Knee Pads

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
I’m thinking of getting myself some, but as 1) I have 2 quite different sized upper knees (my left has swelling from a sprain a few years ago, that just doesn’t go away), and 2) reference to point 1, when riding I wear a light knee support for prevention, so need the pads to offer similar support preferably.

So, in your experience, do knee pads offer support? And are there any you recommend?

I’ve looked at Ion K-Pact Zip, which appears to have a wide enough range of fit to work for both of my knees, anyone got experience of them?

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I got some "Troy Lee Designs" knee/shin pads online, from Chain Reaction I think. They are pretty tough and protect my complete lower legs from grazes, nettles and blackberry bushes when trail riding. The elasticated cuff provides a degree of compression but not so much that they pinch or nip. I think they are good value.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
I ride the mentioned Ion K-Pact Zip for 2,5 years now and i'm pretty happy with them. They're very light, easy to attach/detach, and don't disturb much when pedaling.
I can recommend them, but fair to say, it happened a couple of times, that the zipper got stuck, but i guess it was my fault of being a bit too fast.

But if you want to wear them ALWAYS for knee support, even when pedaling the long uphills they might even be too much... maybe keep the knee-supporting- bandage for the uphill and put on the Ions for the downhill. Since they're very light you can easily attach them to the backpack or inside, or to the bike (i have them attached to my seatpost under the saddle when doing the long uphills in the alps)

Oh and i crashed a couple of times wearing them and never hurt my knees. Ellbow, shoulder, ribs, arms, hands, finger... but not my knees :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
G form....compression fit...no zips velcros or buckles. They are light and provide support as well as protection sufficient for most mtb riding. Get the Elite or Pro versions for better materials.

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
I’ll have a look at sizing on the g-forms I think, compression is quite important and they look well designed for that, perhaps better than the ion model.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles