did, then you haven't been paying attention. The rest is just sentiment.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
The only big online retailer to go bust in the last twelve months is CRC/Wiggle and their associated brands & if you don't know why they did, then you haven't been paying attention. The rest is just sentiment.
Yep and look at the size of them !
several are joining forces to stop them having to compete with each other.Evans opened a shop close to where I live and have had repeated sales with little success and the shop is not doing well and thats according to the guys who work there.Look,buy your stuff where you want .
I prefer the LBS and their prices are very competitive.
But if people are happy ordering all their stuff off the web ,good for you ,just don’t whinge when your LBS goes under.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
All great if lbs can supply what you want at not too long a wait. Anything near me has limited stock and if I break something I want it replaced soon not when a shop is putting in an order next week. Not always about the price with me anyway.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
All great if lbs can supply what you want at not too long a wait. Anything near me has limited stock and if I break something I want it replaced soon not when a shop is putting in an order next week. Not always about the price with me anyway.
I can get what I want from LBS if not the same day then within a few days,in virtually every case no longer than the time it takes to order online and take delivery.Maybe my Local dealers are just good at what they do but all,3 of them are excellent.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I can get what I want from LBS if not the same day then within a few days,in virtually every case no longer than the time it takes to order online and take delivery.Maybe my Local dealers are just good at what they do but all,3 of them are excellent.
Don't have a local nearest Elgin 16 miles i suppose but expensive for anything I have bought. I have a friend ex dealer who still has Madison and Hope accounts and various other so I try to help him if I can. Not easy for small shops I imagine.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Don't have a local nearest Elgin 16 miles i suppose but expensive for anything I have bought. I have a friend ex dealer who still has Madison and Hope accounts and various other so I try to help him if I can. Not easy for small shops I imagine.
You’re quite right,I am a bit spoilt for choice and can understand why LBS is not always practical.
It’s nice in Elgin,passed through
last year on a campervan trip

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
If you’ve got a decent LBS, great, you’re lucky and why not use them.

Unfortunately, that’s not my experience, and I suspect I’m not alone. My local shop is Rutland Water Cycling, also an online seller as well of course (they’ve always been great with me, by the way) and that’s where I head off if I need something same day.

Not all LBSs stock everything though, hence online having its place. Indeed, many LBS also do online for those who aren’t local or don’t have time to visit one, so LBS = Good, Online = Bad is too simplistic really. Supporting a UK online retailer also supports UK jobs, how quickly the positive sentiment for Wiggle/CRC employees seems to have evaporated.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Lastly ,If buying online was so great then why are the big onlines the ones going bust.
There is a price below which you cannot go.

Wiggle/CRC fell victim to the property market in Europe.

This sadly has ripple on negative effects for lots of local bike shops, as well as the positives.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Wiggle/CRC fell victim to the property market in Europe.

This sadly has ripple on negative effects for lots of local bike shops, as well as the positives.
Fair do’s (to an extent)but if you think you are big enough to undercut everyone and eventually be the only player left ,something is going to come back and bite you.
Should maybe have just stuck with selling bike bits.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Should maybe have just stuck with selling bike bits.

Not exactly their fault what the parent company of their parent company gets up to.

The mtb world might be better if CRC hadn’t sold out to Wiggle and Wiggle hadn’t sold out to Signa Sports, but I can’t blame businesses owners wanting to cash out. It has driven a lot of people back to smaller resellers and local bike shops, so its probably net positive this way? If CRC hadn’t sucked for the last few years, I doubt I’d have discovered Winstanleys, Swinnerton, Team Cycles or used Tweeks/Tredz/Merlin anywhere near as much.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Not exactly their fault what the parent company of their parent company gets up to.

The mtb world might be better if CRC hadn’t sold out to Wiggle and Wiggle hadn’t sold out to Signa Sports, but I can’t blame businesses owners wanting to cash out. It has driven a lot of people back to smaller resellers and local bike shops, so its probably net positive this way? If CRC hadn’t sucked for the last few years, I doubt I’d have discovered Winstanleys, Swinnerton, Team Cycles or used Tweeks/Tredz/Merlin anywhere near as much.
I agree Dax,it’s sad but as you say if it makes a few of us re-evaluate our priorities and support more local businesses that can’t be all bad.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles