Rear axel

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Anyone else having an issue with rear axel loosening up during ride?

One month into season at Snow Summit here at Big Bear and braking bumps are getting ridiculous! Rear axel keeps loosening up and that's after me tightening the shit out of it.

Thinking about safety wiring it or using cable tie strap to keep it from moving once tight.

Thoughts?

Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
"Tightening the shit out of it" is not a winning strategy, you are sure to damage something vital. (And expensive).

I had a similar problem and this is what I did, zero problems since.

Remove the axle, clean it and especially the threads, all the way to the bottom of the grooves. Do the same for whatever it is screwing into, as best you can. Spray some iso-propyl alcohol or brake cleaner into there if you have to. Use a toothbrush if the hole is large enough!
Apply some Loctite Blue to the male thread and then torque it up to the specified level. Leave it for a while. I thought overnight was OK, but someone on here says 24 hours! I don't know what impact temperature might have on the curing time. Maybe the Loctite packaging will provide a clue.

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Thanks...never occurred to me to use Loctite on my axel. When I said "tightening the shit out of it" I meant by hand as there is no wrench surface available on the QR axel.

I think I'm going to try a cable tie first, then safety wire if necessary. If neither works I guess I'll consider Loctite.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks...never occurred to me to use Loctite on my axel. When I said "tightening the shit out of it" I meant by hand as there is no wrench surface available on the QR axel.

I think I'm going to try a cable tie first, then safety wire if necessary. If neither works I guess I'll consider Loctite.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers
Loctite Blue is not a permanent adhesive, it is a threadlock designed to resist components loosening under vibration. You can use with confidence that you will be able to remove your wheel later! You can buy it in small sticks that look a bit like a lipstick. It is a semi solid paste (blue) that you wipe over the threads.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
If you need loctite on the rear axle then something is not quite right. I once had a axle wind itself out when the axle cone nuts came loose and jamed it up and totally scewed it.
Generally if you fit the axle as normal and undo the centre bolt and point the lever backwards there is no reason for it to undo .

Lowrance

Sep 23, 2020
So Cal
Yep...very familiar with blue Loctite 242 a d 243. I have several motor bikes and have used it for decades. Never once on an axel though. I will try rotating the axel QR lever rearward. Had it forward which would apply g-force in the downward direction potentially loosening the axel. To the rear would drive it in the tightening direction.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Appreciate it.

Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yep...very familiar with blue Loctite 242 a d 243. I have several motor bikes and have used it for decades. Never once on an axel though. I will try rotating the axel QR lever rearward. Had it forward which would apply g-force in the downward direction potentially loosening the axel. To the rear would drive it in the tightening direction.

Thanks for all the tips guys! Appreciate it.

Cheers
Does the axle have an adjustment so that you can get the correct torque, but still have the lever in the place you want it to be? As a clue, the shaft near the head might have indicator lines painted on.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Anyone else having an issue with rear axel loosening up during ride?

One month into season at Snow Summit here at Big Bear and braking bumps are getting ridiculous! Rear axel keeps loosening up and that's after me tightening the shit out of it.

Thinking about safety wiring it or using cable tie strap to keep it from moving once tight.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Yes, this is common on YTDecoys.
just give it an extra nip by hand. You can pull out on the DT Swiss lever and move it to a Position for better grip then move it back after tightening.
An alternative is buying an aftermarket axle that uses a hex key to tighten.
Don’t go mad, it just needs a touch more than the usual ’casual’ tighten.

An indicator it is coming loose when riding is the chain occasionally trying to jump to another ring without a gear change.

Not sure Loctite is a good idea on something designed To be undone by hand.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles