Brake safe cleaning products?

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
As well as my ebike I ride an Inspired Fourplay with Magura MT7's which you only have to breathe on (slight exaggeration) in order to contaminate the pads and rotors and as the style of riding that that bike sees doesn't generate any heat in the pads and rotors contamination is always only fixed by replacing it all so whenever I clean that bike the pads and wheels get removed and after cleaning the the bike I gently rub the wheels down with some muc-off on a cloth and then refit the pads and wheels but this doesn't happen very often because it's very rare that it actually gets dirty anyway as it's a street trials bike. I did also have a regular MTB but just pressure washing that with plain water at a low pressure always did the trick but I don't want to go blasting the emtb so will need to rely on some cleaning products to break down the dirt a bit.

So now I have an eMTB I'm wondering how I'm going to regularly clean it without having to go through the faff that I do with the trials bike? Are there any cleaners that won't contaminate my pads? I'm kind of thinking that I'll remove the battery, hose everything off with just a hose (maybe a pressure washer turned down low, but obviously not blasted anywhere it shouldn't be), cover the brake calipers with plastic bags or something and the rotors with tin foil or whatever then apply some kind of brake safe cleaner, agitate then hose off.

And when it comes to degreasing the chain and cassette I'll have to again cover the calipers and rotors and brush on some degreaser of some kind, rinse off and brush on some lube.

So, how are y'all doing it and what are you using?

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
99% alcohol and a paper towel. Do not use a rag.

If you need to clean the pad, fresh sandpaper, then alcohol and a paper towel.

Don't spray anything else on the rotors or pads.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
99% alcohol and a paper towel. Do not use a rag.

If you need to clean the pad, fresh sandpaper, then alcohol and a paper towel.

Don't spray anything else on the rotors or pads.
Thanks but for reference I was wondering what products to use to clean the rest of the bike, something wouldn't matter if it got on the pads and rotors.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To clean the bike I just use a couple of brushes and then a damp rag. Then cover the callipers with paper towel and use silicone shine on a soft cloth to finish off. To clean the chain I use a used muc off spray bottle with degreaser and work that in with 2 tooth brushes. Then wipe clean and spray with water..from a used Muc off bottle. Wipe and leave a while to dry then lube with dry lube.

ps if you bike is invisiframed you are mostly only cleaning plastic:p

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use "Sh1t Shifter" from Hope (yes, the bike parts maker). I spray it neat onto the oily bits and then brush in then hose off with water. The spray and the subsequent water splash go everywhere. I have no problems with brake contamination. I also mix up a weaker solution in a spray bottle when the bike is particularly mucky and give it a good dowsing all over the bike.

This cleaner does not harm aluminium, carbon fibre, anodised components, or paint.

The following link is to show you the product, but I buy it in 5-litre containers and tip it into garden sprayers.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I use "Sh1t Shifter" from Hope (yes, the bike parts maker). I spray it neat onto the oily bits and then brush in then hose off with water. The spray and the subsequent water splash go everywhere. I have no problems with brake contamination. I also mix up a weaker solution in a spray bottle when the bike is particularly mucky and give it a good dowsing all over the bike.

This cleaner does not harm aluminium, carbon fibre, anodised components, or paint.

The following link is to show you the product, but I buy it in 5-litre containers and tip it into garden sprayers.

That's really good to know, thanks!

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I've been using Dawn brand dish washing soap from the kitchen (washing up liquid in UK?) for years. My brakes work just as well after a bike wash as they do when I wipe the disks and pads with CRC Brakleen. Better, even, because I usually need to re-bed them a few times after using Brakleen, but not after a bike wash. I only use products marketed as a degreaser to clean the chain with my Park Tool CM25 (the Cyclone broke).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles